Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Toady's Ask Me Anything  (Read 4737 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Toady's Ask Me Anything
« on: March 23, 2013, 06:14:14 pm »

Toady's AMA just started and you can follow it here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1avszc/im_tarn_adams_of_bay_12_games_cocreator_of_dwarf/

Edit: And it's over! If you want to read all the answers in one place, you can do that on Toady's user page:
http://www.reddit.com/user/TarnAdams/comments/

To read the questions, click "context" under each answer. There doesn't seem to be a more convenient way.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:02:59 pm by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Toady's Ask Me Anything
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:28:21 pm »

My god, I don't know how to read that webpage effectively. This might take a while...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:52:52 pm »

Who are all these redditors complaining about this forum and I quote "circle-jerking, dumb memes and toxic attitudes if you don't want to bow to the 'in-crowd'."

Seriously? I've never seen a meme, I am not sure what we would circle jerk (magma? vampires?), and the whole reason I like it here is that almost no one is ever toxic.

Is there a parallel universe where bay 12 is awful?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:03:47 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:15:11 pm »

Who are all these redditors complaining about this forum and I quote "circle-jerking, dumb memes and toxic attitudes if you don't want to bow to the 'in-crowd'."

Seriously? I've never seen a meme, I am not sure what we would circle jerk (magma? vampires?), and the whole reason I like it here is that almost no one is ever toxic.

Actually, "circle-jerking, dumb memes and toxic attitudes if you don't want to bow to the 'in-crowd'." is a definition of Reddit itself. It's usually to be ignored, unless they bother with a proper argument for once (you know, proof and all?), then it can be analyzed.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:46:08 pm »

After being on Reddit for a year or so, I'm convinced that calling people 'circle-jerking' actually means 'I don't agree with a semi-popular opinion'. Or at least that seems to be something like 90% of its usage...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:46:16 pm »

For anyone who's familiar with these things is it better to wait for it to end before reading through?

I've never seen a meme, I am not sure what we would circle jerk (magma? vampires?), and the whole reason I like it here is that almost no one is ever toxic.

Magma as the solution for everything is pretty much a meme and there are other in-jokes. I know people from other communities, and even some within this one, get annoyed at the general response to requests for improvement or criticism of the current graphics (circle-jerk maybe?).

We've got a pretty bad reputation on somethingawful from what I understand also.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:27:51 pm »

My god, I don't know how to read that webpage effectively. This might take a while...

If you only want to read questions and Toady's answers, click on his name, sort by "new", and for each comment, there's a "context" button at the bottom.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »

Actually, "circle-jerking, dumb memes and toxic attitudes if you don't want to bow to the 'in-crowd'." is a definition of Reddit itself. the internet.
Some places are better than others. But every internet community I've seen show all these traits.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 10:27:24 pm »

Actually, "circle-jerking, dumb memes and toxic attitudes if you don't want to bow to the 'in-crowd'." is a definition of Reddit itself. the internet.
Some places are better than others. But every internet community I've seen show all these traits.

Sure, and reddit is particularly bad, but it befuddles me to hear reddits' df community bash bay12's, because...I don't know...it is like being in a McDonalds and hearing the regulars bash your favorite tiny, cheap and delicious locally owned and friendly burger joint. It just doesn't compute.

We've got a pretty bad reputation on somethingawful from what I understand also.
I had no idea somethingawful has a bone to pick with us. Seems odd given our shared history in boatmurdered.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:36:41 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 10:36:39 pm »

Thats why I pretty much ignore reddit, twitter and facebook posts (and all those other social media sites) because they either irritate me, or are stupid pictures of cats/dogs/animals doing funny(ish) things.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 02:26:39 am »

I had no idea somethingawful has a bone to pick with us. Seems odd given our shared history in boatmurdered.
I found out while playing Haven and Hearth (when goons joined and some voiced their dislike for Bay12 folk). Since then I've seen vitriol being aimed at us when linked to posts on DF and Goblin Camp. The complaints are usually about our attitude towards the GUI. When I mentioned, on here, being surprised the Goblin Camp GUI wasn't easier to use given that being a main selling point in it's preview video I got misquoted over there, though, someone did defend what I wrote by putting it in context. We do also share some members between forums.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 03:13:46 am »

If you only want to read questions and Toady's answers, click on his name, sort by "new", and for each comment, there's a "context" button at the bottom.
I had a very difficult time figuring out how to read through it until I figured this out.

If I could figure out how to quote things from that site, I would put Toady's response to my question in my sig, but that site is just way too confusing, I think DF's UI is far less confusing.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 05:04:37 am »

Would've been awesome if Toady made another FotF post as well .
But, cool to hear about AMA.

Only thing is, Reddit is godawful in terms of readibility.
I have easier time browsing through DF's menus without any tilesets. Seriously.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 05:49:53 am »

If I could figure out how to quote things from that site, I would put Toady's response to my question in my sig, but that site is just way too confusing, I think DF's UI is far less confusing.
Quote from: mastahcheese
What is Scamps doing right now?
He is stealing a lazy boy chair from somebody and licking his paw.
This was exactly what I would've asked if I had a reddit account. So, thanks for that!
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 09:31:49 am »

As far as people hating on bay 12 forums goes I've never seen it, but I've also become accustomed to everyone hating everyone else for no real reason.
Pages: [1] 2 3