Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3743950 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8265 on: December 11, 2013, 11:00:56 pm »

It seems the entity relation/link system has been changed completely, which means there may be a chance that the bug is gone simply because the system that made it happen doesn't exist anymore.
I did some looking into how cascades happen a while back, and I must say I think this may be the case. The old one had a very one-off "You attacked, you are now an enemy of all my entity", and since fort-mode dwarves are part of two distinct entities (civ and site governments), one of which they revoked by attacking a guard, they became conflicted: an enemy to their civ, but since they were also loyal to fort, an attack on one of them by a fort dwarf would revoke one of the fort dwarf's loyalties and make him conflicted ,although in the opposite way to the attacked dwarf, and this could continue on and on.

If fort-civ governments were made more closely related, if entity x-on-entity x violence was significantly changed (which it was), and if loyalties were made less absolute (which they were), there could possibly be a fix not of Toady's intention in there.

Anyway, with religious conflicts coming up, Will we be able to worship a god, and if so will people react to us differently because of it? I would think not, but it would make sense in the current work.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: December 11, 2013, 11:40:55 pm »

Anyway, with religious conflicts coming up, Will we be able to worship a god, and if so will people react to us differently because of it? I would think not, but it would make sense in the current work.

Adv Mode used to let you do this.  You can't anymore, but that seems to be a bug.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: December 12, 2013, 10:06:31 am »

Holy cow... the new devlog is just too awesome. Finally I'll be able to unite the world in one empire under my command. I'm so giddy I can barely type!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:52 am »

I'm looking forward to establish a fort and then make half of the world pay tribute to it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: December 12, 2013, 10:50:51 am »

I think I'm not going even touch fortress mode.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: December 12, 2013, 10:57:42 am »

From what I read we are at the door steep of the most perfect and detailed RPG ever. Once more professions are up it would be interesting. I think I'll become a dwarf shoemaker.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #8271 on: December 12, 2013, 11:00:30 am »

From what I read we are at the door steep of the most perfect and detailed RPG ever. Once more professions are up it would be interesting. I think I'll become a dwarf shoemaker.

Which decorates shows in the day and is vigilante in the night?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: December 12, 2013, 11:10:05 am »

Quote from: Toady
Once you state a claim, you become the leader of a new site entity based on your current culture, but it is meaningless (other than as a new rumor) if you don't take the main building from the previous owners (at which point you get a handy announcement).

Does this allow for adventurers (or even NPCs) to become like Emperor Norton?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: December 12, 2013, 11:19:28 am »

Which decorates shows in the day and is vigilante in the night?

Which make shoes while drunk in the day and gets drunk(er) in the night.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:25:56 pm by LordBaal »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: December 12, 2013, 11:27:48 am »

Does this allow for adventurers (or even NPCs) to become like Emperor Norton?
Hmm. Head of an entity whom no-one else officially recognizes, but is nevertheless well-liked enough to subsist on the goodwill of the locals. Possible to an extent, but I'm doubtful this release will include charity. It MIGHT be possible that sufficient fame leads to more favorable prices (both buying and selling), but no one will be exploiting your name for their own monetary gain either. It's all in how you write the fluff after the fact, I suppose.

Oh man, I might actually start this release in adventure mode. Unheard of.
If we retire an adventurer who is head of an entity, Will they still be able to migrate to one of our later fortresses? If so, does that give our fortress a stake in said entity?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:33:57 am by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: December 12, 2013, 11:28:28 am »

This is really unexpected (the great daily devblogs since December began). It's like there is more content in the last 15 days than in the whole update.
DF 2014 will probably be the longest (nearly 2 years) update, but it's for sure the biggest one, too. It completely change the perspective of the game(s).

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: December 12, 2013, 11:30:23 am »

Wow, this is complicated stuff to model. I predict we will have the funniest ever DF bugs out of this update.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: December 12, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »

Wow, this is complicated stuff to model. I predict we will have the funniest ever DF bugs out of this update.

Forget the bugs... just the emergent situations are going to range from funny to interesting.

I imagine we'll be getting a lot of interesting Legends out of this one. I mean, Toady has already pointed out that religious differences could bring about a feud between two towns in the same civ. The world is going to have a lot more color to it.

But dang if this stuff doesn't sound unbelievable though. I mean trying to describe DF to a person who doesn't know about it usually is already met with disbelief. People are going to have even more trouble believing it.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: December 12, 2013, 12:48:36 pm »

Plenty of good work here! Looks like the last few days had more work than we have seen in a long time, probably since June or so.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: December 12, 2013, 12:56:26 pm »

Toady: you say that we'll be able to set up a new site government and take over sites and declare new site governments under our control, but will we be able to strong-arm the civilization's top leaders as well and become a sort of revolutionary dictator or monarch, or does the system only support controlling site governments at the moment?

In the process of taking over sites will other leaders in the civ recognize us as a threat and attack us, or will that be handled at a later date?

If civ governments can be taken control of and site governments can be remade entirely, then can we also declare ourselves leader of an entirely new, sovereign civilization and take over, say, one of our retired forts?

If so, would the entity template be taken from the local culture of the first site we take over or the civilization we hail form?

I have so many questions! And I'm so excited! We're gonna have SO MUCH FUN!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 748