Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3743963 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8685 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:24 pm »

Oh man, I was joking when I mentioned that DF would update when Hell froze over, but now Foot missed something in a devlog... better break out the thermal undies.

God dammit. The way you phrased this made me think DF updated because you put "DF would update when hell froze over" and "footkerchief missed something in a devlog" in the same sentence.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: January 10, 2014, 02:07:18 pm »

Oh man, I was joking when I mentioned that DF would update when Hell froze over, but now Foot missed something in a devlog... better break out the thermal undies.

God dammit. The way you phrased this made me think DF updated because you put "DF would update when hell froze over" and "footkerchief missed something in a devlog" in the same sentence.

If there's an update inside 24 hours, I'm eerily prophetic! I think we've got another week, minimum, though.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: January 10, 2014, 02:53:10 pm »

If there's an update inside 24 hours, I'm eerily prophetic! I think we've got another week, minimum, though.

If you'd said "DF will update after hell freezes over", you'd be completely right.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: January 10, 2014, 03:25:33 pm »

If you'd said "DF will update after hell freezes over", you'd be completely right.

1. take a cup of water with the word hell written on it.
2. Put it in the freezer.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: January 10, 2014, 03:44:11 pm »

1. take a cup of water with the word hell written on it.
2. Put it in the freezer.

Congratulations, you made me cackle.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: January 10, 2014, 04:02:55 pm »

welcome then.  anything can be done in an alternate way if you think about it.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: January 10, 2014, 04:10:25 pm »

Will sites be abandoned/claimed by beasts/become reclaimable/get reclaimed by NPCs during time passed in Fort Mode? (Not due to player actions, of course)

For clarification, yes, the question was if reclamation, siege by semi-/megabeasts and general fort disoccupation* happens post-worldgen.

*:I believe that word means something entirely different than what I just used it for.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: January 10, 2014, 09:30:36 pm »

I like the idea of a kingdom where the role of monarch lapses and the remaining nobles carry out a sort of regency, as mentioned in the last dev log.

That said...

What happens to a fort that earns the monarch if the civilization has a baron, general etc but no king or queen? Do you just get the surviving consort?

The queen not getting replaced by the baron or general is also a good catalyst for many interesting situations that could be later targets for development. For instance, maybe she has an heir who needs an adventurer to help her be recognized. Perhaps the evil necromancer queen must be killed before a successor can be crowed, and eventually one of the nobles of the kingdom, or even an unknown hero, will appear to challenge and kill her and claim her crown. Or maybe the kingdom is planning to crown the adventurer who kills the queen as the next ruler.

Might scenarios like these be possible in a soon-to-come version?

These latest updates are truly worthy of the word 'epic'...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:36:37 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: January 11, 2014, 12:28:52 am »

when given the option to react to an attack and you decide to dodge, do you get to decide which direction you will dodge in?

I just listened to the most recent df talk and I'd forgotten how much great combat stuff will be in now, but this is my most pressing concern with the current combat, dodging off ledges and all!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: January 11, 2014, 12:37:10 am »

If memory serves, when they talked about dodging they mentioned that you dodge via the movement controls, rather than any sort of menu option.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: January 11, 2014, 02:31:12 am »

when given the option to react to an attack and you decide to dodge, do you get to decide which direction you will dodge in?

Toady One: [...] And dodging - active dodging involves jumping to another square. You can't actively dodge and just say 'oh, I want to dodge.' The passive dodging, if you get a really good roll, still does that.
It sounds like there's no active dodge button, you just use the jump feature, which will have to be directional.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: January 11, 2014, 02:45:41 am »

What happens to a fort that earns the monarch if the civilization has a baron, general etc but no king or queen? Do you just get the surviving consort?

Doesn't this already happen in the current version?

The queen not getting replaced by the baron or general is also a good catalyst for many interesting situations that could be later targets for development. For instance, maybe she has an heir who needs an adventurer to help her be recognized. Perhaps the evil necromancer queen must be killed before a successor can be crowed, and eventually one of the nobles of the kingdom, or even an unknown hero, will appear to challenge and kill her and claim her crown. Or maybe the kingdom is planning to crown the adventurer who kills the queen as the next ruler.

Might scenarios like these be possible in a soon-to-come version?

"Succession struggles" are on the dev page, but it'll start off pretty basic, e.g. a war between two equally eligible nobles.  All kinds of intrigue are fair game for later on.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: January 11, 2014, 05:44:12 am »

My most optimistic estimate would still be for a mid February/early March release, considering Toady is still going through the last items on his dev list for the build and the proper bug-hunting phase was not even started yet. Unless I'm completely out of sync with what Toady is up to atm.

Oh, this is maybe a very silly question, but I don't think this has been brought up yet: If we happen to reclaim a fort which fell to a FB or other MB, and if the beast happened to set its lair there, are the initial 7 to actually confront it? I.e. will the beast be there when the party arrives?

If that's the case, that would somewhat make for something akin to a starting scenario (though w/o all the bells and whistles). One could take a look at Legends and see if any fort site might be the potential home to an uninvited guest, then fit the embark for the (likely !!FUN!!) task.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: January 11, 2014, 07:43:42 am »

Toady One: [...] And dodging - active dodging involves jumping to another square. You can't actively dodge and just say 'oh, I want to dodge.' The passive dodging, if you get a really good roll, still does that.
It sounds like there's no active dodge button, you just use the jump feature, which will have to be directional.

I just thought that was just a casual use of the word, because dodging isn't like walking to another square. I feel like I remember that true jumping was some multiple tile movement that you didn't necessarily know how far before doing it. Still, it sounded to me like he meant actual jumping mechanics with that, but he might've. It could go either way.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: January 11, 2014, 09:48:06 am »

I just thought that was just a casual use of the word, because dodging isn't like walking to another square. I feel like I remember that true jumping was some multiple tile movement that you didn't necessarily know how far before doing it. Still, it sounded to me like he meant actual jumping mechanics with that, but he might've. It could go either way.
You're right... I checked what Toady said about jumping:
Toady One: [...] Right now it's very simple. It might not actually last that way before we get to the release because there's a little odd...How it works right now. Right now it's just based on your speed. So the faster creatures that can sprint faster and then press the jump button can jump farther based on their speed but I don't have a skill for it. Attributes don't matter yet. There's just not a lot of...Because it's either one, two or three tiles or whatever, there's not too much resolution there. It'd be nice to think of a way if it's not...If it's based on too many things of like knowing how far you're going to be able to jump before you arrive at the cliff face going full speed and then discover that you're just not going to jump far enough. So I've made, the system right now acts in a predictable fashion and we'll work from there.

So if jumping is just based on speed, it doesn't have to be directional after all.
Good question, I'll leave it for Toady.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 748