Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3743952 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10320 on: April 22, 2014, 02:01:29 pm »

Truly awesome, I however fear now the trees are too big, or at least I feel they are too big. Or I'm just presenting resistance to change?
There was attention given to hight. Trees can be very tall: think rain forests. As discussed in DF talk, the tallest real life trees would be about 30 tiles tall. I don't know if those made it in.

But the tall trees to present a disparity with single tile creatures. A giraffe isn't going to be able to reach any branches, and a dragon will look the same size as a dwarf next to those trees.

To me that's an issue of multi-tile creatures (or lack thereof) rather than a tree problem.

Dreams of a distant future having a giant beast come to your fort, moving through the forest and knocking over said tall trees like they were twigs *drool*

In the grim, dark future, there is only (d)war(f)...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: April 22, 2014, 02:16:47 pm »

Truly awesome, I however fear now the trees are too big, or at least I feel they are too big. Or I'm just presenting resistance to change?
There was attention given to hight. Trees can be very tall: think rain forests. As discussed in DF talk, the tallest real life trees would be about 30 tiles tall. I don't know if those made it in.

But the tall trees to present a disparity with single tile creatures. A giraffe isn't going to be able to reach any branches, and a dragon will look the same size as a dwarf next to those trees.

To me that's an issue of multi-tile creatures (or lack thereof) rather than a tree problem.

Dreams of a distant future having a giant beast come to your fort, moving through the forest and knocking over said tall trees like they were twigs *drool*

In the grim, dark future, there is only (d)war(f)...
And socks.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: April 22, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »

Just wondering if the multi-tile creatures will appear before a more detailed GUI.

˛

E ˛˛
˛   
˛
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: April 22, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »

For the tallness I expect their symbol to appear across as many z levels as necesary, for thickness they probably will be just as wagons, squares, rounds, lines or whatever. Dunno if another GUI is ever going to be used.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: April 22, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »

Just wondering if the multi-tile creatures will appear before a more detailed GUI.

˛

E ˛˛
˛   
˛

Doubtful. GUI changes are probably a bit easier than that, y'know?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: April 22, 2014, 04:23:38 pm »

˛

E ˛˛
˛   
˛

Doubtful. GUI changes are probably a bit easier than that, y'know?
Not to wander off into Suggestionland, I can see using X*Y tiles in a graphics set in a straightforward manner.  The issue would be what to do with the Page 437 characters in vanilla.  In my Marksdwarf-meets-his-doom example, the elephant symbol was simply stretched into a 2x2.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10326 on: April 22, 2014, 04:31:04 pm »

Graphics aren't the issue for multi-tile creatures.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: April 22, 2014, 05:40:35 pm »

The biggest problem AFAIK is pathfinding.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10328 on: April 22, 2014, 06:46:39 pm »

nopes. Well, its the explotations.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: April 22, 2014, 07:06:21 pm »

nopes. Well, its the explotations.

I don't think Toady is concerned with the exploitation by the players. The issue is how the pathfinding's calculations work inside the game, currently it doesn't/can't process impassable tiles related to size of the creatures.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: April 22, 2014, 10:55:45 pm »

I was aware that pathing was the current bottleneck, was just wondering what a multitile creature would actually look like.  A real kludge would be to allow exactly two sizes: 1x1 and 3x3 using wagon pathing.  I doubt Toady will take the easy way out, and do pathing properly.
Just got back, updating:

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: April 22, 2014, 11:59:07 pm »

I doubt Toady will take the easy way out, and instead do pathing properly.

I assume that's what you meant?

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: April 23, 2014, 02:55:31 am »

Ah, I saw a 3x3 tree trunk in there.  This requires a dwarf to tunnel under it and carve an up/down staircase right through the middle of it.

How elvish ... although cutting the heart of a tree also sounds like the opposite.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: April 23, 2014, 03:07:00 am »

Ah, I saw a 3x3 tree trunk in there.  This requires a dwarf to tunnel under it and carve an up/down staircase right through the middle of it.

How elvish ... although cutting the heart of a tree also sounds like the opposite.

Well, heartwood is already dead, so I don't see why they'd really mind.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: April 23, 2014, 04:12:41 am »

These slow-growing large trees might require careful stewardship to ensure a sustainable and steady supply of wood, which is worryingly elvish.

Alternatively, if we can cut them down using a speeding minecart full of giant serrated steel discs, then dwarvishness will be resumed!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 748