Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3748675 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3090 on: August 25, 2012, 02:23:29 pm »

Boogeymen make sense... perfectly.

They arn't creatures in the traditional sense anyhow. They are more akin to a force of nature being near mindless with their only motivation being destruction.

Also Novel my favorite name for Boogeymen is: Magic Kungfu Babies

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: August 25, 2012, 02:39:29 pm »

:L. It's just that in a medieval fantasy setting, its not advised to go out alone, but it's not a guaranteed assault, as it is now. This is of course repealed if i get to be a ghostbuster in said setting :P.

When will there be more interaction with ghosts, including Ghostbusters :P
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: August 25, 2012, 03:31:48 pm »

:L. It's just that in a medieval fantasy setting, its not advised to go out alone, but it's not a guaranteed assault, as it is now. This is of course repealed if i get to be a ghostbuster in said setting :P.

When will there be more interaction with ghosts, including Ghostbusters :P

I think so, if this ThreeToe story is anything to go off of.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: August 26, 2012, 09:53:42 pm »

I would like it if the bogeymen were more distict, with their own names like the way other night creatures do, only you would have the same few bogeymen attack you over and over, regardless of how many times you killed them. Right now they're just nameless forms, maybe that's intentional so as too make them more creepy, but I like being able to recognize different enemies. Maybe different bogeymen for different regions, i think that would be cool.

Also, will bogeymen ever start attacking and killing people in worldgen? Right now everyone seems to be smart enough to stay inside every night.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3094 on: August 27, 2012, 06:27:58 am »

I found boggeymen really weird feature when considering gamey-game design.

Usually, person would be punished by something like this for having too big follower party to discourage zerging megabeasts with expendable targets.

Here, you are punished for being vulnerable - as you would likely be alone because you just started, so you are also untrained and underequipped.

Why?

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: August 27, 2012, 07:38:12 am »

Boogeymen were placed in adventure mode when there was very little to do in adventure mode. While I can only speculate, it seems that an infinitely respawning enemy that makes one have a daily goal is perfect for a mode lacking content. They are likely a temporary solution as they are now, and they will more than likely be removed or modified to a more reasonable form when adventure mode gets the content that the next series of updates promises.

So let's please focus on those updates for the time being, rather than a possible placeholder creature that is intentionally removable.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: August 27, 2012, 07:45:32 am »

Boogeymen were placed in adventure mode when there was very little to do in adventure mode. While I can only speculate, it seems that an infinitely respawning enemy that makes one have a daily goal is perfect for a mode lacking content. They are likely a temporary solution as they are now, and they will more than likely be removed or modified to a more reasonable form when adventure mode gets the content that the next series of updates promises.

So let's please focus on those updates for the time being, rather than a possible placeholder creature that is intentionally removable.
Night creatures are no placeholders >:C they just lack stuff that is coming soon
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: August 27, 2012, 07:46:32 am »

Bogeymen are partly incentive to get followers, but I think the main motivation of adding them was to make the night scary. In 40d, you could just run around all over the map all the time, and the day-night cycle was basically useless.

When bogeymen were added, you had to make decisions about travel routes and timing. Also, they encourage you to get followers and to help them survive. Of course, this is mostly relevant for the early game, when you're too weak to fight the bogeymen and too unpopular to get a large group of companions.

To be honest, I like bogeymen. I try to avoid them, but they make for some really intense moments when all companions died at the last bandit camp, the next castle isn't in sight and you're getting surprised by nightfall.

Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: August 27, 2012, 08:57:34 am »

(...) So let's please focus on those updates for the time being, rather than a possible placeholder creature that is intentionally removable.

Amen.

And now, it's Devlog Time.

Quote from: Toady One
In adventure mode, it now gives you a breakdown of your situation in the opening paragraph instead of the generic paragraph, and there's an indication of what you are getting into for each civiliations, to the extent that there are such things right now. It also gets some balls rolling right after world generation but before your first game so that the world doesn't start in a weird pre-active state.

Could this mean that there's an intention to change the Fortress' beginning paragraph as well? Or it wouldn't be that relevant in the next release?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #3099 on: August 27, 2012, 09:58:40 am »

Bogeymen are partly incentive to get followers, but I think the main motivation of adding them was to make the night scary. In 40d, you could just run around all over the map all the time, and the day-night cycle was basically useless.

When bogeymen were added, you had to make decisions about travel routes and timing. Also, they encourage you to get followers and to help them survive. Of course, this is mostly relevant for the early game, when you're too weak to fight the bogeymen and too unpopular to get a large group of companions.

To be honest, I like bogeymen. I try to avoid them, but they make for some really intense moments when all companions died at the last bandit camp, the next castle isn't in sight and you're getting surprised by nightfall.

yea but bogymen do make it anoying if you want to brave the wilds by yourself without all the companions getting all the kills. Maybe you could make a campfire to keep them away or something like that.

(...) So let's please focus on those updates for the time being, rather than a possible placeholder creature that is intentionally removable.

Amen.

And now, it's Devlog Time.

umm yea srry bout that.

so does "getting some balls rolling"? mean that there are going to be a greater number of historic figures? or all sites will be an entity? im assuming that "the rolling balls" are each a story. how will a story worthy of "playable" be determined, or how will a story be defined?

So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: August 27, 2012, 10:46:30 am »

so does "getting some balls rolling"? mean that there are going to be a greater number of historic figures? or all sites will be an entity? im assuming that "the rolling balls" are each a story.

I thought it might be Katamari Damacy meets DF...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: August 27, 2012, 10:51:49 am »

Could this mean that there's an intention to change the Fortress' beginning paragraph as well? Or it wouldn't be that relevant in the next release?

Hey, the Fortress' beginning paragraph already has a great deal of depth. Ere the dingoes/cheetahs/wolves get hungry, remember? =p But it would be cool to see more background in all of the setting text. I know it only shows up once, but it felt really cool when I noticed that the setting paragraph for Fortress mode actually accounted for what predator was the most likely to eviscerate your dwarves.

so does "getting some balls rolling"? mean that there are going to be a greater number of historic figures? or all sites will be an entity? im assuming that "the rolling balls" are each a story. how will a story worthy of "playable" be determined, or how will a story be defined?

When he was talking about balls rolling I'm fairly sure he was referring to the newly added moving groups. It would have been kinda weird to jump into a game and have everyone just starting out despite the world having supposedly been in motion for a bit. At least that's my understanding of it. As for the playable stories I'm not sure if he's actually making a story as much as he's giving you the setting you are in at this point. My guess is as good as yours when it comes to this, but I'm thinking it's going to be "Your civilization is X, it is at war with Y and Z. Nearby towns have been raided by Y. Z has been at war with somebody else and no battles have been had with them recently." Hopefully it's a little more in depth, but we have to remember it's all about baby steps. No point in designing an elegant system to give you a back story in adventure mode when you can't even hit someone over the head with a chair while drunk in an inn :P
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: August 27, 2012, 12:53:36 pm »

By getting some balls rolling, I'm hoping this also means that group movements were tracked and filled in their proper places, It would be kinda weird if when you firsty started, there were no tracks on the ground, and the ground was clean, as if everyone has to stay inside for a month as the world finalizes.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: August 27, 2012, 01:06:53 pm »

From my understanding based on your recent reply, tracking the activities of entities outside your fortress or adventure will be a more-or-less constant process. What sort of performance hit should we be expecting from this, now and in the future?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: August 27, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »

yea but bogymen do make it anoying if you want to brave the wilds by yourself without all the companions getting all the kills.

It is worse if you happen to be in an area where you have to ford a lot of rivers. Since companions won't be able to keep up.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 748