Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 65029 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.2 up!)
« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2010, 09:21:22 pm »

Also, I never realised bolts did so little damage. I mean, I knew they did "little" damage, but not that little.  :-\
Bolts aren't actually that bad. It's blowdarts that suck. Bolts are actually reasonably lucky to damage a treant, while darts have very little chance of it.

I did it again.  :-\

I meant darts.  :P
I noticed  :P It's funny how used to talking about bolts when we're speaking of players' marksmen. I bet that that'll start to change in the next version, since supposedly we're going to be able to use bows and blowguns as dwarves, but it'll probbaly take a while to break the habit.

Also, on the context of cats, cats cant use shields, and their weapons are less effective than normal weapons. But, dragons breath fire...so......but they also bleed and other bad stuff, so eh. - Could be wrong on this, never actually fought a megabeast, I usually get bored before it happens.
Yeah, cat's suck as warriors, which is why I've been reliant on architecture and markscats for defense so far. In another cat fort I had, though, I had 4 multi-legendary champions who could take out many times their number of goblins, though, and a goblin squad is typically somewhat more dangerous than the average vanilla megabeast, so I figure that those kitties at least could probably solo a megabeast. Then again, they had full layered masterwork steel cat chain+plate and masterwork or artifact steel weapons, as well as being legendary or higher in every military skill, so they had superb stats and were stupidly durable.

Also, treants dont have trapvoid, so if you get enough cage traps, you could just capture them all in the first siege or two.
I've actually dealt with a treant siege now. The siege spawned when a bunch of my cats were on the mountaintops, but treants are so slow that everybody got inside safely. Then, I just started my spikes repeating and as the treants came up they got stuff broken or mangled, then slowly died. It probably took a half-dozen hits to down them, but since I was hitting every single one of them simultaneously, it wasn't very hard to kill them. And at the end, I cancelled the spike lever and dispatched the last treant with my markscats. It only took a couple hundred darts!  ;D
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.1 up!)
« Reply #271 on: February 21, 2010, 08:16:49 am »

Greetings, Nil!
I feel sorry for those who doesn't know or don't want to know how to place the graphics and text files together so I've made this version.
Also I felt like adding most stuff I play with, so tell me if you're interested in me making some addons.

This is your 1.1 with graphics (tileset from SFE, major races from Ranting Rodent, creatures from Sphr, other things from your download):
>>> temporary unavailable. <<<
It also features:
1) Uncut/deblock mod (Metalax). You can buy only blocks/cut gems from merchants, but with this mod you can turn them in raw material for moods.
2) Economical stones (Sean Mirrsen). Every stone may be toggled on/off for constructions/craft in the "z" menu.
3) Additional creatures (Deon). Just a bunch of creatures by me, they are not gamebreaking or overly weak, various undead and fantasy beings for fun. All are playtested.
4) Stonebed mod (Deon). You can turn any stone to a bed in a smelter, in case you lack wood or want your dwarves to sleep on stones. However such bed has a low value.
5) Elfcoal mod (Deon). You can burn any wooden armor pieces/weapons to charcoal in a smelter. Way to dispose of those elven belongings with a productivity.
6) Fishing industry (Deon). A very early version of my mod, currently it just adds liver oil to some fishes (codfish[new], sharks), caviar (black caviar for sturgeon and red caviar for salmon), adds a "dwarf wedgemussel" (because I like it :D) and a codfish (for cod liver oil), plus a few more extracts from mussels and such. Not a lot but still you should be able to process your fish better and have more food products.

Also I've went through all the raws and assigned special tiles to all the vermins so birds look like birds, flies as flies etc. (they are in SFE tileset, which was modified by me because I've added a few more tiles like a tile for small mammal vermins).

These small mods almost do not alter the gameplay, just add small useful things.

Oh, I forgot to tell, it comes shipped with DF Companion, DF Tweak, Dwarf Manager, Stonesense and Spellcraft (allows to encrust magical gems into things to generate mist, turn corpses in zombies, regenerate organs etc.).

I must say that I highly enjoy your mod. Thank you very much. I hope my "edition" is ok and you'll like it, I tried hard :D.

P.S. It's on Depositfiles.com and not on DFFD intentionally, I don't want it to sound like a "mod of your mod", it's just a compilation of your mod and minor additions which help the gameplay. If you're ok with it, I can upload it on DFFD later (with you as an author).

I would like such a prepackaged thing (its lazy sunday today) but I cant seem to find a download link. Did you remove it because thats 1.1 and 1.2 is now up? Or do my eyes fail me?

Edit: Found it here on DFFD.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:21:34 am by mizipzor »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2010, 12:33:16 pm »

Got wipped out by werewolves. I did not expected them to open doors  :P

R.I.P at year 4...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2010, 01:01:05 pm »

Got wipped out by werewolves. I did not expected them to open doors  :P

R.I.P at year 4...

Drawbridge > Doors.

I have actually "almost" never used doors as a defence. I typically get a bridge up before the first year is over.  :-\
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2010, 04:35:48 pm »

First thing I do is find soil.
Second is seal a portion of above ground area for dwarven use.
--Drawbridge--!
then I get mechinisms...

then farms, smelt my tetrihedrite into a an axe and 3 crossbows with charcoal.
beds
???
FUN!
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 22, 2010, 04:23:51 am »

Well, I don't want to do that. No moat, no retractable bridge. I feel it is exploiting the game weak AI, because monsters can't fill a moat.
I only allow myself traps, locked doors and protected positions for the marksdwarves. Because in "real life" a moat would be filled if needed.

Sure I could enclose myself behind a moat, but where is the Fun if you know there is 0% chance of losing your fortress because of that. Knowing you can lose makes the game fun for me on the contrary.

My best defense would then be something like a tunnel with dozens of traps, many locked doors and marksdwarves firing from fortified positions, which can be reached by the enemy by trashing locked doors. And that's it.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 22, 2010, 07:12:22 am »

Well, I don't want to do that. No moat, no retractable bridge. I feel it is exploiting the game weak AI, because monsters can't fill a moat.
I only allow myself traps, locked doors and protected positions for the marksdwarves. Because in "real life" a moat would be filled if needed.

Sure I could enclose myself behind a moat, but where is the Fun if you know there is 0% chance of losing your fortress because of that. Knowing you can lose makes the game fun for me on the contrary.

My best defense would then be something like a tunnel with dozens of traps, many locked doors and marksdwarves firing from fortified positions, which can be reached by the enemy by trashing locked doors. And that's it.

Actually, its more like an empty moat. You get in, you cant even get out. So actually its not exploiting anything, since whose going to be able to break down a stone drawbridge? Also, your fortress easaly dies from lack of water, food, or any other necessities. The sieges just get harder and harder, so eventually your going to get ambushed with the force inside your fortress.....

Also, having marksdwarves in enclosed positions will slaughter any forces, and then you include the traps, its pretty much as safe as a closed drawbridge.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:15:40 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 22, 2010, 10:41:52 pm »

cept you can't go toe to toe with every force. After about 2 seiges with untrained dwarves I start to ache. Marksdwarves and traps. I try to make it chalenging though.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 23, 2010, 03:28:41 am »

I restarted a game, while tweaking the populations of creatures on the map, because groups of 10 batmen are really pushovers... Here they are in pack of 50+ and this can be a significant threat if you don't watch over them...

The fun thing is that my first siege, by frogmen while heading toward my fortress stumbled upon a group of 80+ skeletals/zombified antmen. Bye bye the frogmen, although they 'killed' many of the undeads :)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 23, 2010, 03:45:45 am »

I have a new version up.

Relatively minor update.  I added a few tags to give civs more unique names, tweeked some worldgen parameters, boosted megabeast power and survival (80%, and switched Treants back to an all-wrestler army (this increases their worldgen potency significantly, since it means I can drop wood_pref).  They're larger and tougher now to compensate, but I'm still playtesting so I have no idea myself if they're going to be an appropriate challenge in fortress mode.  I've already had an ogre ambush, so it shouldn't be too long before I do.

The fun thing is that my first siege, by frogmen while heading toward my fortress stumbled upon a group of 80+ skeletals/zombified antmen. Bye bye the frogmen, although they 'killed' many of the undeads :)
Ha, beastmen with wooden clubs vs. skeletal beastmen, that's a fight I would have liked to see.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:48:52 am by nil »

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.21)
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2010, 01:05:19 am »

elves are lame

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2010, 04:19:57 pm »

I have a new version up.

Relatively minor update.  I added a few tags to give civs more unique names, tweeked some worldgen parameters, boosted megabeast power and survival (80%, and switched Treants back to an all-wrestler army (this increases their worldgen potency significantly, since it means I can drop wood_pref).  They're larger and tougher now to compensate, but I'm still playtesting so I have no idea myself if they're going to be an appropriate challenge in fortress mode.  I've already had an ogre ambush, so it shouldn't be too long before I do.

Ha, beastmen with wooden clubs vs. skeletal beastmen, that's a fight I would have liked to see.

Sweet! Gonna try this asap.

Btw, you seem to have an empty "New Text Document" file under "BACKUP FILES" in your zip. Dont know if its important to you but I thought I tell you anyway (in case youre a perfectionist).  :D

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 24, 2010, 04:31:51 pm »

elves are lame
Ha, you're telling me.  For testing I embarked on a gnomish city, thinking it would save time.  I was right--all of the value in the existing city set the triggers off early.  I had elves ambushing in the first summer; if a few gnomish hoplites and skirmishers hadn't stepped up my starting seven would have been pin-cushioned.
Sweet! Gonna try this asap.

Btw, you seem to have an empty "New Text Document" file under "BACKUP FILES" in your zip. Dont know if its important to you but I thought I tell you anyway (in case youre a perfectionist).  :D
Thanks, wonder how that got in there.

By the way, I accidentally omitted the fact that megabeasts now routinely make it past year 300 in large enough numbers to not stop worldgen then.  If you use the included worldgen settings this won't be a problem (I have it set to end at 325 regardless of how many megabeasts survive) but if you're using your own settings its worth taking into account.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #283 on: February 24, 2010, 04:36:57 pm »

Its generating reeeeally slow as well. First time I thought it had frozen. But Im letting it run it course now, since I know it will stop at year 325 no matter what. Its currently at year 209. Every twenty or so years it just stops for several seconds, making Windows consider it frozen. But then starts again. What are you doing in your settings? In vanilla d18 a world is generated for me in <10 seconds. This game round better be awesome!  :P

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 24, 2010, 04:52:20 pm »

Its generating reeeeally slow as well. First time I thought it had frozen. But Im letting it run it course now, since I know it will stop at year 325 no matter what. Its currently at year 209. Every twenty or so years it just stops for several seconds, making Windows consider it frozen. But then starts again. What are you doing in your settings? In vanilla d18 a world is generated for me in <10 seconds. This game round better be awesome!  :P
Lots and lots of fighting.  Last map I generated had a huge treant civ bordering a huge dwarf civ, and every 20 years the trees would send a 400 member army to fight 250 dwarves or so; the invaders would get annihilated, the defenders would have maybe two dozen survivors.  Since almost everyone is at war with almost everyone, there's a lot of this going on during worldgen.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22