Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8102 8103 [8104] 8105 8106 ... 8157

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8814803 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121545 on: February 21, 2023, 12:32:58 pm »

My monitor died today. I tried cycling excess charges and replacing cables. The backlight would try to go to full brightness for a few seconds with a high-pitched buzz, but would give up every time. A borrowed monitor works, though. I'm guessing a blown capacitor or a busted internal PSU.

It served me faithfully for 13+ years.

On the bright side, I might finally upgrade away from VGA.

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121546 on: February 22, 2023, 02:29:38 am »

Ah life would so much easier if I were a psychopath.

I am thus reminded of a joke:

Two bits of tarmac in a pub were discussing who was the hardest.

“I’m part of the M25, four lanes of stationary traffic every day, that’s hard!”

“That’s nowt,” replied the other, “I’m mental me, M1 near Sheffield, always getting dug up, nowt harder than that!”

Just then the door opens and in walks some green tarmac. Both bits of road dive under the table, quivering.

“I thought you said you were the hardest?” said the bartender.

“It’s that green tarmac, he’s a cyclepath!”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121547 on: February 22, 2023, 08:30:07 pm »

March is gonna be a somewhat expensive month.

Car tax, car service and MOT (Alongside fixing any issues), and car insurance all due on it.

In other words, every car-based expense falls at the same time.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121548 on: February 23, 2023, 04:56:00 am »

I've got herpes. Somehow.

Hopefully it's the face kind and not the genital kind. I'm notnsure one can tell since you can have the genital kind on your face and the face kind on your genits, but it would still feel more embarrassing.

I've done a bit of reading up and now I'm amply prepared with anxieties and paranoia. Did you know that you can get herpes in your eyes? You probably didn't need to know. I probably didn't either, but now we both know.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #121549 on: February 23, 2023, 05:37:59 am »

Don't be too embarrassed. Pretty close to a supermajority of adults have some variant.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #121550 on: February 23, 2023, 07:14:34 am »

Don't be too embarrassed. Pretty close to a supermajority of adults have some variant.

https://immunityageing.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12979-017-0093-4
Results
Prevalence of HSV1 was 79.4%, HSV2 12.9%, CMV 83.2%, VZV 97.9%, and HHV6 97.5%. Herpes virus infections were more common among women (p = 0.010) and a lower age-adjusted HSV seroprevalence was found in later birth cohorts (p < 0.001). The yearly incidence of HSV infection was estimated at 14.0/1000
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121551 on: February 23, 2023, 07:49:30 am »

Yeah, I managed to get a cold sore as a 12 or 13 year old. Hardly an embarrassing thing.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121552 on: February 23, 2023, 09:10:29 am »

Isn't it impossible to kill outright though? That's what bothers me about it.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121553 on: February 23, 2023, 10:20:22 am »

Pretty much. It sits in your system the rest of your life and occasionally recurs as a cold sore or somesuch.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #121554 on: February 23, 2023, 10:29:45 am »

Yeah, mine only flares up if I'm severely under the weather, either some other sickness or a massive lack of sleep/nutrition, otherwise it's a non-issue. Hell, I think it got weaker over the years, or rather, the number of instances where it came back has reduced over time. And I don't think my health has gotten that much better over the years :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121555 on: February 23, 2023, 09:07:19 pm »

I forgot to mention this when it happened a little bit ago.

Thick44 from the Neebs Gaming crew died. I'm still feeling a bit put out by it when I see him in an old video, but as they said in the memorial video it's nice having all that time with him on Youtube that can be revisited.

I think the reason it made me feel pretty sad, aside from me having watched them all for something like 6 years, is that he sounded like he was on the road to recovery from his brain tumour.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121556 on: February 24, 2023, 05:27:03 am »

Hopefully it's the face kind and not the genital kind. I'm notnsure one can tell since you can have the genital kind on your face and the face kind on your genits, but it would still feel more embarrassing.

I've done a bit of reading up and now I'm amply prepared with anxieties and paranoia. Did you know that you can get herpes in your eyes? You probably didn't need to know. I probably didn't either, but now we both know.
So common it is nothing to be embarassed about. I seem to have still dodged it. I credit that to drinking beer from bottles instead of a glass whenever I go out to the pub. Cold washing like how they do in pubs does not kill herpes. You can get it from drinking from a 'clean' glass in the pub.

You could see it as a perk that gives you early warning if your constitution is low. Get cold sores? Herpes is telling you to take some vitamin C and some self-care, your resistance is low.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 05:29:29 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121557 on: February 25, 2023, 01:59:19 am »

You could see it as a perk that gives you early warning if your constitution is low. Get cold sores? Herpes is telling you to take some vitamin C and some self-care, your resistance is low.
That moment when you realize that Herpes isn't the enemy but a friend who tries to help you with your health but in the most embarrassing way.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #121558 on: February 25, 2023, 05:38:33 am »

No its frigging not.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121559 on: February 25, 2023, 10:25:13 am »

The most disgusting part is that I haven't kissed anyone in years so I must've gotten it by touching something touched by someone else and then touching my lips. I couldn't even catch herpes the cool way :(

Hardly an embarrassing thing.

So common it is nothing to be embarassed about.

Oh but you're wrong. Forever more must i carry this scar of depravity on my person, forever more will my kisses be deprived of the playfulness and innocence they once had, now reduced to mere messengers of disease and corruption!
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 8102 8103 [8104] 8105 8106 ... 8157