Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3743984 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7560 on: September 22, 2013, 06:29:12 pm »

With the thief role, will it be possible for the people who buy stolen merchandise to be punished as well?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: September 22, 2013, 07:12:55 pm »

With the thief role, will it be possible for the people who buy stolen merchandise to be punished as well?

Willingly/unwillingly/knowingly/unknowingly? Although merchants in DF always seem to know when something is in fact stolen or seized.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: September 22, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »

I didn't say this release. A bunch of issues will most likely be poked at, both old and new, after the release and new bugs are ironed out. As for how it's related to trees iirc updating trees was one of the hurdles to take care of last time this issue was discussed, hence the question :P

It strikes me as a strong candidate for the post-release bugfixing, but I doubt Toady is going to make any promises until the release is out and he can turn his focus to bugs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: September 22, 2013, 08:03:35 pm »

I didn't say this release. A bunch of issues will most likely be poked at, both old and new, after the release and new bugs are ironed out. As for how it's related to trees iirc updating trees was one of the hurdles to take care of last time this issue was discussed, hence the question :P

It strikes me as a strong candidate for the post-release bugfixing, but I doubt Toady is going to make any promises until the release is out and he can turn his focus to bugs.

You're probably right on that and he has to get the multi-tile trees working, among other stuff. There are also hill dwarves with aboveground(?) farms, but that's just site flavor and ambience than anything to do with changes to agriculture. It's possible that we might see some new farmable plants, but we'll have to wait and see.

Also, Toady One, you mentioned the elves bringing coconuts and since in RL, coconut milk is made into liquor, will we be seeing new alcohol brews in the next version?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: September 22, 2013, 08:49:41 pm »

Well, apples implies cider. Oranges could mean Mimosa, but that seems like a more Elven drink. And well after 1400, besides.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: September 23, 2013, 12:43:16 am »

Unless I'm missing something horribly, I don't see why 14th century technology couldn't be used to brew champagne and then squeeze oranges into it or something. Although personally I'd just hack the oranges up and throw them in a barrel of water with some yeast. Mmmm alcohol!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: September 23, 2013, 12:59:34 am »

Who knows, maybe in the next version, things have actually advanced by a few centuries and the dwarves would have developed other brewing methods and techniques.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: September 23, 2013, 01:47:46 am »

Toady did specifically decide that vanilla DF will not include technology developed after the 1400s, so I highly doubt that, at least.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: September 23, 2013, 02:07:11 am »

Chinese people already used Gunpowder long before 1400. And first use of it was mentionned around 1300-1350 in Europe.
On the other hand, the wheel wasn't even used in America by the civilisations who lived here.
So "1400 tech" doesn't mean a lot. It's more a fantasy Middle Age than anything accurate.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: September 23, 2013, 02:08:39 am »

I forget when Toady put the cutoff date. But it was either 1400 or 1200 in Europe. And Mimosa is from somewhere in the 20th century.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: September 23, 2013, 02:31:54 am »

I forget when Toady put the cutoff date. But it was either 1400 or 1200 in Europe. And Mimosa is from somewhere in the 20th century.

Yeah, a quick google says the 1920s, but since oranges were cultivated for millennia, who's to say that at some point somewhere, someone decided to try mixing orange juice with the local beverages. The example given is from modern times, but you don't need modern technology to make orange juice. Though orange juice itself as a beverage seems to be a more recent phenomenon.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: September 23, 2013, 02:33:28 am »

Probably because it needs refrigeration to be good.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: September 23, 2013, 09:18:59 am »

If this picture is to be believed, gunpowder has been around since the 900s, in the form of grenades and fire lances. Even if gunpowder isn't included, I'm for adding more Asian elements to the game to increase the diversity in civilizations. I mean, who doesn't want to see a Dwarven civilization that uses elements of Oriental culture for a change?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: September 23, 2013, 09:24:07 am »

If this picture is to be believed, gunpowder has been around since the 900s, in the form of grenades and fire lances. Even if gunpowder isn't included, I'm for adding more Asian elements to the game to increase the diversity in civilizations. I mean, who doesn't want to see a Dwarven civilization that uses elements of Oriental culture for a change?

I don't.

I don't want to make of DF a mess of too many things. It would be like Pandaria for WoW or shits like that (not that it is shitty, but the mixture is...well...).
DF has its own universe, please don't mix it with things that has nothing to do with it.
But it's true that some of Asian medieval traits could be used to give more diversity for human societies.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: September 23, 2013, 10:07:05 am »

But what's more dwarfy that a huge tube of iron or steel filled with coal set ablaze to spit a huge ball of anything against your enemies, probably blowing half fortress in the process too?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 748