Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651300 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The ULTRASun and ULTRAMoon Rises
« Reply #6165 on: August 25, 2017, 04:47:04 am »

UGH! My pokemon team always sucks! Why am I so attracted to my pokemon?

I need a balanced team but I just ended up going with pokemon I like: Porygon-Z, Snorlax, Salamance, Tyrantum, Blaziken, and Togekiss

Blaziken is the one I am thinking of replacing.

Anyhow I had no idea the Eevee line were actually decent. I mean I know a few were (the only one people say is Meh is Umbrion I believe... Who IMO is the coolest)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:16:13 am by Neonivek »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: August 25, 2017, 09:58:53 am »

UGH! My pokemon team always sucks! Why am I so attracted to my pokemon?

I need a balanced team but I just ended up going with pokemon I like: Porygon-Z, Snorlax, Salamance, Tyrantum, Blaziken, and Togekiss

Blaziken is the one I am thinking of replacing.

Anyhow I had no idea the Eevee line were actually decent. I mean I know a few were (the only one people say is Meh is Umbrion I believe... Who IMO is the coolest)

Sylveon is pretty good defensively, plus it can hit fairly hard with Pixilate-boosted Normal moves. I have a pretty standard defensive Sylveon; Protect/Toxic/Wish/Hyper Voice. It gets the job done, though it doesn't like physical attacks and can't deal with strong Poison types. It's considered the third best Eeveelution from an effectiveness in battle standpoint.

Umbreon is actually really good, but it's super passive. It can't do much to opponents without Foul Play, but when it's needed, Foul Play hits really hard (95 BP, gains STAB, uses target's Attack stat to deal damage rather than Umbreon's). It's a pretty decent cleric, too.

Vaporeon is also good defensively, but it suffers in that it's a bulky water type tank that isn't Alomomola, who has access to Regenerator to heal even more damage and much bulkier physical defense.

Leafeon is fairly meh. It's a hard hitter, but there's harder hitters out there. It's moderately fast, but there's faster sweepers out there. It has decent defenses, but there's tankier attackers out there.
But it's Grass type, which isn't great from a defensive point of view, and its special side is relatively unimpressive. It has a niche in the bottom tier on Smogon, but there are other Grass type attackers that outclass it.

Glaceon hits very hard with its 130 special attack, and ice is a decent type offensively, one of the best. It is also moderately bulky, so it can cope well with neutral hits. However, its movepool is shallow.

Flareon has a base 130 attack, and access to the ever amazing Flare Blitz. It thus hits quite hard indeed, especially with a Choice Band or a Life Orb. Sadly, it's incredibly slow at 65 speed, and is a poor type from a defensive point of view. It has the same issue as Glaceon where it's a hard hitter, but slow and has a shallow movepool, so it's easily predicted.

Espeon is like an Alakazam-lite. It's not as fast, not as powerful, but it's also not quite as fragile. It can do similar sets to Alakazam, but it gets a few more coverage options. Slap Specs on it and it's hilarious, or let it set up as a Calm Mind sweeper with Morning Sun to restore health. Espeon has more health and more physical defense than Alakazam, less Special Attack, Speed, and equivalent Sp.Def. It's probably the second best of the Eeveelutions.

Jolteon has been top tier from Generation 1 to Generation 5 by usage. It excels in its 130 base speed, and 110 spatk. It is frail defensively, but slap some Specs on it and watch it rip and tear through enemy teams dumb enough to switch into a choice specs Thunder. It also gets Volt Switch for pivoting, which is always a great move. It has only one viable coverage option, that being Signal Beam, which lets it get past weaker grass types. It suffered in the transition to gen 6, but it's still arguably the best Eeveelution.

Regarding your team, I don't see much of an issue there, besides overlapping weaknesses in Fighting (Porygon-Z, Snorlax, Tyrantrum); Fairy (Salamence, Tyrantrum); Ice (Salamence, Tyrantrum, Togekiss); Rock (Salamence, Togekiss); Ground (Tyrantrum, Blaziken).

Snorlax is generally pretty passive. It requires lots of time to get to work, either as a phaser with whirlwind and rest/talking to heal up, or as "curse-tank", which is predictable and not that great anymore anyway as it takes a long time to work. If you're just talking in the game's battles, it's probably a little better.

Porygon-Z hits like a fucking truck. It's so good if the opponent isn't expecting it, or has a slow team with fragile special defenses. Download is a 50:50 +1 stage boost, but for me I find Adaptability to work much better. A Choice Specs Adaptability Hyper Beam coming off a 252/31+ Porygon-Z hits obscenely hard. I use one with Tri Attack/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Hyper Beam, sometimes swapping out the specs for an Assault Vest. Sadly, it's fairly fragile, and while it's somewhat fast, it's outsped by a lot of other pokemon. There's an interesting set out there called "Ghost Z-Conversion", which makes up for a lot of Porygon-Z's shortcomings; Z-Conversion boosts all stats by +1 stage (50%), increasing Porygon-Z's serviceable speed and high spatk to even greater levels. With Shadow Ball in the first moveslot, if used first turn, Z-Conversion chooses Shadow Ball and makes PZ a ghost type, which is resisted by fairly few viable pokemon. Recover helps this set survive.

Salamence is still an amazing pokemon. It's capable of doing both special and physical offense. Its mega evolution is scarily strong, and has access to Aerilate, making any normal move Flying type with a 20% bonus (30% in gen 6). It is however 4x weak to ice, weak to Fairy, outsped by some particularly fast pokemon, and weak to Rock, making it hard to switch in in a metagame dominated by Stealth Rock. That being said, if you give it support by clearing the field of Stealth Rock, it can hit ridiculously hard. It can even support your team with Tailwind, making it a rare user of Tailwind who's also pretty strong in itself. It's fairly fragile defensively. I personally prefer a physical set with Intimidate -> Aerilate, with the moves Crunch/Facade/Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw. Facade becomes hilarious. Switch it in on a predicted Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave or Toxic, and go to town with Facade. Facade doubles in power when poisoned, burned or paralysed, and when burned Facade ignores the attack drop normally suffered. Facade is 70 base power, gets doubled to 140 by the three statuses, then gets an extra 50% from STAB, raising it to 210, then another 20% from Aerilate, becoming a base 252 power move (slightly more powerful than non-STAB Explosion and Self Destruct). It's quite funny to see people freak out when they feel like they've shut down Salamence with a burn, only to find out that it's now hitting harder than ever.

Tyrantrum wants to be good. It's got stealth rocks, dragon type, some nice moves. It's not particularly great on the defensive side, and it's weak to a lot of types. I feel like if it had just a little bit more on the offense or speed side, it'd be great, but it's too vulnerable to overlook its flaws, unlike Salamence.

Blaziken is meh with Blaze, incredibly good with Speed Boost. It's kind of a one trick pony, but it hits pretty damn hard, and has access to stuff like Sky Uppercut, Blaze Kick, and a healthy plethora of coverage moves. It's also neutral to rock, a rare thing for a Fire type, and Fire/Fighting is a great offensive typing. If it has Speed Boost, give it Protect and watch as your opponent begins to struggle. Otherwise, swap it out for something else, like a neutral fighting type.

Togekiss used to be amazing with the hilarious sets it used to have prior to confusion and paralysis' nerfing. Serene Grace Air Slash/Thunder Wave/Confuse Ray/Roost made for incredibly angry opponents, as they'd have to fight through the 50% paralysis chance to the 50% confusion chance to the i think 60% flinch chance to even get to move, making it a "death by a thousand cuts" type of pokemon. Paralysis no longer quarters speed, only halves it, and confusion is now 33% instead of 50%, making "Parafusion Flinch Hax" sets way less effective. Togekiss can still do a Nasty Plot style sweep, but it really struggles with rock types, having nothing but Aura Sphere to answer them with.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: August 25, 2017, 10:06:24 am »

Porygon-Z has Z-conversion. That move is fucking insane. It basically turns Porygon into a god-tier legendary (800 base stat total) of basically any type and STAB you want. The first time I saw someone use that move in battle I nearly shit my pants. If you're not playing Sun or Moon, then it's just a bog standard nasty plot user.

-----------

Check out this amusing rocky helmet + reflect Serperior build. It's uh... quite the thing.

And it worked too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: August 26, 2017, 02:07:47 pm »

If there is one thing that is sometimes weird to me...

Is pokemon that are balanced for level 1 but who will never appear into way later.

Semi-Legendaries TYPICALLY aren't anything special until they get to their third evolution, but you will be hard pressed to find them before you get to the levels to get their third evolution.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: August 31, 2017, 11:56:57 pm »

while trying to get a full IVs Spritzee in Pokemon Uranium i was looking at some species on Bulbapedia and suddenly found this:

Spinda's stats are 60 across the board for a total of 360. its been a long time since i played on gen 3 but had i known this before i would have added one on the team.

i mean, it sounds fairly balanced (the irony), its not as powerfull as say, Type: Null or Silvally but it gives it quite the versatility. pair that with its own tempo hability and that it can learn Thrash and i would even fear one of those things.

nice joke Game Freak. these little drunk bunnies would be a menace on the right hands.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:21:16 am by xaritscin »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: September 01, 2017, 12:11:45 am »

Don't forget Contrary.  It doesn't receive many moves to take full advantage of its hidden ability, but...hmmm, actually, forget Contrary.  It only picked up Superpower by Dream World, which has long since been shut down.  It gets pretty much nothing else to take advantage of Contrary, unless you go for some serious and rather questionably-effective shenanigans in Doubles (say, Toxic Orb and pair with a Venom Drench user with Toxic Spikes on the field: Facade spam can ensue, assuming you can survive long enough to build up boosts). 

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: September 01, 2017, 12:19:07 am »

Haaa... I hate to burst your bubble but 60 in each stat isn't a good thing. For a stat to be even considered good, it needs to be around 100. 60 is basically non-fully evolved level, except there are plenty of non-fully evolved Pokemon with better stats than Spinda.

It has the 8th worst stats for a fully evolved Pokemon in the game. Out of like 800+.

Even with STAB trash it does negligible damage at 60 attack. Not that it would live since it'd likely die in one turn due to 60 speed, 60 defenses, and 60 HP.

That being said, it's not like it's useless. Shitty stats didn't stop Pachirisu from winning the world tournament. So you'd have to take into account how weak Spinda is if you want to use it.

Also most people use contrary + superpower instead of own tempo. But I can see some use in a choice band thrash build.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: September 01, 2017, 12:35:03 am »

Don't forget Contrary.  It doesn't receive many moves to take full advantage of its hidden ability, but...hmmm, actually, forget Contrary.  It only picked up Superpower by Dream World, which has long since been shut down.  It gets pretty much nothing else to take advantage of Contrary, unless you go for some serious and rather questionably-effective shenanigans in Doubles (say, Toxic Orb and pair with a Venom Drench user with Toxic Spikes on the field: Facade spam can ensue, assuming you can survive long enough to build up boosts).

i would use it with Adamant nature, full EVs in Attack and Speed. its stats dont allow it to survive much on field so the best case i can think of is doing sweep. boosting with another pokemon then baton pass into it.

it gets STAB for double edge and thrash. the last one doesnt give confusion due to Own Tempo so you can keep on spamming it for that sweet 180 damage (not counting calculations).

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: September 01, 2017, 04:33:20 pm »

There's a Pokemon list generator here.

So I made this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I was done I realized just how much I like tanky walls.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: September 01, 2017, 04:55:49 pm »

Mienshao is a tanky wall? I'd look up the stats on Bulbapedia, but it's being a pain in the ass by putting an advert wall(for World of Tanks in my case) over the search bar. On the other hand, I did discover that Miiverse service is dying, which may affect Pokemon games. Somehow.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: September 01, 2017, 04:57:31 pm »

Mienshao is a tanky wall? I'd look up the stats on Bulbapedia, but it's being a pain in the ass by putting an advert wall(for World of Tanks in my case) over the search bar. On the other hand, I did discover that Miiverse service is dying, which may affect Pokemon games. Somehow.
It has regenerator. Pretty much that. But yeah, it's not naturally tanky.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: September 01, 2017, 05:12:47 pm »

How are we supposed to sort favorites? By battle ability? By aesthetics? The ones with the best Pokedex entries?

So confusing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: September 01, 2017, 05:29:44 pm »

How are we supposed to sort favorites? By battle ability? By aesthetics? The ones with the best Pokedex entries?

So confusing.
By type.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: September 01, 2017, 05:48:30 pm »

Ooh, neat tool!
I've still only played gen 2, so my choices were a little limited sometimes, so I took a couple liberties:
Spoiler: Mine (click to show/hide)
The only dragon I like at all is Gyrados (which isn't a dragon).  And I laughed at Alola-eggsecutor.
I don't like ice, either, but lapras is just so smug.
Meowth somehow isn't dark until Alola, despite being about dark moves, so Alola-version.
I like staryu so much that I basically picked it twice (I didn't even know it becomes psychic).  Almost did the same with graveller, but Sudowoodoo is too funny.
Ghosts are all terrible but I like the mask-one's backstory.
Steelix is because I like onix, but not as much as graveller, and I don't know any other steel ones.
Hitmonchan is cute.
And my starter was a chikorita, or a bulbasaur in GO, but tangela is my grass choice because it really helped with all the damn vaporeons in GO.  And it's cute too.

I imagine the clefable is the one someone put at Westboro Baptist named "LoveNotHate".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: September 01, 2017, 06:01:51 pm »

So confusing.
By type.
I meant "choose". Obviously everything is sorted by type.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 463