Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3743970 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7830 on: October 22, 2013, 04:52:58 pm »

I'm guessing you mean DF in general? Is 0.34.11 not currently compatible?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: October 22, 2013, 05:12:07 pm »

Will stolen/traded artifacts be tracked now there's somewhere to take them too?

Given that traded items are supposed to be tracked.... hopefully. I know there is already a general answer, but I don't think we know about artifacts specifically.

And where did you see that?

It was a while ago when the trade network went in.

Quote from: Devlog 6-7-2011
Instead of being generated from scratch, the items all come from the site's world gen stockpiles now. The information stored there includes the source civilization, so a family could be the proud owners of a dwarven stone cabinet, for example, complete with dwarven artwork with the right materials, and the number of dwarven stone cabinets in the town would be the precise number that were traded in over the years.

I think he might have addressed it in a DF Talk as well (particularly regarding unique/specific items, like artifacts and "that axe the worldgen general used to slay the dragon" and things like that,) but I don't recall which one.

Huh. I thought that stuff just vanished at the moment.

Given that traded items are supposed to be tracked.... hopefully. I know there is already a general answer, but I don't think we know about artifacts specifically.
I'm pretty sure that, if artifacts aren't tracked properly, that it's a bug. There are some bugs with artifact tracking.

What bugs?

While you're working on sites, how have lairs come along? Is finding them either less time-consuming or more deliberately puzzling?

I am tired of spending fifteen minutes to find a lair. If there's a mod for that I'll take it.
What kind of lair do you mean? Lairs for quest targets? They've become harder, since the quest givers no longer can give you their exact locations (and they were never particularly hard to find). Random lairs you've never heard about? They're staying the same difficulty. Critters hiding out nigh-unfindably in the sewers and dungeons? I don't think there's been a change either.

I will try this.

Lastly, has anyone had their own artifacts used against them?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: October 22, 2013, 07:46:11 pm »

Since 10.9 came out today for free, besides time to back up, download, and install, I don't think there's a reason not to have it compatible for all thee systems.
Considering that running DF 0.34.11 on Lion and Mountain Lion turned out to be possible, and this upgrade isn't a major overhaul either (as far as I can tell), there shouldn't be any major problems with upgrading to Mavericks/10.9 (although it's also unlikely to fix problems that came up with Lion/Mountain Lion, such as #5260). Since the last major breaking OS update was 10.5 to 10.6 (removing PowerPC support), I'm hopeful that DF will remain compatible with 10.6 through 10.9 (I haven't tested this yet myself, but hopefully I'll be able to soon).

I'm guessing you mean DF in general? Is 0.34.11 not currently compatible?
I think CaptainArchmage may have been referring to 10.6 compatibility as well as 10.9 (as older versions of OS X, such as 10.5, have been known to have problems with DF upgrades). 
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: October 23, 2013, 11:59:34 am »

I'm pretty sure that, if artifacts aren't tracked properly, that it's a bug. There are some bugs with artifact tracking.

What bugs?
There's this one, at least. The other one I was thinking of was the book duplication bug linked from that report, but that was apparently already resolved and I forgot.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: October 23, 2013, 03:12:49 pm »

While stolen artifacts don't bite you in the ass because world gen doesn't yet continue?
Reading a thinner book

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: October 23, 2013, 04:04:30 pm »

They already bite you in the ass because the maker goes ballistic for losing their precious work. It's not as if they could be used against you, artifact=/= superweapon.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: October 23, 2013, 04:36:42 pm »

They already bite you in the ass because the maker goes ballistic for losing their precious work. It's not as if they could be used against you, artifact=/= superweapon.

Maddening Treachery or no deal, I'm afraid :P.
Reading a thinner book

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: October 23, 2013, 05:18:51 pm »

That's what I'm saying. They already bite you in the ass because their creators go berserk. World gen continuing wouldn't make stolen artifacts bite you in the ass any more than they already do, because the people who steal them can't exactly do anything with them but sell them or keep them.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: October 23, 2013, 05:38:43 pm »

There's this one, at least. The other one I was thinking of was the book duplication bug linked from that report, but that was apparently already resolved and I forgot.
As far as I can tell this has been a problem since the dawn of Dwarf Fortress. And I say it's about time Toady got around to addressing it. Because if you can't reclaim/adventure into a fortress and pillage priceless relics from it, as opposed to just having them disappear from existence the second you abandon the fortress, then what the hell is the point? It feels like fortress-raiding is missing something fundamental.

Or heck, maybe even introduce a way to store artifacts in locked chests, crypts, and etc. So that finding artifacts doesn't just amount to a randomized Easter Egg hunt.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:48:32 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: October 23, 2013, 07:30:51 pm »

As far as I can tell this has been a problem since the dawn of Dwarf Fortress. And I say it's about time Toady got around to addressing it. Because if you can't reclaim/adventure into a fortress and pillage priceless relics from it, as opposed to just having them disappear from existence the second you abandon the fortress, then what the hell is the point? It feels like fortress-raiding is missing something fundamental.

Or heck, maybe even introduce a way to store artifacts in locked chests, crypts, and etc. So that finding artifacts doesn't just amount to a randomized Easter Egg hunt.

The trouble is that dwarven artwork usually exists in a state where the description only materialises when the artefact is first viewed by the player. This means that besides the base material and type of object or artefact and the materials used for the decorations, the image is based on events previous to the player viewing rather than the object being constructed, so an artefact may end up having an image of itself on it. Statues were (from what I have read) made to depict events, people, objects, and creatures in DF2010 so they may behave differently.

Please correct my statement if it is wrong.

In the future, abandonment should result in the loss of some fortress items as your dwarves pack up and leave (almost certainly weapons, artefacts, food, booze, trinkets, and coinage). The most likely dwarf to take the item should either be the dwarf using the item at the time of abandonment (i.e. military dwarves) or the dwarf who made the item (in the case of crafts).

Loss because of sieges should probably result in the loss of some items due to plundering, while items further away from the map edge and behind drawbridges or in places where invaders cannot path will probably be left alone. Loss due to forgotten beasts or other events should result in some limited item scattering.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: October 23, 2013, 08:45:38 pm »

He may have fixed up how statues, images, engravings, etc work behind the scenes, no idea.

Also, I thought artifacts don't disappear from the fort when you abandon it? In any case, I think there are some workarounds using DFhack.

Hopefully the artifacts will stick around in the case of abandonment and definetly stick around when you 'retire' as overseer (non-destructive abandonment) and they should stick around somewhere in the world if they get stolen or lost otherwise.

The talk about items sticking around in the world after you trade them away has given me a thought, Will the laws of supply and demand come more into play now that the map edge is no longer an item sink? I'm not expecting anything along the lines of advanced economic interactions and the supply and demand stuff shouldn't prevent a fort from specializing in some specific export.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: October 23, 2013, 10:01:51 pm »

He may have fixed up how statues, images, engravings, etc work behind the scenes, no idea.

Also, I thought artifacts don't disappear from the fort when you abandon it? In any case, I think there are some workarounds using DFhack.

Hopefully the artifacts will stick around in the case of abandonment and definetly stick around when you 'retire' as overseer (non-destructive abandonment) and they should stick around somewhere in the world if they get stolen or lost otherwise.

The talk about items sticking around in the world after you trade them away has given me a thought, Will the laws of supply and demand come more into play now that the map edge is no longer an item sink? I'm not expecting anything along the lines of advanced economic interactions and the supply and demand stuff shouldn't prevent a fort from specializing in some specific export.
For forts?

That's a no. He hasn't really included Player Forts to the economic changes.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: October 24, 2013, 11:33:54 am »

That's what I'm saying. They already bite you in the ass because their creators go berserk. World gen continuing wouldn't make stolen artifacts bite you in the ass any more than they already do, because the people who steal them can't exactly do anything with them but sell them or keep them.

So no appropriately armed elite kobold thieves? I hope enemy looting goes in some day.
Reading a thinner book

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: October 24, 2013, 04:08:26 pm »

So no appropriately armed elite kobold thieves? I hope enemy looting goes in some day.
Kobolds, did at one point, if not still currently, steal items and then use them on return visits. I dont think artifacts would be consider too different. It probably doesn't happen due to the fact, most players equip their artifact weapons and armor.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: October 24, 2013, 04:56:57 pm »

Artifact weapons and armor are very, very rare compared to other artifacts, and if one gets stolen, your fort likely won't survive the tantrum spiral to see whoever might use them anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 748