Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3746508 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5025 on: January 18, 2013, 08:05:09 am »

I believe Toady mentioned new sites will be founded, including around your fortress. Curses, rampages, and conversions could also occur within good reason. Toady did mention the sites don't expand though, but it may have been in gameplay - do sites expand in worldgen as of the current release, or not besides the general upscaling from town to city?

Trade does happen in the world and stuff will be moved around from place to place. Getting the economy to work is a completely different matter, and it had been deliberately broken as of DF2010.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: January 18, 2013, 11:13:02 am »

Will invasions wake up nearby... residents?
I'm assuming you mean things such as night creatures and megabeasts, judging by the ellipsis. Toady hasn't mentioned anything specifically about waking them up, but as soldiers tend to attack nearby enemy units, and semimegabeasts and the like are considered enemies by default, they'll likely go charging into a dragon's lair completely of their own accord, which could be fun to watch. Especially if the now-enraged dragon storms out and starts slaying people. I imagine a large enough army could take it down by themselves, which would be great to see in legends mode, and even cooler to witness firsthand as an allied adventurer.

Basically, yes, it will be possible. But it won't be guaranteed to happen every time.

And a question of my own:
Will NPC sentients have any chance of becoming necromancers/night creatures after world gen is over?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:16:44 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: January 18, 2013, 05:02:30 pm »

Will invasions wake up nearby... residents?
I'm assuming you mean things such as night creatures and megabeasts, judging by the ellipsis. Toady hasn't mentioned anything specifically about waking them up, but as soldiers tend to attack nearby enemy units, and semimegabeasts and the like are considered enemies by default, they'll likely go charging into a dragon's lair completely of their own accord, which could be fun to watch. Especially if the now-enraged dragon storms out and starts slaying people. I imagine a large enough army could take it down by themselves, which would be great to see in legends mode, and even cooler to witness firsthand as an allied adventurer.

Basically, yes, it will be possible. But it won't be guaranteed to happen every time.

And a question of my own:
Will NPC sentients have any chance of becoming necromancers/night creatures after world gen is over?

Though Toady seemed to say that the big beasties don't do much moving around yet. So I assume that means we won't see them interact with armies yet. Unless Toady decides to make them move around sometime before the update is released, of course.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: January 18, 2013, 05:42:18 pm »

Not of their own accord, of course. What I meant is, if the area of the map where they are is loaded. The tough part would be staying alive through the attack, of course, which is why I mentioned legends mode - hiding out somewhere while it all went down would be an effective strategy, if you just want to see the aftermath.

Edit: This assumes, of course, that armies will actually move, and not just teleport.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:11:29 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: January 19, 2013, 09:30:18 am »

Something I've been mulling over related to the in-game worldgen thing is, will these secondary worldgens update the raws?
Basically what I'm asking is will we be able to generate a "normal" world, play it for awhile, then mod in the discovery of guns to shake things up in a second worldgen?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: January 19, 2013, 10:22:14 am »

Something I've been mulling over related to the in-game worldgen thing is, will these secondary worldgens update the raws?
Basically what I'm asking is will we be able to generate a "normal" world, play it for awhile, then mod in the discovery of guns to shake things up in a second worldgen?
Even when we have time skips, they won't be as fast as worldgen. So doing something like that may be impractical, unless you run it overnight or something.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: January 19, 2013, 10:31:34 am »

But theoretically you COULD make modifications to already started games after this update?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: January 19, 2013, 11:41:08 am »

But theoretically you COULD make modifications to already started games after this update?

Maybe. But the update may break compatibility, given all the new things and tags.

I'm almost certain to start a new fort when the release comes out.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: January 19, 2013, 03:41:42 pm »

I don't think he meant a world generated in this version.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: January 19, 2013, 11:16:11 pm »

You can already make some changes to raws that don't require a re-gen. I imagine that won't change.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: January 20, 2013, 12:05:47 am »

Quote from: devlog 1-19
I needed to add more coordinate information to all of the active historical figures, and that had to be respected all through everywhere, so there went a day, he he he. People are eminently huntable now, though, even when they aren't traveling. I'm also working on a debug mode that lets me zip around and look at all the armies since it isn't easy to get the whole picture just running it in the standard play modes. I'm not sure if it'll be used directly later, but it's at least good to start thinking about that kind of thing. The next real step is to get the goblins to think about controlling the villages associated to the town they are taking simultaneously, so that they can still feed their captive humans once food use goes in (at least some of them, since the largest cities will depend on food from farther away).

What potential applications were you thinking of? Divination spells? Scouting reports for generals and the like? "Kingdom Mode?" Something else entirely?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: January 20, 2013, 10:31:18 am »

I really couldn't understand the distinction Toady made between villages and towns. Is he talking about hamlets and regular, keep-and-dungeon towns?

When goblins attempt to capture a village, are they hostile to the entire population of the site as to get control of it? Or will they keep their relationships with neutral and even friendly entities already living there?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: January 20, 2013, 11:36:59 am »

Alright, so we have armies moving around the map. These armies are going to include the ones sieging us, right?

What potential applications were you thinking of? Divination spells? Scouting reports for generals and the like? "Kingdom Mode?" Something else entirely?

I believe the idea is if you want to find someone, you can find them. Any historical figure, that is.

If you were referring to debug mode applications for players, it might be something like that. We'd need a magic system first, though.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: January 20, 2013, 12:15:00 pm »

I really couldn't understand the distinction Toady made between villages and towns. Is he talking about hamlets and regular, keep-and-dungeon towns?
Yes. Your hamlets generally don't have Markets, because their goods are directed to central sites, consisting almost entirely of foodstuffs.

It's like the concept of hill dwarves. Hamlets are "hill humans".

I believe it would work. There shouldn't be any problem. Just like if you mod in a weapon after genning now and have your people make and use it.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: January 20, 2013, 01:59:34 pm »

Alright, so we have armies moving around the map. These armies are going to include the ones sieging us, right?
It's at least a plan for the upcoming release. I'm pretty sure there's a better quote than the below for that, but I can't find it right now.

Quote from: Spish
Will the alert system apply to any other sites that are inhabited by armies? Like, say, a conquered player fortress?
Quote from: Phlum
When an alert is given, the offended entity doesn't yet know of the offence, right? In other words, is it possible to kill a guard before he alerts others and not become enemy of a civ?

Player fortresses that have been conquered haven't been shifted over to the new system of occupation, because player fortresses are still not attacked by actual armies (though we're playing to snag that soon).

The cascading nature of alert information is still a work in progress, but yeah, there are going to be different levels of information passed along to the entity depending on when you kill the guard.  Even after the alert is raised, until the guard gives a report, I don't think your information will be passed along -- ideally, even after the report, they'd just have your appearance, but it's still tricky to store that as a properly abstracted chunk of information.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 748