Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 238383 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1560 on: December 25, 2022, 05:22:42 am »

Ballista Queen best Queen :D

Food scarcity doesn't surprise me; in my forts I make a big stockpile of it, then go on expansion/building/prettyfying projects, and then I notice the food/drink stocks went below 3 digits... with 200+ populace. Woops!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1561 on: December 28, 2022, 07:00:37 am »

The Queen tears me between "I really like her and I'm grateful she joined our fortress" and "damn I really want to know who will succeed her". Probably some unknown peasant no one cares for but oh well
For the ballista, I want to make a secure firing position, either on land or over sea (on a secondary bridge for exemple), but that's a big undertaking and might need to wait until the palace is finished (one year top).

As for famine... yeah. Keeping a lot of edible furry friends around was definitely a good move. Food production is fine...food processing needs to be upgraded. We have too much flour sacks, not enough bread ovens. But all that is small setback, we'll adapt our infrastructure.

Next update may take some time as fall 156 was very violent

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: December 28, 2022, 10:20:25 am »

Uh oh.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: December 29, 2022, 12:49:42 pm »

Glad to see this story is still going strong. Loved popping in for another peak at the humans of Mong Kima.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1564 on: December 29, 2022, 01:13:57 pm »

Glad to see this story is still going strong. Loved popping in for another peak at the humans of Mong Kima.
Hey Megaman, long time no see ! Most of Zhotoabo's family is still in Thomocemir...but Kiseabo, the kid you named, is now an adult and is our barkeeper.

MK have been the engine powering my artistic improvement for almost half a decade now ? I regret nothing

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 13, 2023, 10:21:35 pm »

"They would chuck large spears."

Yup, that's the sort of attitude we've come to appreciate.  And likewise:

Next update may take some time as fall 156 was very violent

Dwarf Fortress, ho!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1566 on: January 18, 2023, 06:27:04 am »

Before I start this update, I have to say that I saw with regret that saves will no longer be compatible with versions 0.50 onward, making version 47.05 the final version of the world of Minbazkar. Part of me hoped that the world would still continue to evolve in parrallel with my art skill, my gaming experience and the game Dwarf Fortress, and today I see that will not be the case.

I remember when I started I'd always stick with this world, someone asked me what I would do when the compatibility break would eventually come. I say I'd just stop updating, and that is where I am, three-four years later.

I'm not even sure I'll ever play future versions at all.

Eh.

Fall 156

Brawl on the bridge
Two september – fall had just started to fall over Kimaeslo Ori. Thanks to the expansion of the fields to produce some readily edible vegetable and fruits, the opening of new bread ovens and the slaughter of half a dozen heads of cattle, it was now certain the town would not suffer famine. Early harvest already started and oat bread was produced, once again, faster that it was consumed.

Not only that, but soon the dwarven merchants from Nishtiz would come – trade with them was made to such a profit for them that the towns merchants were confident they could haggle years worth of food in addition to the usual cloth and bone jewlery for metal trade.

Things were not perfect yet, thought Mate as he crossed the bridge, a large basket full of the fruits of the early autumn harvest, to be stored in the new granary. Not perfect – but improving. Those small shortages here and there, these moments of hardship and occasional trials – these are the growing pains of the new capitale city.

The sun had set for a couple hours now – Mate would go to sleep after that trip. Because of the night and his own state of tiredness, he did not see the large shadow advancing toward him at a decided pace. Unseen but not unfelt – in a second, the vibes of the peaceful late autumn evening became heavy and oppressive.

The large shadow jumped on him like a hawk on its prey. Mate did not recognize his aggressor – it was a vagrant by the name of Thakom, but it was the first time the two met. A large hand grabbed him by his collar and his basket of goods fell on the bridge.

Mate did not know either why he was assaulted – the vagrant was probably after the food he was carrying. This, or it was simply dumb class-based violence. Mate, after all, was a high standing citizen.

Now Mate was not a soldier and had no military training at all. He was a cook and a bread baker by profession. He had, however, lived in Thomocemir for a long part of his life and violence was something he learnt to deal with.

He tried to calm his aggressor, he tried to wriggle out of the lead hand grapped around his hood cloth – when nothing worked and the beating was imminant, he called for help.

Help did not come a second too soon. A group of soldiers, socializing in the bridge barracks, heard of the commotion and jumped out of the building, weapons in hand – they were the volonteers of Bidkΰ, now all master-at-arms.

They took half a second to assess the situation – a pearlite vagrant was on top of a baker from Thomocemir, beating him senselessly. The vagrant was armed, and they couldn't intervene without risks. Mate could survive the beating...But if he didn't, what would the soldiers say ? And besides, could they really just stand and watch ?

Bidkΰ took the initiative and ordered her men to just kill the vagrant. A brief silver tinkle in the moonlight, and the vagrant was on the ground with a skull half open – death would come soon after.

Mate have been wounded in the fight, and it is in vain that he tried to stand up.

« The doctor will come for you » assured captain Bidkΰ, helping him to sit against the wall. « Don't move, and don't worry about what just happened. »

The corpse of the vagrant was thrown in the trash compactor, and a discrete stone was ciselled so an angry ghost would not come for a second brawl from the great beyond. Of course, nobody liked to see pearlites killing pearlites, and that issue with vagrants was the most regrettable of all – hopefully, the coming harvest and the autumn's fair would calm the spirits and ease the tensions between communities.

Mate would spend the following days in a hospital bed and be taken care for by Ralin – his wounds would eventually heal. He could has easily have been crippled, but at this rate he was not complaining.

Still, the bad omen the season started with was not lost on him.

Agitation

In the meantime, the military was growing restless. A long time has passed without any significant development in their campaign against Osme, one way or another. Large Osmite armies have been seen in the southern shores of the lake, in Stustonako, and there was little doubt the Empire did not lose its ability to wage an offensive war. Still, Kimaeslo Ori have been left untouched for a long time.

« We need to take the initiative ! » said captain Oko, the elder of the town's army, at the strategic meeting held 10th of September. « If Ossme doesn't advance its agenda, we need to advance ours. »

There was some truth to his words – most of the conditions for a successful advance were here : they had a lot of men, excellent training, good equipment. They could awlays prepare better armors and forge better blades – but there's a point where preparation turns into delaying.

« I want to see a great pearlite victory before I pass » the old man added. « My troops are ready, simply give the order. »

Totten and Histamine discussed among themselves. Two squads of volonteers were prepared to occupy osmite settlements – Bidkΰ's and Oko's. Their troops were indeed ready – not frontline ready, but still employable.

Histamine especially, thought about it for a moment. In the north, the villages of Ngomzogast and Bosastozu still needed to be taken – Bosastozu especially, begged for an occupation.

« Alright, » she said after a long inner deliberation. « I have a plan. »

Probing attack

The 21th of September, a large force comprised of the squads of Captain Histamine, Captain Islas and Captain Sas, assisted by half a dozen wardogs, arrived in the hilly village of  Ngomzogast.

It was a small goblin settlements of about a hundred souls – as they saw the pearlite army, they tried to gather up a defensive force. But their efforts were disorganized and ineffective – they lacked armors, they lacked weapons, manpower and will to fight. Their nobility could only line up fifteen souls to defend the village – half as much as the pearlites, and a tenth as skilled.

It was supposed to be a probing attack – it was a crushing victory : Histamine's plan allowed for a total surround of the village, and its makeshift military was anihilated in the first engagement. The village was pillaged and victorious pearlites would come back home by the 23th.

There was a few looted goods, of course, but they were mostly without value – the attack had only one goal – to pin the troops in Ngomzogast and to prevent them from intervening to prevent the real attack – against the village of Bosastozu.

Desperation

In the spring, elves from Iferifiyopi had brought a female grizzly bear to the bridgetown. She was bought at great price, and immediately paired with the male they brought a few years ago. She then vanished a bit out of sight, as the life of a domestic bear may not be the most relevant to these reports – but as it turns out, the two of them have been particularly busy.

Soon, the beast handlers reported that three cubs have been birthed – one male and two females.

It would take a while for them to become the warbeast they are destined to be – but they'll get there. Elven warbeasts, after all, defeated the elite garrison of Tetzobsha, and if they could be used for ill, surely they could be used for good.

Among the people who were not touched by the coming to life of those three fur monsters, Uzu – still sinking deeper and deeper into depression as days shortened.

Islas had try everything to cheer up his companion. He spared with him, brought him to the tavern to drink, arranged his wedding, argued with Lady Desli so he could have vacations to wind down – nothing worked.

« Totten ordered an attack on Bosastozu » he announced to his friend. « Do you want to come with us ? It'll be an adventure, like in the old days. »

It was desperation at this point.

Uzu did not really answer. He gave a blank, emotionless stare, and shrugged. He did eventually agree to lead the attack as he would outrank all other participating officer – and so Uzu, Islas and their combined force of twenty souls departed for the village of Bosastozu.

For the brutal schooling it recieved in September, the village of Ngomzogast had a couple defensive advantages : it was located deep in the hills, had a rather sizable population and could, in a pinch, find a couple old swords and spears to arm its population.

Bosastozu had none of that. It was the home of twenty goblins, out of them only five had any kind of military experience. It was located in the valley, directly exposed to an attack from the south and was very hard to defend.

Even though it was Uzu's first try with tactics, he managed to surprize the enemy's garrison – they were goblins peons really. The ridicule force they tried to oppose to the heroes of Mong Kima was crushed in a single charge.

Seven goblins were killed – that doesn't seems much until you consider the total population of Bosastozu – of twenty.

More trash was also seized

When they came back, Uzu fell into a catatonic state. His eyes were empty – he stop responding to people around him, and walked aimlessly on the bridge. People of the town thought that it was it – the young man finally lost his mind, broken by the war.

He made a recovery  a week later – but his state was so serious it could no longer delay an intervention : his whole squad was turned into a therapy squad, was denied training and forbid to work, ordered under severe penalty to take soe deserved rest, drink, and socialize for the rest of the season.

Editors note : At this point we're out of ideas for Uzu. That « vacation squad » seems to improve his mood but we can't tell if the improvement will be consistant or even positive overall.

Autumn fair

Dwarven merchants from Nishtiz arrived in mid-October in a rather joyful Kimaeslo-Ori.Their arrival was long awaited ; not only for the dwarven iron they brought every autumn and was crafted into humanity's deadliest weapons, but also because they brought along a collection of food barrels.

Histamine bought everything she could – until food production was enough to generate a healthy surplus, having a large buffer would prevent tensions with the vagrants – and among citizen !–  from rising again uncontrolably.

This season especially, trade was productive. Food, metal, but also leather and cloth were bought in gigantic quantities. The craftmen of Kimaeslo Ori would not lack work for the coming year.

Bosastozu falls

At this point, the nothern Osmite settlement has been adequately softened and it was decided they would not try to deny Mong Kima's progress before they could reconstitute some fighting force.  It was time to exploit and consolidate, starting from Bosastozu.

Oko and Bidkΰ were sent with their squads to occupy the area – only twelve goblins remained alive there, all civilians, and they surrendered as soon as they were given the chance. Oko took position as the village's administrator.

This move effectively cut Ngomzogast from reinforcements and will facilitate its subsequent capture.

The fall of Bosastozu is a step toward the goal of the northern campaign which was to eliminate Osmite presence on the northern shore of the salt lake – the fall of Ngomzogast to follow is to be the first operational victory for Mong Kima since the beggining of the war.

State of the war at the end of fall 156

This is about it for this report ! Maybe it is worth noting that the palace's architecture is almost done and just needs a bit of roofing to be complete. There will still be a need for a lot of furnitures and windows, but stonework will be available for other projects, such as developping the western bank, or building more housing to allow for population growth.

Oh, and Uzu acquired two dogs – maybe animal company will do him good, and Islas was acquired by a cat. These things unfortunately happen.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:32:59 am by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: January 18, 2023, 09:55:21 am »

Oh yes that bridge is looking like a beauty.

Good stuff on the update overall. A little military progress, a lot of development to the community.

As to updating, nothing wrong with sticking to a previous version. Sucks to lose out on some new features, but this 47.05 seems like it sits in a comfortable spot for your needs. Most you'll need is just an indicator of what version you're using now, and even that's just if you feel like making a note on the thread topic or not.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 18, 2023, 09:10:40 pm »

Eh, 0.50 is overrated anyway. :P

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: January 19, 2023, 05:56:09 pm »

I hope the new version doesn't discourage you from continuing!

Despite having the steam version purchased I find I'm still playing the old version a lot! Especially because I have a new love of adventure mode

I can say as a reader that the version you use doesn't affect how much I enjoy reading about Mong Kima!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1570 on: January 19, 2023, 07:36:45 pm »

By itself it wont... It's just a concatenation of many issues that I can individually ignore, but are a pain collectively. The compatibility break is a pain, as Mong Kima was started back in 34.07 I believe and survived previous so-called compatibility breaks. So... it was a long time coming, this save should have died two years ago.

I'll just say it once to get it off my chest and never adress it again : I'm massively bummed out by the direction things are going. I'll try to ignore it but I've read some stuff on this forum as of late that I feel I should actively distance myself from.

As for Mong Kima, it will continue no matter what, even if it is not here, even if it's just for myself - I'm evaluating options and I made no determination so far. Maybe I'll format everything and put out a massive pdf one day. Or launch a website. I dunno.

Speaking of the future :

Maybe at this point we can decide of the goals of the Thaguk Alnos. My idea was to at least succeed in the northern and southern campaigns as laid out in previous posts, that would push back Osme in its historical borders - at a minimum. Ideally, we should win the war completely and crush Osme.
A secondary goal would be to raise the population to... 300 ? 400 ? To survive some 20 years at a minimum, to have a positive trade balance (I'm keeping track of it) aaaaand - I feel we should add a megaproject to that list. I'm taking ideas.

When we retire the fort, Kimaeslo Ori should be the shining jewel of Mong Kima. We have a big bridge and a (soon) pretty manor on top of it, but nothing that screams capitale city of the Nation of Pearls yet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 20, 2023, 06:34:45 pm »

A large fortification built out of living quarters. Somewhere between a castle and an apartment building.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 20, 2023, 07:06:59 pm »

I don't think I've posted in this one before, so might just as well do it now to show my appreciation:

I've been reading this on and off since you started it (I think I wasn't yet registered at that point). There's some large parts I've yet to read, but I've been very much liking the story and how you portray the human society in your world. These kind of long running stories are a great inspiration to keep own games going, so I'm glad to hear you'll continue to work on it.

Also, it's been great to see how your skill and style in drawing has changed and grown during the time.

(I'm also sticking with 0.47.05 and don't see myself changing to the Steam version any time soon. Maybe when Adventure mode is in, but it depends on which direction things head. (At the moment, let's just say I have reservations and not much expectations.))

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 21, 2023, 01:12:18 am »

So . . . the bridge doesn't count as a megaproject??  Dude, it's beautiful.  Count it as a success.

I can understand the social frustrations.  I am very choosy about what I read and follow.

And, as a sidenote, I adore the cat-adopting-human comic.  I needed that.  Now to go pet the kitty who was meowing at me for real.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 21, 2023, 02:32:39 am »

So . . . the bridge doesn't count as a megaproject??

Only if he puts a giant bronze construction over it with each leg on different side of the bridge a la Colossus of Rhodes :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 111