Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 722046 times)

Socharis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New release!
« Reply #795 on: October 07, 2013, 10:22:25 pm »

Pretty sure any limit that was there before is gone now.

Hmm.  The latest DFHack version has a binary that was last modified 3/14/2013, and that one doesn't seem to grow any larger than 100 tiles.  Is there a different, more recent one I should be using instead?

Socharis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 07, 2013, 11:01:11 pm »

I took a look at the stonesense source code, and it looks like these lines are preventing it from breaching 100 (Config.cpp):

if( line.find("[SEGMENTSIZE_XY") != -1) {
        int value = parseIntFromLine( "SEGMENTSIZE_XY", line );
        if(value < 1) {
            value = DEFAULT_SEGMENTSIZE;
        }
        if(value > 100) {
            value = 100;
        }
        //plus 2 to allow edge readings
        ssState.SegmentSize.x = value+2;
        ssState.SegmentSize.y = value+2;
    }

I may just try building my own version without this limit, since I assume it was put there for a reason.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 08, 2013, 07:03:54 am »

Oh, that. If there's a reason for that, I don't know what it is. Feel free to remove it, and I'll remove it for the next version, sorry.

Socharis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 08, 2013, 10:58:41 am »

No problem!

I was able to get a render of my full embark site after removing it, which was cool.  It started to grind, as you might expect with so many tiles on the screen, but it worked well enough.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 08, 2013, 11:47:40 am »

Full embark is CTRL+F5, actually. and all Z levels is ctrl+shift+F5.

Socharis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 08, 2013, 04:19:31 pm »

Ah, excellent!  The screen shots are nice (and that explains how people were able to get full embark shots!), but I also like watching the embark site update in real-ish time with the larger viewport.

Thanks again!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 10, 2013, 05:30:42 am »

Caldifr - any progress on the overlay, or estimates of when it might be done?  I'm only impatient because it looked so awesome...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 13, 2013, 03:15:22 am »

Caldifr - any progress on the overlay, or estimates of when it might be done?  I'm only impatient because it looked so awesome...

Well, the overlay itself is finished (at least the software-mode, which is the first step).  I'm a bit stuck trying to figure out how to display selection areas though.  Without the ability for stonesense to show you what room/plot/designation/burrow you've got selected, the game is unfortunately unplayable (unless you really know what you're doing, in which case it doesn't really fit the plan for this to be a "newbie-style-interface").  I don't actually know how much of that information dfhack already has figured out, so it's hard to give an actual time estimate. 

I know that's not too satisfying an answer, but I'll try to post updates when I know more :)
where is up?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 13, 2013, 05:08:42 am »

Is the display issue that there's no art to display, or that the data on where to display it isn't there? (or both?).  Even if it's not newbie-ready yet, I'd imagine that an expert-playable alpha version could seriously encourage people to work on the missing parts through dfhack or whatever else it takes.  If it could be toggled on and off reasonably easily it could also work well just as a less immersion-breaking visualiser (particularly in fullscreen) even for newbies.  I have to admit that I'm coming up with reasons for this to release early - maybe it should have a proof of concept out before DF2013?  Perhaps knowing exactly what capabilities need to be added to dfhack for <next version> would ease development?  Many friends have sworn to start playing if a project like this becomes available, and I want to see the look on their faces...  More seriously, I wouldn't announce this in the LNP yet, but I would love to play with it and give some feedback. 

Do whatever seems best to you; the updates are great (thanks!); and I'll wait however long it is...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 13, 2013, 05:44:42 am »

Well, the overlay itself is finished (at least the software-mode, which is the first step).  I'm a bit stuck trying to figure out how to display selection areas though.  Without the ability for stonesense to show you what room/plot/designation/burrow you've got selected, the game is unfortunately unplayable (unless you really know what you're doing, in which case it doesn't really fit the plan for this to be a "newbie-style-interface").  I don't actually know how much of that information dfhack already has figured out, so it's hard to give an actual time estimate. 

I know that's not too satisfying an answer, but I'll try to post updates when I know more :)

Code: [Select]
df::global::selection_rect->start_x
df::global::selection_rect->start_y
df::global::selection_rect->start_z;

Everything between that and the cursor is the selection rectangle. Courtesy Angavrilov.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 21, 2013, 12:47:32 am »

Code: [Select]
df::global::selection_rect->start_x
df::global::selection_rect->start_y
df::global::selection_rect->start_z;

Everything between that and the cursor is the selection rectangle. Courtesy Angavrilov.

OK I saw that before but for some reason I thought it wasn't working although clearly it does.  Have a basic display working now (and an idea for a good way to show more clearly). 

I know where the designations are stored, so displaying those are the next thing on the list. 

Still need to figure out room/plot selections and building/construction cursors.  There would still be burrows and a few other loose ends (like displaying text that should be drawn over the screen) but those are the necessities for the game to be playable without constantly having to switch the overlay off to see what the heck you're doing. 
where is up?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 21, 2013, 12:50:30 am »

There is a way to tell what building is currently selected, and from there it's a simple matter of displaying the room coverage. There's already something similar in use for stockpiles and farm plots.

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 21, 2013, 02:49:53 am »

its working now, maybe because i embarked on a flat area

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 21, 2013, 04:46:41 pm »

Hi guys, I have a question. Eltrion is configuring stonesense for a pony mod. It more or less already works, but how do you add clothes to the xml file? Let's assume there are armour and helmet sprites for now. Currently there is a script that generates a 700 kB xml for hundreds of castes. Would adding worn equipment cause a combinatorial explosion of rules? Is there a manual for writing variants? It may be better if you answer in the linked thread.

Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 27, 2013, 05:32:04 pm »

Let's say someone wants to adjust stonesense to some mod. Is there a script to detect any potential problems between the RAWs and xmls or is the red text when I start stonesense all there is? If there is a tool that would at least list all the creatures without sprites (without those creatures being present in-game), that would be useful.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:35:46 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 85