Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3746696 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5430 on: February 23, 2013, 08:27:37 am »

Toady, are you going to use the new agreement code from Adventure Mode to expand at all on trade agreements or diplomatizing in Fort Mode?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: February 23, 2013, 11:57:07 am »

I just fear that he might add in that random poetry generator he threatened us with in the past...

:(  You just had to remind him of that, didn't you?  :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: February 23, 2013, 12:03:54 pm »

Toady, are you going to use the new agreement code from Adventure Mode to expand at all on trade agreements or diplomatizing in Fort Mode?

Quote from: Toady One
The agreements will eventually be used to handle actual contracts you make with mercenaries and so on (and I also have them in mind to gobble up all the dwarf mode agreements in time as well)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: February 23, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »

I love the new devlog. How many games even HAVE periodic BAC checks for your underlings?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: February 23, 2013, 12:17:41 pm »

I love the new devlog. How many games even HAVE periodic BAC checks for your underlings?
Gentlemen, I see the answer now. In order to keep good underlings that won't flee at every instance, we must keep them constantly liquored up. Need to fight that dragon? Grab some swords, grab some alcohol, and shanghai some drunkards.

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
  • Cries when friends don't like DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: February 23, 2013, 01:41:25 pm »

Will there ever be the ability for same sex relationships, it doesn't seem to like something that would be to hard and the sexual orientation of Dwarf would add even more complexity to it's personality, plus I want an all gay fort so I don't have to deal with children?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: February 23, 2013, 02:37:12 pm »

Will there ever be the ability for same sex relationships, it doesn't seem to like something that would be to hard and the sexual orientation of Dwarf would add even more complexity to it's personality, plus I want an all gay fort so I don't have to deal with children?

If you have a question or suggestion for Toady, it is courteous to first check out the semi-official Dwarf Fortress Wiki in case an answer or solution could be found readily.

As it turns out, DF already supports the feature you want. Check out the wiki page on Children:
"Resident" female dwarves may also give birth to children. This can be stopped or reduced by editing the BABY_CHILD_CAP setting in the d_init.txt file.

Aside from stopping pregnancies altogether, you could also use this setting to adjust the ratio of adults to children - allowing limited childbirth in proportion to your fort's growth. Details on d_init.txt and how to find and change it are also on the wiki (and inside the file itself).

On adding gay dwarves to DF:

Obviously, that'd be a touchy and controversial subject. It's a "hot" political and religious topic right now. As such, I would be surprised to see Toady add this or even touch it. For that matter, I'm not aware of many games in which orientation comes up.

Anyway, it has been proven that the old study which suggested about 10% of the population is gay was flawed and inaccurate. Recent statistics suggest it's much closer to 1 or 2%:

* Only one in 100 Britons is gay despite long-held myth...
* Statistics on the percentage of the population that are homosexual & lesbian
* Gay, lesbian and bisexual population figures released in the UK

If you think about that, 2% is a very small percentage to simulate in a sim game such as DF. In most forts a gay dwarf would have a hard time finding another gay dwarf to start a relationship with.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:11:51 pm by Thundercraft »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: February 23, 2013, 03:19:36 pm »

There is no debate needed on this topic at all. Toady has said that he fully intends to add homosexuality, but like with ALMOST ALL THINGS there is no definite timeline for it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5438 on: February 23, 2013, 03:23:28 pm »

Sure, but some fortresses have 200 dwarves- at which point, there's 2-4 curly-bearded dwarves out there. It wouldn't be a problem in most fortresses, but if the players make a point of it...

However, I think the interesting story-driven stuff is key, and as much as it is interesting to have a diplomatic kerfuffle because of unusual behavior on the part of the king's consort, it's just as interesting for the king's consort to be a secret night creature, and that's already implemented.

I say, if whatever system Toady One comes up with for handling romance in general can easily and seamlessly handle extra-fey-mooded dwarves, then I'm ok with it. If it doesn't, then that's fine too.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: February 23, 2013, 03:25:28 pm »

There isn't a page on the wiki for gay dwarves.  From what I read of that question, the "don't want children" part was just an aside, and the main question was about the current heternormative nature of the game.

There are numerous topics in the suggestions forums (that either get locked or deleted entirely because they can be lightning rods for, shall we say, "violently divergent views").

There is no debate needed on this topic at all. Toady has said that he fully intends to add homosexuality, but like with ALMOST ALL THINGS there is no definite timeline for it.

Can you find a quote that says that?  The only quotes I found said that he wasn't against it but that isn't the same as "fully intends to add".

I.E. From an older FotF
These days it might look like a political stake driven into the ground, but that's simply not the case.  As for where it goes from here, it's sort of a choice of which realities you want to model, which you want to idealize, which you want to omit, and how they are all prioritized -- I've added lots of physical characteristics now, without racism, and that more or less points toward adding sexual orientations and having them all merge in naturally in every society.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: February 23, 2013, 03:44:14 pm »

That must have been what I was thinking of. At the same time, this is the guy who initially designed Liberal Crime Squad, and was forced to not release an anti-animal cruelty game due to this very player base. Generally speaking, I am quite confident it will make it into the game at some point.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: February 23, 2013, 04:31:39 pm »

Sure, but some fortresses have 200 dwarves- at which point, there's 2-4 curly-bearded dwarves out there.

You have a point. However, a) most forts fail before becoming that populous, b) you could easily get a mismatch with such small numbers (1 gay dude and 1 gay gal, 3 gay dudes, etc.), and c) having 2-4 gay people live together does not necessarily mean that they will pair off. People won't necessarily get along and relationships are more complex than that.

Though, of course, one could code it to ignore compatibility - even though DF already simulates couple compatibility to some degree.

However, I think the interesting story-driven stuff is key, and as much as it is interesting to have a diplomatic kerfuffle because of unusual behavior on the part of the king's consort, it's just as interesting for the king's consort to be a secret night creature, and that's already implemented.

Ah, I was thinking in terms of Fort Mode.  :-[  I don't play Adventure Mode or examine the legends often enough for that to occur to me. But I guess you have a point.

There are numerous topics in the suggestions forums (that either get locked or deleted entirely because they can be lightning rods for, shall we say, "violently divergent views").

That's what I was afraid would happen with this subject. And I don't want to see this thread locked and started over just yet.

...this is the guy who initially designed Liberal Crime Squad, and was forced to not release an anti-animal cruelty game due to this very player base. Generally speaking, I am quite confident it will make it into the game at some point.

I had forgotten about that, too. Even as a text game that's not intended to be taken seriously, I couldn't bring myself to play Liberal Crime Squad. It just felt wrong to me.

Again, good point. Yeah, he probably will get to it eventually.

But before then, I'd expect the current fort-mode relationships to get an overhaul or update. Right now dwarves marry for life. They become lovers and that can lead to becoming spouses. But they never get another spouse or even lover if one of them dies. Is that the way dwarves are intended? Or will they eventually get other lovers or spouses?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:36:55 pm by Thundercraft »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: February 23, 2013, 07:14:36 pm »

Well, Night Trolls already take same sex partners roughly 50% of the time. Even with low percentage of the population being affected, Dwarf Fortress isn't exactly a game where something won't be added just because it's unlikely to be statistically significant in most forts. Societies can have different attitudes towards orientation as well, i.e. Ancient Greece.

In hard survival, peasant life, people historically tended to get married for life, and chose carefully. Amongst the nobles and city dwellers, though, one could probably expect a fair amount of mistresses and cheating and whatnot, because people there can afford to break off relations.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: February 23, 2013, 08:49:12 pm »

But before then, I'd expect the current fort-mode relationships to get an overhaul or update. Right now dwarves marry for life. They become lovers and that can lead to becoming spouses. But they never get another spouse or even lover if one of them dies. Is that the way dwarves are intended? Or will they eventually get other lovers or spouses?

Just FYI, Glitch(TMG) has a thread on alternative reproduction that is currently active, which has included a good deal of discussion on alternative marriage arrangements as well as just things like asexual reproducing creatures.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: February 24, 2013, 04:59:45 am »

Well, Night Trolls already take same sex partners roughly 50% of the time.
Are you sure? I've only seen that in modding, with night creatures that have both relevant tags on the same castes.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 748