Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Let's Play TFTD!  (Read 15913 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play TFTD!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 06:18:50 pm »

Final destination: THE AFTERLIFE.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 06:28:43 pm »

Put it in the East Coast, toward the northern end of the Atlantic.  Then you'll cover the US and Europe, and you can call it Titanic.  And you damn well you need to play on Superhuman.  It'll be Superhuman regardless.

I say use the Improved Base, because the default base layout is damn retarded.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 06:48:53 pm »

New Zealand is cooler than Australia. I change my vote.

Alright then, Kiwi-a-gogo Land and the Bemusing Triangle are currently tied in the lead, along with two disputing "East Coast" locations.

Hardest difficulty possible. Only dart pistols. Antartica.

I just decided to do some (fuzzy) math on that.

Spoiler: MATH (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 06:50:29 pm »

I say use the Improved Base, because the default base layout is damn retarded.

Improved or Alternative?  The Alternative layout just fixes the standard setup to be more defensible, whereas Improved gives you extra goodies such as more scientists and an alien containment facility pre-built.

EDIT:  Aww ship, I didn't mean to make a new post.  Was just gonna copy this and slip it into the previous post.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 06:52:00 pm »

I don't know how damage does works, but I do know that's not how it works.  Check a wounded squaddie, you'll see that his health is down, and the armor on the facing he's hit will be reduced, but rarely gone.

And yeah, I meant the Alternative base.  X-COM is supposed to be damn hard after all.  (But don't do the slow research thing, that's just crazy.)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 06:52:11 pm »

Dart pistols and stun rods only then?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 06:58:28 pm »

I don't know how damage does works, but I do know that's not how it works.  Check a wounded squaddie, you'll see that his health is down, and the armor on the facing he's hit will be reduced, but rarely gone.

Well, I made several other tweaks and assumptions for that particular calculation.  Still though, it starts on down the path towards showing how completely insane it would be...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 04:55:46 am »

Chapter One: Volunteer Work

I remember sitting in my chair that day, thinking about what we were going to do with the new tissue samples now that the machines were down, and how we were going to store the overflow of specimens.  I also remember thinking about how nobody had called the support guy, so the coffee maker was still broken to the point that it churned out a liquid that made you decide to just suck on the filter for a while.

I remember thinking that those were problems.  Big problems, even.  Maybe not as big as the backlog of unpaid rent on my apartment or the student loans that never seemed to give up and go away, but still big problems.  I had absolutely no idea then just how much my life could change in the next few hours.

Michelle, the research lab's secretary/receptionist, came over to me at my station (she loathed her given name, stating that only pasty-white people who smelled like 'antique' upholstery called her Michelle.  I pointed out to her that, considering the sun exposure a lot of us lab rats got, all we needed to do was sit in an old sofa in order to call her that).

"Hey Mickey, what's up.  What are you doing back here?" 

"Uhh, well...   This really would have been a perfect opportunity to buzz you on the intercom, but seeing as we don't actually have one of those, I had to come back here to tell you."

"Tell me what?  You haven't said anything beyond stating how woefully under-equipped we are.  Which, really, isn't saying anything."

She looked a little unsure for a moment, obviously thinking about how best to put it.  Then she blurted out

"There are a couple big men in dark suits waiting up front to see you."

She looked at me, searching for an answer.

"You're not...   You haven't, you know, done anything...  Have you?"

I'll admit I actually had to give it some thought.  Looking back through my recent past, I couldn't determine anything that 'big men in dark suits' would be unhappy with me for.  Or, more importantly, anything they could find out.

"I'll go see what they want.  Go find Richards and tell him to look busy at my station for a while, 'kay?"

She nodded and went off.  I'd managed to settle her down about the unknown visitors, now it was time for my to try my luck on my own nerves...

Getting to what served as a sort of front desk for the facility, I encountered the two men described to me by Michelle.  They were, as she said, both very big.  Their suits were also very dark, but I have to admit I was focusing a little more on the first detail.  They noticed me and came over.

"Professor Mikolaj Kagus?"

"Call me Mike."

I proffered my hand, but the man simply reached into his suit jacket and retrieved what looked like a policeman's credentials.

"I'm agent Stuart Crismond, and this is agent Guy Long.  We're from ADAM."

"ADAM?"

"Agency for the Defense of All Mankind."  chimed agent Long, who came over to the huddle.

"I'll admit it's not a particularly creative name, but the Powers That Be didn't exactly deem it necessary to spend too much time on what they should call us."

I looked at them.  They looked back.  They looked like they were serious.  I probably looked like I was seriously confused.  I guess this time, looks weren't being their deceitful selves.

"So...  What do you want with me?" I asked.

Agent Crismond stuffed his ID back into his suit and said "Professor Kagus, are you familiar with the X-COM?"

"The Extraterrestrial Combat Unit, yes.  Big thing quite a few years ago.  But it was shut down not long after the new millennium though, wasn't it?"

Crismond nodded.  "The X-COM unit was successful in pushing back the threat to humanity.  And, as it was no longer needed to combat the alien menace, it was officially disbanded."

Agent Long then stepped up and said "Unofficially, however, they never really stopped completely.  We've had feelers out for some time, always keeping an eye out in case of another attempted incursion."

"And a few months ago, we found something."

This was all just getting more and more confusing.  Two strangers waltz into my lab, start talking about 'alien incursions', and then refer to an almost mythic organization as part of 'we'.

"I still don't see how this relates to me." I said.

"The new threat", he responded, "isn't extraterrestrial".

Agent Crismond pulled out some papers from his jacket and handed them to me.  I wondered what else he had hiding in there.

"These are reports from the various Watchpost facilities we have scattered around the globe.  As you can see, several coastal installations have been picking up activity in waters around South America, China, Australasia and the East Coast of the United States.  They have confirmed this activity to be of alien origin."

I leafed through the papers.  None of the graphs or notes meant anything to me, but I doubted it meant much to the two goons in front of me either, so I tried to look like I knew what I was doing.  I wanted to have some sort of upper hand on them, as I found myself slipping more and more down a slope of incomprehension.  They had probably taken classes on how to do that...

"ADAM is fully reinstating the X-COM, effective immediately.  You have been selected to lead the effort."

I looked at Crismond with what I imagine must have been an expression similar to that of a rabbit which has recently been subjected to a significant voltage.  I started to gabble.

"Wha-but, what?  Me?  Why the hell do you want ME?  I'm a scientist for chrissakes!  A goddamn pencil-pusher!  I've never had anything even remotely to do with, with...   this sort of thing!"

"Due to the nature of the threat, ADAM has been looking to recruit a marine biologist to lead this effort.  Your psych profile came up.  You were picked, they sent us."

"And now we're telling you about it" added Guy.

I looked at him incredulously.

"But X-COM was a military organization!  I'm a civilian, I've never been near anything more dangerous than the BB gun my uncle gave me!"

To this, agent Long said "Not anymore.  As of now, you are an official member of the United World Protection Force."

He then smiled slightly and popped a crisp salute.  Interestingly enough, my mind was somehow able to siphon off the processing power required to wonder how such a casual person could wind up as a high-level government agent, let alone retain his job for any length of time.

I took a deep breath, and thought about all that had been said.

"This isn't a joke, is it?"

Both agents shook their heads.

"Just figured I would check..."

Another deep breath.  Helped whisk away some of the clutter in my mind.

"Alright then.  What do you want me to do?"

End of Chapter One

Yeah.  So, basically, nothing has happened yet.  I haven't been able to get around to actually doing anything ingame yet, and it's closing in on 2:00 AM here, so I won't be doing a whole heck of a lot more tonight.  Location has been chosen, as has the name of the base itself (although this may be subject to change if people object).

All I need to do is plunk it down and get to workin'.  I recommend y'all start claiming spots on the roster.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 06:06:16 am »

What sort of information for the roster?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 06:28:47 am »

Nickname: Devastation
Real name: It's embarrassing, so he doesn't tell the other soldiers.
Weapon: Best available rifle.
Personality: Cool-guy wannabe. He fails at it.

If you're not firing all the engineers at first, let's research gauss pistols so they have something to do to help pay their salaries.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 09:50:01 am »

Name:  Gang Bai (gotten off a random name generator)
Weapon of choice: Rifle
Likes to act carefully and hide behind cover and move up the battle field slowly. 
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 11:44:26 am »

Name: Spartan 117

Weapon: Explosives.

Personality: Awesome.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 12:29:16 pm »

Name: Brutus Maximus
Weapon: Heavy weapons and explosives
Personality: Careless Frontman

Notes: Passion, to him, is defined by his knowledge of weaponry, especially big guns. He can care less what happens to his teammates or his enemies. As long as there's a satisfying KABOOM or a gory execution involved, he'll be happy. A truly willing frontman if need be.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 02:02:11 pm »

Name: Gordon Freeman
Weapon; Dual pistols, 'nades
Personality; Lone wolf. Your typical FPS single-player player. Cares nothing for squad tactics, allies are for looting ammo when they (inevitably) die.
Motivation: Searching for the artifact weapon he lost when he was warped to this world. The weapon? His crowbar, of course! :D

*Edit* Shoot. Meant to post this in the apocalypse thread. Ah well, use him if you want.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:04:04 pm by rickvoid »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 02:30:44 pm »

Yeah, dual pistols do exactly squat in turn-based.  And besides, I daresay ol' Dr. Freeman would be a fair sight more appropriate with the whole dimensional portal thing going on in Apocalypse.  Surprised no one thought of it earlier.

Anyways, yes, I suppose I probably should have laid out some basic guidelines for what I was asking for.  But it was two in the morning and I wasn't thinking straight.

I essentially just wanted some names, possibly with weapon preferences (within some form of reason).  I'm a little wary of taking tactics preferences, since X-COM in general is brutal when it comes to making mistakes.  Move the wrong way, and you'll die.  Run forward too far or too fast, and you'll die.  And I'm not going to save/reload seven times in a row to try and save you.

So far it's looking alright.  Rifle preferences are just fine, having a grenadier is often useful, and I was planning on trying to use mostly gas cannons with HE shells in the early game, so that fills both weapon preferences of Brutus in one spit.

Personalities will be tricky for me to portray, but I'll be happy to attempt it.  Like I said, I mostly just want name tags.  I'm neither experienced nor flexible enough in playing this to fully support per-character tactics.

And although medkits are actually more profitable than gauss pistols, I'll probably research them anyways.  Just so we've got something halfway decent for the support goons and scouts (it's not much, but sure beats those dart guns).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7