Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7548 7549 [7550] 7551 7552 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8766073 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113235 on: June 01, 2018, 07:35:08 am »

I had to bring out a calculator for the number sequence, and the one with the letters I couldn't answer.

It counted up from A and down from Z but showed with each second one being from either count.

Code: [Select]
1. A|Z = A
2. B|Y = Y
3. C|X = C
4. D|W = W
5. E|V = E
6. F|U = U
7. G|T = G
8. H|S = S

So the answer was S, as far as I could tell. I scored 17/18, so I'm 94% certain.

I got pretty hung up on the language questions, like the opposite to Instinctive being Learned or Willed. I strongly feel it could be either. Also, "Hive is to Bee as Den is to..." was probably supposed to be Lion, right? But Cats (assuming house cats) have dens too. In fact, lion dens are probably called such specifically because cats have dens. And a lion is a cat. Right?
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113236 on: June 01, 2018, 07:46:55 am »

the opposite to Instinctive being Learned or Willed. I strongly feel it could be either.

That's where cultural knowledge kicks in. The answer is "Learned". At least in English, because we generally categorize things like that: instinctive behaviors vs learned behaviors. Not instinctive behaviors vs willed behaviors.

e.g. there are mating instincts in humans, but the will still decides to act on them. e.g. "Willed" would only be the antonym of instinct if you exclude all instincts that you have a choice to follow.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:58:35 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113237 on: June 01, 2018, 08:26:10 am »

I had to bring out a calculator for the number sequence, and the one with the letters I couldn't answer.

It counted up from A and down from Z but showed with each second one being from either count.

1. A|Z = A
2. B|Y = Y
3. C|X = C
4. D|W = W
5. E|V = E
6. F|U = U
7. G|T = G
8. H|S = S

So the answer was S, as far as I could tell. I scored 17/18, so I'm 94% certain.

I got pretty hung up on the language questions, like the opposite to Instinctive being Learned or Willed. I strongly feel it could be either. Also, "Hive is to Bee as Den is to..." was probably supposed to be Lion, right? But Cats (assuming house cats) have dens too. In fact, lion dens are probably called such specifically because cats have dens. And a lion is a cat. Right?
Lions do not live in dens, nor do housecats. There might be one or two feline species that dig a den though.
Wolves live in dens. A lion lives in a pride (group), but does not have a den.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113238 on: June 01, 2018, 08:27:13 am »

I mean, female lions do when they give birth....

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113239 on: June 01, 2018, 08:29:33 am »

AFAIK, lions give birth out in the open. Or well, at least not underground. Tall grass / bushes is all they need.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113240 on: June 01, 2018, 08:31:23 am »

I googled do lions live in dens, and it told me that female lions birth in dens of some sort, which DOES make logical sense, since such a thing is easier to protect

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113241 on: June 01, 2018, 09:31:29 am »

1. A|Z = A
2. B|Y = Y
3. C|X = C
4. D|W = W
5. E|V = E
6. F|U = U
7. G|T = G
8. H|S = S

Lions do not live in dens, nor do housecats. There might be one or two feline species that dig a den though.
Wolves live in dens. A lion lives in a pride (group), but does not have a den.

Whether or not they they behaviorally den is not relevant to whether or not the word is associated with them. And cats and lions both have dens from that perspective.
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113242 on: June 01, 2018, 09:33:34 am »

When I heard "Den" I thought "Bears"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113243 on: June 01, 2018, 09:39:50 am »

Bears (and wolves) also den, but neither were options in the query.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113244 on: June 01, 2018, 09:58:30 am »

I googled do lions live in dens, and it told me that female lions birth in dens of some sort, which DOES make logical sense, since such a thing is easier to protect
Wait a second.... are we talking about African or European lions?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:00:10 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113245 on: June 01, 2018, 10:19:45 am »

Wait a second.... are we talking about African or European lions?
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen lion?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113246 on: June 01, 2018, 11:45:55 am »

Faster than me, but even faster than my friend ):
...What?  Why wouldn't that be sad?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113247 on: June 01, 2018, 12:09:41 pm »

Faster than me, but even faster than my friend ):

That sounds like a joke adaptation. Two guys are on safari and a lion comes across their campsite, the lion charges at them and one guy stops to put his running shoes on. The other guy says "you can't outrun a lion" and the first guy says "but I can outrun you".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113248 on: June 01, 2018, 01:43:12 pm »

There are European lions??? Wtf? Why didn't anybody told me that before??? What else are you hidding guys???!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #113249 on: June 01, 2018, 01:51:17 pm »

When I heard "Den" I thought "Bears"

I was thinking foxes or badgers.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 7548 7549 [7550] 7551 7552 ... 8156