Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 322236 times)

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 0.5 released!)
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2015, 02:49:10 pm »

Now, I was now able to compile it without moving any files. You have to add the SRC\SDL directory to the library directories, and the linker finds the libraries there. It is better this way, as you can use different versions of SDL in different projects.

I used Bloodshed DEV-C++, which is based on GCC. If you use Visual-C, the tutorials say, you have to directly link the SDL2.LIB and SDL2main.LIB, and I assume you have to link the SDL2mixer.LIB too. Doing this in DEC-C, the linker doesn't find the symbol winmain@16, which is something Visual-C spezific, and linking the SDL2test.LIB gives me many linker errors. Further, you have to link the PDCURSES.LIB, if you haven't already.

If you still can't compile it, you could try it with DEC-C instead of Visual-C. Further check, that you don't compile any unneeded files.

As I played it a bit, here is a bug report :
* You should update activate() in ACTIVATE.CPP. Some activities are descriped as  "will send bug reports to the dev team." (line 845), so some cases for new activities (and old activities like repairing clothing) are missing.
* The activity "Write for the Liberal Guardian" is not displayed. It however still works, if you know to press 7.
* The file FACTIONS.CPP doesn't compile, as it needs a nonexisting FACTION.H. Leaving it out, however seems to cause no problems.
* There are occasional crashes at the end of the month. After reloading, you can continue.
* There are empty senate election (by conspiracy) , there is a delay, as if the senate were elected  but no alignments are displayed.
* I got warnings, that the Mafia raids the Terra Vitae, without having anything to do with Terra Vitae or the Mafia (at least I think so)

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2015, 09:17:42 pm »

Now, I was now able to compile it without moving any files. You have to add the SRC\SDL directory to the library directories, and the linker finds the libraries there. It is better this way, as you can use different versions of SDL in different projects.

I used Bloodshed DEV-C++, which is based on GCC. If you use Visual-C, the tutorials say, you have to directly link the SDL2.LIB and SDL2main.LIB, and I assume you have to link the SDL2mixer.LIB too. Doing this in DEC-C, the linker doesn't find the symbol winmain@16, which is something Visual-C spezific, and linking the SDL2test.LIB gives me many linker errors. Further, you have to link the PDCURSES.LIB, if you haven't already.

If you still can't compile it, you could try it with DEC-C instead of Visual-C. Further check, that you don't compile any unneeded files.

As I played it a bit, here is a bug report :
* You should update activate() in ACTIVATE.CPP. Some activities are descriped as  "will send bug reports to the dev team." (line 845), so some cases for new activities (and old activities like repairing clothing) are missing.
* The activity "Write for the Liberal Guardian" is not displayed. It however still works, if you know to press 7.
* The file FACTIONS.CPP doesn't compile, as it needs a nonexisting FACTION.H. Leaving it out, however seems to cause no problems.
* There are occasional crashes at the end of the month. After reloading, you can continue.
* There are empty senate election (by conspiracy) , there is a delay, as if the senate were elected  but no alignments are displayed.
* I got warnings, that the Mafia raids the Terra Vitae, without having anything to do with Terra Vitae or the Mafia (at least I think so)

Okay, I am using gcc, which is invoked using the makefile included in the directory. Will this change what I need to do or where I need to put the SDL libraries?

Thanks for the bug reports!
-Factions.cpp is not in the makefile and so the game should compile - does your compiler try to compile everything whether it's needed or not? The file is a draft of a feature I want to incorporate into version 2.0 (player-defined factions).
-Could you tell me the exact text of the warnings about Terra Vitae and the Mafia and what you did (or didn't do) to provoke them? That will help me narrow down what is happening.

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2015, 05:32:51 pm »

In a traditional makefile, it would be in the linker command, but here you should put it into the LIBS.
The makefile from DEV-C contains that line :
LIBS =  -L"F:/DEVC/lib" -L"F:/terravitae0.5/src/sdl" pdcurses/pdcurses.lib -lmingw32 -lSDL2main -lSDL2 -lSDL2_mixer  -g3
The bolt text is for SDL, the other things (except curses) are compiler specific.
Your makefile has a LIBS variable, too, so it should go to the linker, if you put it there.
---
I didn't know there is a working makefile, so I added all files, and deleted those that donÄt compile, as usual, thought the FACTIONS.CPP looked important at first.

The message was "You have received an anonymous tip, that the Mafia is planing to attack Vivian Pines house." It was just a random message, that poped up while I was waiting. Now even I got a message, that conservatives have raided it, and nobody was there. I offended only the corporations in this game, but had nothing to do with the Mafia or Terra Vitae.

In SIEGE.CPP, line 1511, the conditions for a raid are checked. Probably contracted_mafia was set. There seems to be no check, whom they can attack. Other raids check the variable numpres, the heat or other variables, so the mafia seems to be able to attack any location, as the functions loops through any location. I wondering, if they can attack everything, like Sweatshop, Vegan Coop and so. If you have a sleeper, you should be spammed with such warnings. I am still not sure what offended them and why nobody was there. As you are using the offended_... flags as counters, and increase and decrease them in some places, maybe, you should check if they go negative.

---
Something else:
SIEGE.CPP, line 133
Code: [Select]
   if (law[LAW_SUPERHUMANS] == 0)
   {
      offended_superheroes = 0;
      offended_supercriminals = 0;
   }

Is this supposed to be ==, not >= or <= ? They can't raid you, if the law is moderate, but they can raid you on both extremes ?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2015, 08:45:42 pm »

In a traditional makefile, it would be in the linker command, but here you should put it into the LIBS.
The makefile from DEV-C contains that line :
LIBS =  -L"F:/DEVC/lib" -L"F:/terravitae0.5/src/sdl" pdcurses/pdcurses.lib -lmingw32 -lSDL2main -lSDL2 -lSDL2_mixer  -g3
The bolt text is for SDL, the other things (except curses) are compiler specific.
Your makefile has a LIBS variable, too, so it should go to the linker, if you put it there.

Still not sure I understand, as I still don't recognize the format of a gcc makefile. It has a LIBS command, but I don't recall it looking like that. Maybe when I try out SDL I will understand.

The message was "You have received an anonymous tip, that the Mafia is planing to attack Vivian Pines house." It was just a random message, that poped up while I was waiting. Now even I got a message, that conservatives have raided it, and nobody was there. I offended only the corporations in this game, but had nothing to do with the Mafia or Terra Vitae.

Aha! That's not a bug.

Terra Vitae has enemies of its own independent of those of the Liberal Crime Squad, and these include the CIA, and they can contract the Mafia to attack them. Occasionally, as with corporate raids, it is possible for the LCS to get an anonymous tip of upcoming Mafia raids, even if the LCS has no sleepers. What this means is that the Mafia raided Terra Vitae (specifically, Vivian Pines' house) for reasons unreleated to you, the LCS, but you did through your criminal network hear about it.

I may want to edit the messages you get if you don't control the safehouse just to avoid confusion.

if (law[LAW_SUPERHUMANS] == 0)
   {
      offended_superheroes = 0;
      offended_supercriminals = 0;
   }

Is this supposed to be ==, not >= or <= ? They can't raid you, if the law is moderate, but they can raid you on both extremes ?
[/quote]

That is correct. When laws are moderate, the world degrades toward realisim, including, among other things, an absence of super-powered crimefighters and criminals.

This will change with the next edition, because once the NEC is exposed, the supers will show up even if laws are moderate.

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2015, 03:04:24 pm »

Your makefile has this command:
LIBS = -lncurses /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylibChanging it to :
LIBS = -lncurses /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib -L"src/sdl" -lmingw32 -lSDL2main -lSDL2 -lSDL2_mixermight work.

Also, try different permutataions with or without quotes, or with a full path.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2015, 05:09:35 pm »

I am hard at work making version 1.0 (at long last!). I plan on fixing the bugs observed in version 0.5, and this new version will focus on adding the full-blown supervillains to the game, as well as provide the alternate win condition of defeating the NEC.

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2015, 10:39:59 am »

you are doing gods work, I am looking forward to it

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2015, 11:12:44 am »

Hopefully some time in January. I'm on hold again until this semester's teaching load finally comes to an end.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2015, 01:31:32 pm »

Did anything ever come of trying to make a windows version?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2015, 03:45:50 pm »

Did anything ever come of trying to make a windows version?

Purple Gorilla made one, I believe, but don't know where it is currently posted. I haven't installed SDL yet, so I am unsure, but I will try to do it as soon as I have version 1.0 ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 31, 2015, 10:16:13 am »

Bride - the bride at a wedding. Appears in church and in church sieges. Wears an expensive suit and usually has seduction skill. Conservative.
Groom - the groom at a wedding. Appears in church and in church sieges. Wears an expensive suit and usually has seduction skill. Conservative.

I can't help but feel that because people who get married are conservative (meaning this version of Liberals are Anti-religion secular paradise as opposed to separated church and state freedom of religion secular paradise) that they should absolutely not have any seduction skill.

They should be the typical stereotype of married couples who still don't know how the reproductive system works :P

Ramidel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2015, 11:51:09 am »

Bride - the bride at a wedding. Appears in church and in church sieges. Wears an expensive suit and usually has seduction skill. Conservative.
Groom - the groom at a wedding. Appears in church and in church sieges. Wears an expensive suit and usually has seduction skill. Conservative.

I can't help but feel that because people who get married are conservative (meaning this version of Liberals are Anti-religion secular paradise as opposed to separated church and state freedom of religion secular paradise) that they should absolutely not have any seduction skill.

They should be the typical stereotype of married couples who still don't know how the reproductive system works :P

More to the point, if they're just married, then they saved themselves for marriage like good Conservatives. Once married, conservatives are very much in favor of "goodsex," as 1984 put it.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2015, 01:41:45 pm »

Excellent idea - I will probably change that!

The reason that I had were that wedding clothes tend to be made to have both the people getting married as well as the others around them (best man, maids in waiting) look very attractive.

As for LCS liberals and their opinion on marriage, check out the Terra Vitae spouses. TV isn't the LCS, but TV definitely supports the "swing marriage" idea.

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2016, 10:13:31 pm »

Not sure if this is already implemented(And I haven't been able to try TV), but the violence strategy(AKA "Keep shooting up the police station to prevent Heat gain, then shoot up everything else for a few years) should be somewhat nerfed in TV, because it's way too OP in regular LCS once you get a squad of six badasses with AR15s/M4 Carbines capable of mass murder. Shooting up the police station should no longer mean you don't gain heat any more.

dpfarce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2016, 11:42:05 pm »

Hi guys, been looking at this mod for a while and have to say that I'm very interested :)

But being the computer illiterate idiot I am, I have tried and failed repeatedly to compile the source code into a working exe...I think I may have even managed to launch a drone into space in the process, however.

Could I politely ask for a .exe here?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 57