Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Swordworld - Etherwind (IC) Dungeon Plunging  (Read 13472 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Swordworld - Etherwind (IC) Dungeon Plunging
« on: January 28, 2024, 12:42:51 am »

Mulligan town sits on small river in a grassy valley down in the southern tip of the continent. It is not a particularly large or notable town, its only claim to fame being that it is the last town before civilization gives way to the southern frontier. While it isn't the last settlement, everything between it and the frozen southern seas can only be called a village if one is to use that term generously. Still the southern frontier was once home to the Precursors - also known as the magitech civilization - that had the technology to live comfortably even in the harshest of environments. Their ruins hide beneath the snow and ice, waiting for ambitious adventurers to plunder their treasures or hopeful homesteaders to reclaim the dilapidated buildings as their own.

This gives Mulligan town a healthy flow of adventurers flush with cash, adventurers that in turn attract merchants that deal in all of an adventurer's favorite things. Mostly this consists of weapons and booze. Despite the towns small size one can find everything one needs to dive into an ancient ruin and come back alive. Including temporary housing like the one you find yourself in. The Enchanted Ember Inn, built dwarven style as a log longhouse acting as a beer hall above dug-out rooms down the stairs into the side of a hill. It is owned by a married pair of dwarves, the copper-haired man with a hair net for both his braided beard and hair and the silver-haired wife in a faded-red dress. The husband was currently stoking a fire below a cauldron of stew larger than himself, while the wife stood behind the bar polishing thick beer glasses.

While the inn is filled to capacity, none of the current occupants are paying customers. Most rooms are occupied by refugees fleeing the Etherwind, mutated villagers who locked themselves away in their rooms unwilling to face the curious stares of the townspeople. Those occupying the beer hall rather than their rooms are adventurers - adventurers looking to stop the Etherwind (or at least who told the owners this was their goal to take advantage of the free rooms). According the the gatekeeper who directed you here, the Inn is offering free three nights in their standard room for any adventurer helping refugees or looking to stop the Etherwind, a deal they have honored upon your arrival.

Altogether there where six adventurers, making the rather large hall feel empty. There was a young Tabbit, a Runefolk who could be just about any age, two female Lykants who seem familiar with one another, a male Lykant who seems unfamiliar with the other two, and a Nightmare who is much more used to the starring then the newly mutated villagers. And this is the start of their story.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 02:35:20 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Swordworld - Etherwind (IC) Mulligan Town
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 12:53:47 am »

Stealing a couple wide-eyed glances at the other Lykans, Ethan (who is the male Lykant) edges away from them and approaches the kid with the horns, who is much less frightening. "Hey, do you like sports?"

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 03:24:38 am »

The young beige-furred Tabbit with a totally real moustache and a holstered matchlock pistol by his hip, scanned the hall. His ears twitching as he inspected the other adventurers present in the inn. His eyes lingered for a bit too long on the Nightmare before snapping back to the bar. Climbing onto a stool, the Tabbit asked.
"Missus Bartender, how has business been going so far? Additionally may I also have something sweet? Like cider perhaps?."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 04:28:10 am »

Lysia, the younger of the female Lykant pair, leaned over to the other to quietly ask. "Is this it? I thought more would try to protect people." Her hair, tied back in a ponytail by a white ribbon, shares the tan and beige shade of her tail and the fur on the outside of her pointed, swiveling ears, and her soft leather armor shows the same signs of both wear and careful steady maintanance and care as can be found on the bow she carries and the full quiver at her waist. "Don't these people look out for each other?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 08:09:02 am »

Van was rather strange as runefolk went. At first glance, it'd pass for normal but the longer you looked at it the more details you'd notice that would push it into being unsettling. There was something deeply off about it but it was difficult to put your finger on what exactly it was. The only part of it that wasn't metal was its face which it wore like an unconvincing mask, stiff and expressionless. Its appearance usually attracted far more attention than it was comfortable with but this Inn and Mulligan as a whole had more interesting people to stare at. It was something of a relief. It was also quite a relief to have a few free days of shelter at the inn, as Van's financial resources were rather depleted. Languishing unnoticed at the back of the hall was tempting, especially after all the long, hard, and fruitless journeying it had done. But it was here for a purpose and for that, it needed to know as much as it could about the Etherwind and even the other people here to combat it.

It sat on the stool next to the Tabbit with the fake mustache. Van figured the fake mustache was probably some cultural or fashion thing, both topics it understood little and often caused offense when asked about. It was probably not something for him to question.
"Greetings sir, may I politely inquire about your name? We're all adventurers out to stop the etherwind it only seems right that we should know each other. I am Van 264,"

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 11:46:41 am »

"Don't these people look out for each other?"
"Most if not all just want money and fame," said Lanith in Lycant. "Anyways, hello Van 264. I'm Lanith, and this is my friend Lysisia. We traveled all the way here from a rural village far away." Lanith felt a bit uncomfortable being around so many non-Lycanths and because of that, the ears that are somewhat hidden behind long black hair twitched a little.
she/her

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 12:04:09 pm »

The Tabbit ears perk up as he gets addressed.
"Ah yes, hello fellow adventurer Van 264! Er... Strange name that is... But I guess I never really heard another Runefolk's name before. You can call me George! Bit generic though, but I suppose after 50 or so siblings good names are rather quite hard to come by."
George takes a moment to breathe.
"Well Van, do you mind if I called you Van? Think anymore adventurers are arriving to bolster our numbers?"

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 02:34:51 pm »

The young beige-furred Tabbit with a totally real moustache and a holstered matchlock pistol by his hip, scanned the hall. His ears twitching as he inspected the other adventurers present in the inn. His eyes lingered for a bit too long on the Nightmare before snapping back to the bar. Climbing onto a stool, the Tabbit asked.
"Missus Bartender, how has business been going so far? Additionally may I also have something sweet? Like cider perhaps?."

She looks at you like you spoke in a foreign language.

"...We run an Inn. All the rooms are filled for free."

She then sighs, grabbing a mug from under the bar.

"Can ye handle dwarf cider? We got spiced cider from up north otherwise. One Gamel a mug for either. Got to make our money back somewheres."

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 02:48:50 pm »

Van's face didn't change but it inclined its head in greeting to the two Lycanths
"I am pleased to meet all of you. I hope the roads troubled you little on your way here and I hope things aren't too different from your home," Van paused a moment "Unless you want things to be different from your village?"

"And yes you may call me Van," it said turning to look at George "It is a name I've had for as long as I can remember. Though I have never met another Runefolk with a name like it. Most have family names. Perhaps I simply came out of the generator wrong. But it is a name I am very familiar with and it possibly implies at least 263 other Vans,"

"Therefore to me it is a very generic name. Whereas I have never met a George before. To me, that is an exotic and new name,"

It turned its gaze slowly to the door, its expression still unchanged. It was as if it forgot it could move the muscles of its face.
"Sadly though I think we will be as unlikely to have any new adventurers arrive as we are to meet another Van. I suspect you will be stuck with this old broken Runefolk,"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 03:06:34 pm »

While politely waiting for a response from his chosen conversational partner, Ethan decides to interject himself into the other ongoing conversation, to avoid missing out.
"Hi there. I'm Ethan. I think I caught each of your names, and it sounds like we're all here for the same reason.

By the way,
" this directed to the dwarven lady behind the bar, "I think it's crazy that you're just giving your rooms away for free. You should at least charge a nominal fee to cover your expenses. But not to me."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 03:20:32 pm »

While politely waiting for a response from his chosen conversational partner, Ethan decides to interject himself into the other ongoing conversation, to avoid missing out.
"Hi there. I'm Ethan. I think I caught each of your names, and it sounds like we're all here for the same reason.

By the way,
" this directed to the dwarven lady behind the bar, "I think it's crazy that you're just giving your rooms away for free. You should at least charge a nominal fee to cover your expenses. But not to me."

"Ain't it? Not to happy about how much money we're loosing out on, but my husband has his religion and won't budge an inch. He's a bit stubborn in the best of times. Right now I could push him in the fire and hold him there until he agrees to charge and he still wouldn't give till he was nothing but bones and ash."

She gives a second sigh.

"Calls it an investment, we'll get ten times what we spent in the afterlife he says."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 03:27:37 pm »

"Ah, one of those." Ethan nods, pretending to have worldly life experience. "Well, I can't complain, you understand, and I hope it really does pay off for you."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 05:23:14 pm »

Lysia moved with Lanith when she went to address Van, but stayed slightly behind her. She was leaving Lanith to take the lead in conversation, yet while Lanith was postured with caution, Lysia seemed mostly curious, and a little eager. She was perked up, and looking around the room, looking at the other adventurers, the refugees, the massive mixture of non-Lykanth individuals, the different clothing, the smell of the local food, and generally quite curious about her surroundings and the people in it. She felt safe as long as she could stand in the protection of Lanith's shadow.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2024, 05:27:58 pm »

Khyros discreetly (for a nightmare, anyway) orders a drink from the bar.  The weakest mead they have, preferably.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2024, 07:44:16 pm »

"I'm glad that there is no fee for sleeping in one of those rooms. I'm a little tight on money as of late," Lanith said. She lied about the last part, "as of late", but it was way simpler than saying "me and my family were always tight on money" and then having to explain where she got her equipment, the old aramid coat, the katzbalger, and the buckler from. All these things were gifts from a family friend who turned out to have stole them. "Anyways, any jobs for us adventurers to do?"
she/her
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14