Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3746765 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9225 on: February 16, 2014, 12:46:52 am »

You've said you dread the fourth dimension(s). What addition are you really looking forward to?

Isn't the fourth dimension time?

We're talking spatial dimensions

like seriously nobody will seriously say time is "the fourth dimension" so much as "the only timelike dimension"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: February 16, 2014, 12:51:49 am »

You've said you dread the fourth dimension(s). What addition are you really looking forward to?

like seriously nobody will seriously say time is "the fourth dimension" so much as "the only timelike dimension"

What would the fourth spatial direction be? Southup? Really though, the fourth spatial dimension would be getting into the area of hypercubes and stuff.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: February 16, 2014, 12:53:15 am »

You should read flatland.

In the context of DF, however, afterlives, elemental/astral/daedric/afterlife planes or what-have-you.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: February 16, 2014, 07:34:42 am »

Oh, Toady, do you realize what you have done?

The first thing i am gonna do in the new version is kill childs in fron of their parents to se how they react.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9229 on: February 16, 2014, 07:37:18 am »

Oh, Toady, do you realize what you have done?

The first thing i am gonna do in the new version is kill childs in fron of their parents to se how they react.
It's a good thing emotions/reactions like described in Toady's update weren't implemented when [EXPUNGED] happened...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:15:40 am by Dutchling »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: February 16, 2014, 09:40:04 am »

We... might need to replay that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: February 16, 2014, 01:08:36 pm »

Are we going to be able to see the personalities and preferences of our adventurers like we can see the personalities of our dwarves?

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: February 16, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »

I played an adventure mode session yesterday and at some point my hero got injured by an enraged wolverine; long story short, motor nerve damage in lower spine, ability to stand lost.
So that got me wondering:

How do legs influence climbing? Can you still climb if you can't control your legs anymore (motor nerve damage, amputation)?

Also, IIRC with the combat/speed rewrite, you can't just grasp an infinite amount of things in both your hands anymore, does that mean that someone currently climbing and say, getting shot at with arrows cannot use his shield, because it's not on his hand?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: February 16, 2014, 01:21:37 pm »

Regardless what theoretical physicists think of the fourth dimension as, I'm pretty sure Toady was just referring to time.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: February 16, 2014, 01:28:48 pm »

Are we going to be able to see the personalities and preferences of our adventurers like we can see the personalities of our dwarves?
ToadyOne in Dwarf Talk has talked about this, and he seems to waver back and forth. He feel players would be upset if the game took control away from you adventure as it tried to reflect its personality traits. He also feels that if players want to RP a character as however, they're perfectly able to as is.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: February 16, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »

Regardless what theoretical physicists think of the fourth dimension as, I'm pretty sure Toady was just referring to time.

...No, he was referring very specifically to other planes.

Quote from: cybergon
What's the rewrite you dread the most? I mean that one part of the code you know you have to completely change sooner or later but wish you didn't have to.

An annoying thing is the planar/afterlife/etc. stuff that is basically like adding a 4th coordinate all over the place that isn't as straightforward as going from 2 to 3 coordinates, since the nature of the 4th coordinate can be mushy.  That should be painful, although there is a commensurate payoff for it.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: February 16, 2014, 02:29:18 pm »

Toady's academia stuff was mathematics. Of course he sees the 4th dimension as a spatial one. Physics, math... math's just purer.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: February 16, 2014, 02:36:11 pm »

...No, he was referring very specifically to other planes.

"Hey, Chavez, how come they ain't killing us?"
"Because we're in the spirit world, asshole. They can't see us."

(And now that you've heard the one good line, there is no need whatsoever to actually watch that movie.)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9238 on: February 16, 2014, 02:54:40 pm »

*Looks the quote up.*

Why thank you. Now I have to watch the bloody thing!  >:(
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: February 16, 2014, 06:02:25 pm »

Hiya!

I can see that none of the REALLY major development goals, like being a wizard*, are coming around this release, but...

Will actions taken in adventure mode have historical impact more similar to worldgen history?

You know, like political actions or inciting war? It's getting a little boring that an adventurer's level of awesomeness is based on their notable kill list.

*Oh god, now I have to mod in LIT2. Hahahaha.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 748