Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Automaton Fortress (3.0) (is rly dead)  (Read 32439 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automaton Fortress (3.0)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 07:18:42 pm »

-leader can only be a diamond automaton (can't designate specific caste for leader)
The tag used to restrict positions to certain castes does work, just not during worldgen.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 07:19:22 pm »

He's fully aware of that.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »

Fun fact: while diamonds are top of Mohs scale (and are hence difficult to scratch) , they are also fucking fragile.

Yes, but that fragility can't be modded into inorganics in DF.

So, instead, it's turned into a metal with similar tensile properties to diamond.

Code: [Select]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:2699480]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:5398960]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:829] Bulk modulus 442
[TENSILE_YIELD:771280]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:1542560]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:363] Young's modulus 1050
[SHEAR_YIELD:771280]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:1542560]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1101] Shear modulus 478

Those are the important bits.

As it turns out, it'd make a fucking strong metal.

I even have a reference:

http://www.ioffe.ru/SVA/NSM/Semicond/Diamond/

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 07:38:14 pm »

Which is why I kinda said fun fact instead of relevant fact.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »

Huh. The first time I've seen someone write fun normally, not !!FUN!! on the upper boards.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 07:41:52 pm »

Because it doesn't involve magma. Durrrrr.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 07:44:54 pm »

Hehe. Not all !!FUN!! involves magma. My sort of !!FUN!! involves elves, fire, and insane kittens.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 07:46:30 pm »

I see none of those around either.

(Also, I'm a massive hipster) (Except not really) (:V)

Glitch(TMG)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 01:30:43 pm »

I still like the idea of the leadercaste being adamantine if we can't invent an intermediate metal between steel and adamantine... Just so that they're -actually- a metal instead of a gem. Thematically cooler that way. :B

But eh, if I actually try the mod, I can just do that myself  :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 10:25:31 pm »

Adamantine would be too strong. Steel is very strong already, anyway. Most invaders wont be able to take those out.

I just made an automaton for my mod. If you want you can have the raws. They have cs-gas as blood (steampunky) and when they die, explode in a bright flash that renders units around it unconscious for a short time.

Same goes for landmines, turrets, golems, hydraulical fluid, any contruct, techy thing I made, feel free to have a look.

A new idea for the mod:
Add tasers.

Would use ammo that get embedded in the body a lot (have a look at the item_ammo_guns.txt in my mod) and make the ammo out of a material that melts at body temperatur. Give it a syndrome that fits a taser, like uncounciousness or pain or numbess or vomiting ^^

Add lasers.

Same as above, just with different syndromes, like blisters and pain and bleeding.

Add freezeray/heatray
Material breath attack that causes melting or frostbites. Maybe add those to a rare caste ? Or a rover ?;) (btw love the rovers)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 05:37:35 am »

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 07:23:19 am »

... sorry. somehow posted in the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:30:15 am by Carch »
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 09:41:03 am »

Well, I ment toaster.

Grow plant => put in quern => mill to flour => put in kitchen => bake to bread => put in toaster => make burned bread. Burned bread is a big, heavy blunt ammunition. Bludgeon enemies to death with dwarven bread, or use throwing buns as a terrible weapon.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 10:38:06 am »

If we're gonna use pastry, stick with cookies. I can kill several people by throwing a single one of those.

Glitch(TMG)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 11:16:32 am »

Okay. So, I've never actually tried a mod with dwarf fortress anymore. And, apparently, I don't know what I'm doing, and I fail at it.

I just can't seem to get the mod to work. Either it won't take, or the game crashes on worldgen. The download page claims that you "paste the 'raw' folder into your 'dwarf fortress' folder", but doesn't make any sense. The -actual- downloadable given is a plain folder called "automatons" with several text documents inside of it. As far as the actual Dwarf Fortress goes, there's the actual DF fodler containing the program starter, a bunch of dll files, and a folder called 'raw'. The 'raw' folder contains 'graphics' and 'objects', and 'objects' contains a bunch of text documents, some of which are named similarly--but not exactly--to the ones in the automatons folder.

So, I tried putting the automatons folder in the main DF folder, in the raw folder, and in the objects folder. I even took all the txt documents out of the automatons folder and dumped them directly alongside all the other txt documents in the objects folder. In all of these cases, the mod doesn't take. No changes are made to the game. I also renamed the 'atumatons' folder to 'raw' and replaced the real raw folder with it--that made the game crash on worldgen.

So how the heck does this work?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5