Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6680 6681 [6682] 6683 6684 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13407287 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100215 on: April 07, 2016, 08:20:24 pm »

If MS is collecting private data without permission they'll be at the receiving end of a lawsuit fairly soon.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100216 on: April 07, 2016, 08:25:32 pm »

If MS is collecting private data without permission they'll be at the receiving end of a lawsuit fairly soon.

Well nobody reads the EULA, so maybe they are doing it with permission, heh.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100217 on: April 07, 2016, 08:28:15 pm »

I've yet to read the 45 pages of the terms, but folks mentioned the August 1st update asks users to agree to data collection for services related to Cortana. So probs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100218 on: April 07, 2016, 08:29:13 pm »

But if you've disabled Cortana, doesn't that not count?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100220 on: April 07, 2016, 08:39:43 pm »

TL;DR: It looks like MS at least caches the URLs you click, a shorthand bit of data that IDs applications you run, and bounces local (on-your-harddrive) and online search terms to Bing's database. And this is with maximum possible opt-outs and privacy settings.

The start menu search has been searching online since Windows 8.1.

I'd check file search (with wireshark, and the other things you mentioned) but I have better things to do - and I have Cortana turned on anyways so I can ask her to remind me about things and so forth.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #100221 on: April 07, 2016, 09:22:30 pm »

Well nobody reads the EULA, so maybe they are doing it with permission, heh.
If you don't want to read EULAs then can I suggest the EULAlyzer? I haven't used it myself but I've seen it recommended before.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:51:30 pm by Gamedragon »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100222 on: April 07, 2016, 09:44:39 pm »

Oh cool! Clever way to combat abusive EULA agreements... I might have to try this out.

Would be ironically hip to install this without reading the agreement?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #100223 on: April 07, 2016, 10:07:50 pm »

It's been interesting to see MS's narrative on Win10 Upgrades change over time:
  • First, it was a limited time offer. "Don't miss out! Upgrade for Free for a Limited Time!"
  • Then, it was bargaining. "Why not upgrade for free still? Here's all these reasons! Also we're discontinuing support of the old OS a few years early whoops."
  • Now, it's turned to aggression. "Hey guess what, I'm just going to upgrade you unless you tell me explicitly not to. Oh, and I'm gonna make it hard to say that too."
I thought it was suspicious it was free in the first place. Now, I understand MS has a fair bit to gain, given that they're collecting and selling information the way social media does, but across the entire the OS itself. The info it collects is apparently worth more per person than the entire development of the OS, the advertising campaigns, and the PR hit they've taken for all the coercion to upgrade.

I know that I don't run a large multinational business, but maybe you guys could make a good product that doesn't make people feel vulnerable and exploited, and is an improvement over the last generation. Maybe then people would seek out the upgrade on their own, and would even be willing to pay for it!

What the heeeeeeeeelllllllll kind of information could they be selling that's worth so much? As if I wasn't already convinced to move to Linux eventually. Now I'm, uh, more convinced. Doubly convinced.

What a scummy sounding business plan.

I know Linux has a reputation for being actively antagonistic to its user unless they're an IT professional, but how much of that is just memes? If a viable alternative to Windows exists (other than Apple) I'd be happy to jump on it, but an IT professional I am not.

I'm not an IT professional nor do I have "decades of experience" in linux. Back in 2008, after losing a lot of data to a virus (I don't recall the name, but if you search my name in the Life Advice forum you might find it), I decided to move onto linux. First I dual-booted ubuntu and windows, and after a few months I removed the windows partition. I stuck with linux as my base OS until I bought my current PC in Christmas of 2014 (Alienware does not play nice with linux controllers, unfortunately). Will probably return to linux if I get a different laptop.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100224 on: April 07, 2016, 10:17:23 pm »

Certain linux distros (arch for example) can be pretty unfriendly if you just try to pick them up. But you've also got Ubuntu and Mint and co, who can be setup easily (once you get partitioning sorted out), and generally have a choice of nice uis unless you broke something, in which case you might need to look up how to fix or boot up a console.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100225 on: April 07, 2016, 10:46:06 pm »

Shit. I washed my clothes yesterday morning, hung them out on the line (probably in the early afternoon), left them for several hours before finally taking them inside sometime past midnight. I thought they were just cold to the touch from being outside, but it turns out they were still damp.

This means everything's still damp and smelling slightly gross today. Ugh. At least I didn't wash the shirt I planned on wearing tonight, but still.
Almost all of my jeans are included, as well as all my clean underwear, I'm pretty sure.

Right now I have everything laid out around my room under the fan, in the hopes of drying them enough to be wearable.
Incidentally, when I first turned the fan on (for the first time since I moved in here over a year ago) I discovered at least part of the reason  why my asthma has been playing up lately- the gusts from the fan caused a shitload of dust to take flight. The whole room was a maelstrom of dust. Dreadful.

Anyway, I'm going to go somewhere else for a while whilst the fan is on. Hopefully this works so I don't have to smell gross later.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100226 on: April 07, 2016, 10:57:29 pm »

Yikes, that sucks, Yoink. :v
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #100227 on: April 07, 2016, 10:59:54 pm »

Yikes, that sucks, Yoink. :v

No, it blows. You really can't grasp the concept of a fan, can you?

((Yes, yes, I know - fans don't blow. They sort of...waft. But it's part of the joke, so I demand some joker's license.

And also access to Gotham's water supply.))
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100228 on: April 07, 2016, 11:02:56 pm »

No water supply for you.
Sigtext

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100229 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:10 am »

Certain linux distros (arch for example) can be pretty unfriendly if you just try to pick them up. But you've also got Ubuntu and Mint and co, who can be setup easily (once you get partitioning sorted out), and generally have a choice of nice uis unless you broke something, in which case you might need to look up how to fix or boot up a console.

Honestly I think the console scares a lot of people, but really I find it quite nice. I'm running Windows 7 (probably moving to 8 later this year when I upgrade) only because a few of my favorite games are not Linux or Wine compatible, but that's changing very quickly. For work, though, I'm running a Debian server that's CLI only and it's very efficient once you put in a little while to learn it. I'm likely going to be dual booting a desktop interface for Deb when I do upgrade.

I think a big problem is people putting on their big boy britches too early and trying to jump into Arch and such.  :P My partner's been on Arch for well over a year and it still frustrates him sometimes, and he's a programmer. Jumping into Mint or Ubuntu is pretty darn easy peasy as long as you don't mind reading a lil bit.

For my wtf of the day, I cannot find lemongrass any damn where. WHY. Not even bottled/smashed/prepacked crap. I know I live in a little town, but I drove over to the next city and I still can't find any. You'd think an area close to friggin' New Orleans would have one simple not-that-rare of an herb. All I want is some tom yum, why can't I have my delicious soup?!

I'm making the boyfriend drive me to NOLA tomorrow though. I will have my soup.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.
Pages: 1 ... 6680 6681 [6682] 6683 6684 ... 10987