Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3746487 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9780 on: March 28, 2014, 11:13:07 am »

He's asking when/if anything beyond those two points are going to be taking into account. For example, a fortress that might be quite rich and has no deaths but is still not a desirable place because something else, like being surrounded by swamps full of zombies or something like that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: March 28, 2014, 11:42:18 am »

Or when we will be able to tell the migrants that we are not yet ready for them, despite having the best dining hall in the world.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: March 28, 2014, 11:46:54 am »

Or perhaps limit the number at a time and possibly limit the number of children. Also, I've noticed that a lot of the time (in my long running fort at least), the children are bugged since they actually have adult ages, but are still children until their next birthday.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: March 28, 2014, 12:08:37 pm »

Not really an answer but seems sort of relevant:
Quote from: DF Talk
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Explosive attraction of player's fortress to migrants also seems to be partially caused by the fact that there's such a small number of them starting out. We don't know yet how big are the groups that AI uses for foundation of new sites yet. It is probably safe to think that when we get to the starting scenarios with bigger beginning population, migration system will see some changes.
Quote from: DF Talk
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: March 28, 2014, 01:21:34 pm »

A mostly hypothetical question. On the next release what's going to happen if the dwarfs go the dinosaur way and get extinct and you try to embark on a fortress? Probably the same thing that happens in the current release (I don't really know what happens in the current release under that circumstances). But as now the world is starting to wake up, could it be possible for the dwarves from one last fort funded by you and then retired to repopulate the world with more dwarves while you go and play as an adventurer? Or no new places get colonized after world gen right now?
I know, it's a whimsical question, I just happen to be bored and waiting for the clock to go home right now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:11:33 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: March 28, 2014, 01:28:09 pm »

A mostly hypothetical question. On the next release what's going to happen if the dwarfs go the dinosaur way and get extinct and you try to embark on a fortress? Probably the same thing that happens in the current release (I don't really know what happens in the current release under that circumstances). But as know the world is starting to wake up, could it be possible for the dwarves from one last fort funded by you and then retired while you go and play as an adventurer, or no new places get colonized after world gen right now?
I know, it's a whimsical question, I just happen to be bored and waiting for the clock to go home right now.

If all dwarves go extinct, it just aborts the worldgen and tries again unless you have other races set to be fortress playable. I think anyway.

Toady one has said that you can embark on NPC forts, including abandoned ones, so yes you can embark on the ruins of an NPC fort.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: March 28, 2014, 01:49:30 pm »

If all dwarves go extinct, it just aborts the worldgen and tries again unless you have other races set to be fortress playable. I think anyway.
Nah, the game allows dwarves to go extinct. It just makes sure that a fortress-playable civ exists at the start by default.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: March 28, 2014, 02:10:36 pm »

Edited the question because the last part was spelled like a drunken 5 years old idiot.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9788 on: March 28, 2014, 08:13:32 pm »

This has probably already been asked, but due to endless frustration while building an aboveground fort, I must know the answer.

Will the bug where dwarves stand on top of the wall they're trying to build be fixed any time soon?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: March 28, 2014, 08:34:34 pm »

Will the bug where dwarves stand on top of the wall they're trying to build be fixed any time soon?

There's almost never a timeline for fixing specific bugs.  Here's the bug report -- you can monitor it to see any activity.

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: March 28, 2014, 08:50:33 pm »

Will the "anything born in the fort doesn't grow to full size" bug only affect the current fort, all player forts, or all forts in general...?

The new release will undoubtedly be awesome, but I'll probably wait until whenever that particular bug is squashed to try it out...

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: March 28, 2014, 08:52:01 pm »

Will the "anything born in the fort doesn't grow to full size" bug only affect the current fort, all player forts, or all forts in general...?

The new release will undoubtedly be awesome, but I'll probably wait until whenever that particular bug is squashed to try it out...

There is a DFHack script that fixes that bug currently, but I don't know when the bug will be truly fixed.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9792 on: March 28, 2014, 09:29:13 pm »

There's almost never a timeline for fixing specific bugs.  Here's the bug report -- you can monitor it to see any activity.
That's a shame. Thanks for the link.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: March 28, 2014, 11:40:07 pm »

I thought ToadyOne made improvement on dorf logic where they stand for when doing constructs?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9794 on: March 29, 2014, 08:09:08 am »

I thought ToadyOne made improvement on dorf logic where they stand for when doing constructs?
Yeah, they no longer wall themselves into places from which they can't get out. Sadly, this brought about the bug I'm complaining about.

It's not really that big, either, just a bit of job cancellation spam. But I hate it all the same.
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 748