Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3743959 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6300 on: May 07, 2013, 12:19:28 pm »

Wtf not then. Yeah, it is... hehehe... You know what I meant.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: May 07, 2013, 12:22:53 pm »

Are we going to see the prepared
Quote from: Toady One
invisible bureaucratic organ
upon the butchering of a hydra corpse?

No.  It was a joke (and it wouldn't be very invisible if you could see it).

At the moment, I'm talking about campfires (Assuming camps would get campfires if you updated vision at night), and torches later on when (if?) they get added. Seeing as you don't seem to have any plans for updating lighting this release, may I ask when you think updated lighting could make it?

It's on the development page, which is the closest thing DF has to a feature schedule.  Maybe in the next couple years.
Lighting

Proper environmental lighting
    Construction and use of torches
    Candles/lamps/lanterns

Toady, where/how did you learn to play guitar?

Lots of info in these search results about how he learned.

When the stuff in the notes gets finished, is that usually the point of release?

There's a lengthy release checklist that always occurs before release.  Sometimes there's also misc cleanup that isn't part of the notes per se.

Are we going to have fist fights breaking out when people bump into each other? That has a very high potential for abuse.

Nope.  Bumping into each other outside of combat would be a new mechanic, and it hasn't been mentioned.

If we settle near a city or human settlement, might we see the remains of logging camps and the like?

Nope.  Non-town sites are on the dev page, but they weren't a focus of this release.

Do you ever think on lame titles for movies like: Honey, I Procedurally Created the Kids! as easter eggs hidden somewhere in the game, or just for fun?

When asking questions, please remember that it takes Toady time to answer them.  Maybe describe what makes this question interesting to you?

What kind of bed do you have? You need the best rest possible.

Are you eating healthier? I remember the New York Times interview where you described typical day of developing and I remember it included a lot of sweets. I remember at least a comment on that page of some one worried about your health in the long run, see, we need you to stay alive for as many centuries as possible, as some people (me included) consider you a treasure for mankind.

Please try to stay on the topic of development.  These questions are kind of intrusive and irrelevant.  We aren't paparazzi.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:24:47 pm by Footkerchief »

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: May 07, 2013, 04:32:11 pm »

Please try to stay on the topic of development.  These questions are kind of intrusive and irrelevant.  We aren't paparazzi.

So... me hiding out in Toady's closet with a camera right now is... inappropriate? 
where is up?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: May 07, 2013, 10:11:32 pm »

So... me hiding out in Toady's closet with a camera right now is... inappropriate?

Only if you post about it in FotF, apparently.  :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: May 07, 2013, 10:29:18 pm »

Only if you post about it in FotF, apparently.  :P

Now you're gettin' it!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: May 08, 2013, 07:35:26 am »

I'm starting to feel the same, translations, at least at this point, are worthless until(if) the UI is sufficiently rawitfied, specially grammar rules.

Something that would help a lot is to have the wiki translated on several languages, this will not only serve as guide, but as a side effect people will learn English while playing and reading the guide.

It's supposedly already in Russian, but not much else.
(I'd be happy to help make a Polish translation of the wiki, tho)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: May 08, 2013, 07:45:08 am »

I like the etnocentricity when you say that non-English speakers would use a translated guide to learn English and not the opposite.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: May 08, 2013, 08:42:08 am »

Is not ethnocentric, I'm not even a natural English speaker. It's logic.

How can someone that for example, speak Spanish, somehow, learn more Spanish by reading a guide in Spanish with a few words in English?

Unless you are referring to some one that speaks Spanish, reading the Polish guide to play in English, in which case she/he might learn Polish in the process.

As for the English speaking reading guides in another languages? Why for? The guides (wiki) and the game itself is already on their language.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:44:57 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: May 08, 2013, 09:46:08 am »

Will occupier patrols follow specific routes on patrol or will they wander around town randomly?

Will civvies in an occupied town run from/avoid occuping soldiers?
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: May 08, 2013, 11:55:53 am »

Will companions have a means of being retained upon retiring? To be honest, i ask mainly because i wish to retain a lich guard at some point. That also brings me to what happens when a usually inimical entity retires on a site, wthat killing a duck wont bring the entire civ on your head.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:02:53 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: May 08, 2013, 04:05:24 pm »

Will occupier patrols follow specific routes on patrol or will they wander around town randomly?

Will civvies in an occupied town run from/avoid occuping soldiers?

Toady said about the first one that they're going from their strongpoint to the extremes of the occupied territory, and then back. That might be a path. Maybe they don't have a linear assigned route for each soldier (e.g. Bolug Flarepants goes every morning from the town hall to the well and returns at the afternoon) but seemingly they wont stray too much through unoccupied territory, or not even step on it at all. As far as I remember, now sites wont be solely governed by a single entity.

As for the civils, it's safe to assume that they'll stay out of bounds from the patrols, at least while the player is not messing around.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: May 08, 2013, 05:59:59 pm »

Will companions have a means of being retained upon retiring? To be honest, i ask mainly because i wish to retain a lich guard at some point. That also brings me to what happens when a usually inimical entity retires on a site, wthat killing a duck wont bring the entire civ on your head.

I'm not sure I understand the second question.  It's already planned (not for this version, AFAIK) that killing animals during play won't result in the same kind of retribution as attacking a person, and the same rules would apply in world gen.  Does that answer it?

Yes, it's planned that your organization will generally survive after retirement, at least until they're hunted down:
Quote from: DF Talk 16
Rainseeker:   So does that mean that I could create a new adventurer and go to the town where the old adventurer retired and meet him and possibly recruit him to my party?
Toady:   Yeah, you can actually do that right now.
Rainseeker:   Oh wow, I didn't realize that.
Toady:   Yeah. It's funny, you can fight them and cause all kinds of trouble having a Old West shootout with your old adventurers in the town and so on. So we've already kind of gotten started on that, so I think those two things I mentioned would help make the retired ... Right now they're like this weird window dressing, though, it's like ... they go there, they don't really fit in and the only way they fit in is that they do join the town that they retire in, so starting trouble with them starts trouble with everybody and so on, but having their own group would be interesting.

Now if your adventurer were to actually die then the nice part about the sites that you create is that they still exist and the entities that you create actually still exist. So, if you created, say, a group of bandits and you were going and taking things from towns and so on, and people disliked you and hunted you down and killed you - which is actually in the list of the dev goals for that, so it's not just something I'm saying - you'd then have that group of people, and once we get succession in, which is very soon - we're probably going to do succession before we finish the caravan arc because it's ... well it is actually part of the caravan arc, I think it's release 5 right now - but once we have succession then the group that you've created, named, and everything, and you've told them all to wear little blue hats or something - assuming you can secure those things and actually help your people wear stuff, you'd probably have to hand them out manually at first, like 'Here's your hat, here's your hat. Now put it on, put it on here' and they're like 'Okay!' - so that group would persist; whatever position you'd created for yourself, probably just like 'I'm the leader of the bandits' or whatever, because you have these entity positions right, with names and so on, like when you're fighting bandits yourself it's like 'Here's the ringleader; here's the boss' or whatever, it just gives them silly names, you'd be able to do the same thing and you'd have your little group with the leadership position, and when the leadership position is vacated, when you meet your untimely demise, then the leadership position would be filled; when we get to release 5, or whenever we do succession, which is going to be release 5 or sooner, right. So you have that, and then you've got this group that persists forever, or as long as it has a breathing member, or someone willing to resurrect it after everyone's gone. Then you'd leave that behind and that would be one of the first real feelings that you've created something rather than destroyed something, because right now you can kill all the beasts in the world and then the world has changed in that way; that's a way of leaving a mark, but it's a negative mark.

Rainseeker:   So would you be able to set goals for your organization, or similar?
Toady:   Well, the way that we have it set up on the dev page - and we haven't thought about this too much - is that you'd be able to assign little tasks for people and so on that they could do in your absence, but we haven't thought about, you know ... what is, and I don't even know if ... there's nothing really that says, that's anywhere, like what the overarching goal of your organization is. It's like the aggregate version of the personality rewrite, because the personality rewrite involves not just coming up with facets of the personality that are more interesting than the current ones, that allow you to tell better stories, but also new categories entirely of things, like what are the dreams of this dwarf, what are the dwarf's lifelong goals and that kind of thing. Then in adventure mode you don't quite have the same thing because you're playing, whereas your dwarves will have those things independent of your existence, but when you make an organization there's ... the two ways to think about it are, does my organization ... is the game going to try to guess what you're doing? It's like 'Well, they've killed their seventeenth person so obviously this is an organization bent on randomly killing people', or is it something that ... what will probably end up happening because the computer can never really be smart enough to tell, is that you just say what you're about, and if you completely violate the principles of what you're about then it'll probably start trying to come up with something on its own, it'd be like 'Well, you're supposed to be wandering around and helping the sick, but you keep killing them' and eventually it would decide that you're actually some kind of weird euthanasia organization or something. But that's all kind of wishful thinking; not the content that I just mentioned but just the ability that it would be able to do anything like that, but it's ...
Rainseeker:   'Hey man, I'm just preventing an epidemic, okay?'
Toady:   It's true, it's going to be dangerous when there are plagues, you'll have some difficult decisions to make. But that is the general idea of what kind of legacy you can leave behind, and that you'd be able to have an organization that made some kind of sense ... I mean at first you'd probably just be selecting from a list of ... like when you form the organization there are other people around because you don't just form it in your head, right? So you'd probably take your three or four adventuring companions that you'd picked up and say 'Alright, let's go rob wagons together!' and they're like 'Yay!' or some of them leave or one of them tries to kill you or something, but once they all agree that you are now an organization that goes and robs wagons together, which at first would probably just be as simple as selecting, you know, 'bandit' as your option or whatever ... Because that sort of organization already exists, right, you can just declare that 'I want to be a type of organization that already exists', it already understands how they work and so when the adventure is over either by retirement or death it would understand what to do with those guys, and then they'd fit right in; you'd get quests to kill yourself or whatever. Right now you can get a quest to kill yourself but only through the animosity between civilizations; if your adventurer is a notable killer of another civilization then retires back in a friendly town, and then you start at the aggrieved civilization you can get a quest to kill your adventurer, but they're still just window dressing over there. So that's that form of legacy, and then there's the familial legacy you can have, when we get to the relationship stuff you'll be able to leave behind little playable childrens and things. I suppose your spouse might be playable too, I wonder ... if you get killed it'd be fun to go on a vengeance quest or something as the aggrieved widow or widower.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: May 08, 2013, 06:19:07 pm »

Wait...
Does that mean..?

I am making an adventurer party. Thirteen dwarves, a human necro and a human child.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: May 08, 2013, 07:51:10 pm »

Man, screw that. I would mod in wizards and hobbits just because.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: May 08, 2013, 08:32:44 pm »

Whenever we get to that, we're going to be having SO MUCH FUN!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 748