Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A Tribal Game - The Guilds (turn 4, 6 more to go)  (Read 3995 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: A Tribal Game - The Guilds (turn 3)
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 12:33:12 am »

One Freemason uses the high-quality granite+ from the mines to create a mighty statue in the school's center, attracting more apprentices to learn at the prestigious university. We will show the world the virtue of a rock-solid education!
One Freemason also uses the granite+ from the mines. Working with the deft hands of a master, he constructs sturdy homes for the people to live in. In return, he asks the people and the government for land that he may work.
One Freemason starts work on a mighty fortress, made of high-quality granite+, to house the guild. He builds the first level, a huge stone foundation, which will house the Freemason dormitories. (this is different than a headquarters: it is for the guild only)
One Freemason oversees the mines' improvement, delving greedily and deep. We shall find granite the likes of which have never been seen on this earth!
One Freemason expands the mines, digging exploratory tunnels to find new resources to fund our mighty guild.
One Freemason works on granite+ crafts, generating vast quantities of +granite idol+s and *granite mug*s. He works furiously, knowing that he must produce goods to sell to the traders.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:26:17 am by Cheddarius »

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 12:49:33 am »

Granite (+) is 2x better than Granite. Granite (++) (should that ever be found), would be 3x better than Granite. Resources are currently only loosely used to determine how many masters a given area can support (if you don't have the resources, the guild will not make enough to break-even and masters will go out of business and starve or leave your guild). They may have other uses. The exact number of masters an area can support is, as of yet, undetermined.

I don't really know what resources are used for yet either :P The actions you've taken would probably give you a school (++), more people (by-product of creating homes) and wealth (assumed in this case to be in the form of land).

For this reason, I would be willing to state that to build a better building *requires* a better resource. So, in order to build a school (++) would require granite (++) OR granite (+) and any other resource OR three resources. At the same time, RP use of resources gives you bonuses, if used relevantly (example above, the by-product), penalties if used frivilously (school example from last turn, made of leather. Though interesting, I could not imagine it would last).

Resources currently give you one point each, per turn (two points for +).

I still have to figure out what a fair limit to the number of master's is, so *someone* is going to hit the soft-cap and feel it. It'll probably be a percentage.[/spoiler]

Does this answer your question?

If so, feel free to re-allocate your five other Freemasons ;)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 01:26:21 am »

Yes, thanks! Modified.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 03:44:43 am »

One master shall travel to Brechts, where he will search for precious metals in the hills.

One master shall work on improving the mining efforts used to acquire gold.

One master shall go outside the city and look for a source of paper- wood, reeds, anything to produce written works.

One master shall establish a library in the city, that the populace might grow educated, refined, and wealthy.

One master shall comport himself as a deferential snob, respectfully implying to the wealthy and powerful how peculiar it is that one so esteemed as yourself wears not a speck of gold to mark his station.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 06:47:08 am »

alrighty then. Assuming my guys are all masters now, as per the trend from the last turn.

One master in Pisani will continue to search for gemstone resources.
The other will set up a branch office in the city.

Two masters from Mitanni will head for Brechts, to do the same actions as the two above(search for resources, start branch office)

The remaining 5 in Mitanni will in order:
1. upgrade the market
2. build a large HQ
3. increase the quality and or amount of Lapis Lazuli
4. upgrade the school
5. Build a Thug academy, for personal guards, and mercenaries.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 07:13:50 am »

Three of the masters try to develop new techniques of purifying and working the iron to make new and stronger metals(pig iron and steel). One master returns to the  hematite mines to improve their efficiency. The last master, hearing of the other guilds grand building decides to build one for his, a great forge. He hopes it will help attract those that feel the true call of iron in their hearts to come and be tested at the forge.

EDIT: forgot to specify which mine.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:48:56 pm by Byrac »
"Oooh... Nice beard on that one..."
I know when you said 'beard' you were probably referring to the hair growing on the dwarf's face, but... AGH... MY EYES...!

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 12:34:20 pm »

poke...the game is still going right?
"Oooh... Nice beard on that one..."
I know when you said 'beard' you were probably referring to the hair growing on the dwarf's face, but... AGH... MY EYES...!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »

Seems we're waiting on killer. The Boners need you!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »

Yep, just waiting for the Boners.

He has until Tuesday (30th of March)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 10:04:05 pm »

One master attempts to get influence in the government of Nuwa, promising food and prosperity to all.
One master sells cheap meat
One master looks to improve butchering techniques
One master sets up a shop to sell meat from
One master breeds and butchers livestock in the same selective system
Obe master attempts to set up a school again.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 11:06:52 pm »

I have slightly reduced the amount of students a Master trains. This makes schools more valuable. it also reduces growth by... a lot. Elba was lucky with his growth rolls, which is good, because it might otherwise have been unfair to him.

Nuwa is off-limits for anyone but the Boners this turn.

Branch Offices add trade to a market place, as long as the market place is improved enough for it (level 1 can have 1 branch office, level 2 can support 2, etc...)

Fortresses add a defensive measure to a city.

Since all travel distances are 1, it is usually unimportant where the masters are at the beginning or end of a turn. If it's important, I'll note it down. Look in your own RP sections for the number of masters at the beginning of this turn. It is the number that is listed there and should be the only number in your spoiler.

I would like to calculate points later. A rough estimate for points: For every success you get 1 point. For every guild member you get 1 point. For every resource you get 1 point. I may be forgetting something, which is why I am going to calculate stuff later, once I am certain on the point calculations again.

GlassRock
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TrueForge

Freemasons

GoldCoin Guild

Boners

List of Cities (Not in original post)
Mitanni

Elba

Alpanatia

Troy

Nuwa

Pisani

Brechts

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: A Tribal Game - The Guilds (turn 4, 6 more to go)
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 11:23:21 pm »

Never mind.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:35:41 pm by Cheddarius »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 11:34:00 pm »

Awesome.

1, 2 ) Search for resources in Pisani, any useable resources.
3, 4 ) Similarly search for resources in Mitanni
5, 6 ) Search further for resources in Brechts
7 ) one Master seeks out the leaders of the GoldCoin guild in Troy and proposes a mutual assistance pact.
8 ) Builds a market in Pisani
9 ) Builds a market in Brechts
10 ) Build intellegence network hub in Mitanni
11 ) Build Theatre of the Arts in Pisani
12 ) Build a University in Mitanni
13 ) Takes up clerk activities in Mitanni, managing the school for apprentices and market for profit.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 11:46:47 pm »

What's the use of having Microcline and Granite when Granite is better? Can I use both, and the quality levels will stack?

1: Go to Elba and establish an outpost to mine Limestone
2: Go to Elba and create a beautiful school integrating both sturdy Granite and sparing amounts of bright, eye-catching Microcline
3: Go to Elba and build a mighty granite/microcline statue in the school, attracting new students
4: Mine/improve the Granite vein
5: Mine/improve the Microcline vein
6: Build Barracks in the fortress
7: Go to Troy and build an outpost to mine native gold
8: Go to Troy and set up a streamlined workshop to churn out large amounts of goods faster
9: Go to Elba and build a Granite/Microcline market, using the shiny microcline to attract customers and the sturdy, reliable granite to keep them there
Other: Offer cities the use of the fortress, for soldiers to live (in the dorms) and train (in the barracks), in return for wealth

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 07:23:31 am »

What ARE the risks of selective breeding, anyway?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4