Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3746703 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5415 on: February 22, 2013, 08:58:56 pm »

If you can use your witty banter to throw an opponent off guard with your social skills

Yes. I want this.

I want this today.

"You fight like a dairy farmer." ... "How appropriate. You fight like a cow." ... ?

That would be hilarious. XD

But in dwarf fortress, the latter would be a compliment. Damn hooves and horns...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: February 22, 2013, 09:50:39 pm »

But in dwarf fortress, the latter would be a compliment. Damn hooves and horns...

Not to mention, due to token streamlining, they have more powerful jaws than a crocodile.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: February 22, 2013, 11:38:14 pm »

These latest updates make me wonder if perhaps we'll be able to give some basic orders to our followers sometime soon.  Being able to yell for people to break off their attack on the herd of camels or whatever seems like it fits with what's being done.  Also the devlog seems to hint at the possible near-future of equipping one's followers, which would be a very good thing. 
where is up?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: February 22, 2013, 11:46:39 pm »

The bane of many adventurer is the night time kobold ambush.
In the event of an ambush could we call our soldiers to us as to not be so scattered? and in such a scenario how likely are they to route?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: February 22, 2013, 11:57:30 pm »

So companions will be more fleshed out and needing reasons, but hopefully we can still have fire-forged friends who will follow you to the HFS and back.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: February 23, 2013, 12:06:24 am »

Quote from: bit of new devlog
I haven't handled drunks yet -- the "hey, that sounds like fun!" agreement is kind of a loose sort-of-understanding, and not really a "meeting of the minds" since one party to the agreement is pickled. In that case, I'm not sure there really needs to be an agreement but rather a periodic BAC check on the companion link.

This is hilarious and I can't wait to roll into town, rile up a bunch of drunks, hand out swords and bits of metal on a stick, roll up to the goblins and watch them all sober up at the same time. Should be good fun when they sober up out in the woods halfway to a dragon's lair and no idea how to get home.

And near-term equipping of allies sounds very good to me, I hope it makes it in for this release! Given the general state of the adventure mode economy there are few items I can't afford to live without, and plenty of stuff to hand out to willing allies. I wonder how far we are from Training the Peaceful Villagers- personal guess is that it'll come in with the rest of the thief role.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:49 am »

Tedious squad equipment management: now in Adventure mode too.

At some point, will we be able to have a big bag (or mule, or other storage system) and just tell our buddies to take what they want/need?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5422 on: February 23, 2013, 12:21:56 am »

So companions will be more fleshed out and needing reasons, but hopefully we can still have fire-forged friends who will follow you to the HFS and back.

Yeah, I'm definitely leaving room in the companion link for this so that an association can outlive the original agreement.  Zach and I were discussing the post-insurrection period yesterday, where you'd essentially have a chat with all your partners and see who's up for Stage 2 of the adventuring life, and at that point personality might come up as much as anything, without the "but my profession is X so I'd rather not" part getting in the way of everything.  So if you recruit 20, 12 survive and you keep 4 after the talk, they might stick around forever since it is deep-rooted in their mindset.  We can work on further bonds of friendship and so on after that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: February 23, 2013, 12:25:12 am »

Yeah, I'm definitely leaving room in the companion link for this so that an association can outlive the original agreement.  Zach and I were discussing the post-insurrection period yesterday, where you'd essentially have a chat with all your partners and see who's up for Stage 2 of the adventuring life, and at that point personality might come up as much as anything, without the "but my profession is X so I'd rather not" part getting in the way of everything.  So if you recruit 20, 12 survive and you keep 4 after the talk, they might stick around forever since it is deep-rooted in their mindset.  We can work on further bonds of friendship and so on after that.

Awesome! I look forward to dialogue with my new brothers/sisters in arms :D

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:23 am »

Question:

Are there plans for civilizations to randomly have religious prohibitions against eating or drinking certain things?

Fat Tuesday and the onset of Lent got me thinking of this. But I was wondering, with all the spheres and random deities and religious stuff, if it would be appropriate for certain religious taboos, like a civ might have one or more deities forbid the consumption, sale, and/or production of alcohol, poultry, or fish, or meat, or alcohol, veggies, eggs, etc. Or maybe just a single plant or animal.

Though, obviously, this would have to be in moderation else trade would be hurt and, in extreme cases, civs might start to starve.

I figured, though, that if a civ was in short supply of food they'd just ignore the religious mandate. People would be like, "Yeah... but I'm starving! If there's nothing else to eat, to heck with that!" :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: February 23, 2013, 12:52:38 am »

And it might only be for certain days, and it might come from a myth influenced by historical events or other not so random things. For instance, a civilization worshiping a rat got might consider rat meat too holy to eat.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: February 23, 2013, 05:30:29 am »

Which of the changes in this upcoming release, if any, will percolate into Legends mode, and in what ways? In other words, how will Legends mode change?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: February 23, 2013, 07:06:15 am »

Quote from: Toady one
In our ongoing 'moments of restraint' boss rush, I'm currently up against the conversation engine.

I can only assume that Toady lost the battle of restraint against the conversation engine, and that he is now forced to add in lots of new features. This is absolutely fine, as the new changes look very, very cool.

I just fear that he might add in that random poetry generator he threatened us with in the past...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: February 23, 2013, 07:42:06 am »

Oh great toady, I come before you as a humble and happy servant, my question is have you done something regarding soldiers eating and drinking while on duty and not storing their food to root in chests on their barracks?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: February 23, 2013, 08:04:17 am »

Tedious squad equipment management: now in Adventure mode too.

In fortress mode it is as tedious as you want it to be, to be honest. Granted, it won't always work, but at least the framework is there and may be used in adventurer mode too.
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 748