Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress computer (physical computer to run DF)  (Read 20788 times)

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress computer (physical computer to run DF)
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 05:52:11 pm »

But nonetheless, if a detection device could track your speed from Earth, you would be moving 99.999999999999999% lightspeed plus a bit - you would be moving faster than lightspeed, correct?

No, you would be going 99.9999999999999999% light speed. A fraction, .0000000000000009 difference.. Not plus a normal walking speed, but plus your radically time-dilated speed. Every bit faster would get you closer and closer, but the closer you get the more massive you become, thus requiring more enegy... Eventually you'd need infinite energy to move mass at the speed of light.

also, sorry for continuing off topic discussion

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2010, 06:20:11 pm »

Wait, is Xoen real? He sounds like a bot to me.
Xoen, what is three plus four?

Also, I get it now. Thanks Thursday!

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2010, 06:25:49 pm »

Wait, is Xoen real? He sounds like a bot to me.
Xoen, what is three plus four?

Also, I get it now. Thanks Thursday!

maybe if you realize there are lots of people playing DF, you can reconsider your shit.
after few days i realized there are just collegues of collegues, ZERO help, ZERO tolerance, here.
FU, if you think i am bot.

thank you, oh, great bearded community.
3+4 = another fockin consumer, i assume.

go buy another tetraquad.
PM me how i can delete account.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:40:56 pm by xoen »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2010, 06:32:20 pm »

My post no longer makes sense. I was asking if Xoen was a bot because he was ranting in a very strange manner - it seemed to me like his post was computer-generated. He changed it to "ignore, sry" afterwards; here is the original post.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2010, 06:34:17 pm »

it seemed, thx, man.
lazy, selfish bum(i know, it is too hard to check account) ye're, dude.
go on, talk about light.

Please, remove my account, i assume there is perfect english needed to be real man here.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:47:16 pm by xoen »

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2010, 07:21:34 pm »

xoen,

Cheddarius asked if you were a bot because you posts went from jovial to very aggressive. Maybe he thought your account had been hacked? I don't know..  but you have nothing to worry about as far as your English goes. I can understand you just fine.

And if you want to know why you have gotten ZERO help with merging DF mods...  maybe it's not as "simple" as you put it, maybe someone who knows how hasn't seen it yet.

The community is what we make of it...  if we bring bad attitude, that is we will get.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 07:28:39 pm »

If xoen's still here...

I haven't seen the mod merging topic, but WinMerge is linked on the wiki. I haven't used it myself though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 07:29:14 pm »

nope, i just realized how hard is to enter such closed community...
(+ too much BEER).

it should be rather clear i lost my nerves...i have hard times lately, it is affecting how i see/understand people...sorry for this.

btw - Deon is great helper, but i may be too stupid to understand what he said to me, so, let's take it as my fault what happened.
i became addicted to that game, and seeing its potential it makes me angry that i am not able to fully get into modded experience.
sorry.

Sutremaine, thanks, i need to check that(although i heard it may lead to unusual problems sometimes).

sorry for OT then, i better go now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:36:19 pm by xoen »

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2010, 07:39:15 pm »

It's OK to have a bad day every now and then.

Take the night off, enjoy the beer! ...and give the community another shot tomorrow.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 08:17:32 pm »

Wow, that was a pretty abrupt derail.
That was almost awesome actually.

Anyways, hope you... uh, figure things out xoen, im sure he didnt mean to offend you when he asked if you were a bot.

So, If any one of you guys were to build THE dwarf fortress computer, how would you go about it, what sorta choices and parts, and why.

Roughly what i would do is get a dual-core, probably one with nice OCD potential (to something like 3.6-4.0 GHZ), a big heatsink, microATX motherboard with decent integrated, 2 gigs of ram, 300 gig hard drive, and a short, box-like black case with a PSU, cause it looks awesome.
(maybe some orange/red spray paint and flame molds too.)
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 08:55:01 pm »

microATX motherboard with decent integrated

The new 32nm LGA1156 dual cores have "decent" (decent enough for Half Life 2 probably) integrated graphics built into the CPU itself.

Can we get back on topic, please? No fucking brains in a jar playing Dwarf Fortress or any of that crap.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 10:33:29 pm »

I just saw this and I thought that those of you obsessed with SUPER DUPER COMPUTERS OF TEH FUTURE might be interested

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/24482/?a=f&

Unlike quantum computers and all that silly stuff, this might actually have some bearing on the future of Dwarf Fortress. If what the article is saying is true, it might not be unreasonable to expect x64 consumer CPU's to be ten times faster PER CORE than they are now within a decade. That's IF they can miniaturise the technology small enough to compete with silicon and if the graphene based CPU's don't require an unreasonable amount of power to reach high clock speeds.

Geekkake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 11:46:04 pm »

If you're interested:

Lynnfield quad i5 at 3.20 GHz, 8 GB RAM, no real video card to speak of (haven't gotten around to it, and I'm not trying to add GPU power yet, anyway (if I understand you folks correctly)).

Still getting bogged down to 25-35 FPS (with rapid fluctuations) at 97 dwarf population and 112 animals (yeah, it's getting out of control). No critters to speak of outside except this one goddamned alligator harassing people and being a nuisance. The framerate drops here and there, but doesn't really go below 25 yet. Not doing anything crazy with devices, it's an inefficient fortress with lots of unnecessary pathfinding, and things seem to slow down even more with strip-mining the bottom z-level.

I'm relatively new to the game and not a tech-head, so I'm not sure if any of this is helpful, but it seemed relevant to the conversation. Oh, and running nothing else but the OS (W7) and Firefox with a few tabs.

Man, I really need to set up a viable butcher to get rid of these critters...

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2010, 06:28:50 pm »

I've always wanted to ask this, and maybe this is an appropriate thread, but why oh why is DF so god damned slow? I can't comprehend how a game that looks like something I played on my 286 is so processor intensive. Is it just a result of inefficient programming? I know Toady has said he has no formal training in programming, so is he making mistakes that make the game run badly?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2010, 07:34:14 pm »

I've always wanted to ask this, and maybe this is an appropriate thread, but why oh why is DF so god damned slow? I can't comprehend how a game that looks like something I played on my 286 is so processor intensive. Is it just a result of inefficient programming? I know Toady has said he has no formal training in programming, so is he making mistakes that make the game run badly?

It's partly inefficient programming -- not so much mistakes, as Toady being one guy doing this by himself with little time for optimization.

The other half of it though is that DF does an insane amount of under-the-hood modelling -- water flow, personalities and relationships of each dwarf to each other dwarf, etc. For example, the reason that turning off "weather" makes people's computers run so much faster is that DF isn't just randomly deciding to sprinkle blue on  each tile for a while, it's modelling weather fronts across the entire world. All that modelling pays off in the long run -- all the interlocking models are why so much crazy shit happens in DF -- but it's CPU intensive like nobody's business.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7