Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3744339 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7440 on: September 08, 2013, 12:04:49 pm »

Okay, so here's my question:

Regarding the new moving army feature, how does the large-scale pathfinding will work? Will the game consider the local terrain features too, or it will just ignore all obstacles (and distances) like merchants do in the current version?
I would like to know will it be possible to build 'The Great Dwarven Wall' with connecting walls between adjacent sites, and locking the fun outside the dwarven territory.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry if I asked a previously answered question.
Armies do not path through player made fortresses. Not yet at least. So you could build that "great wall" simply by repeatedly embarking and abandoning adjacent fortresses.

And to my knowledge local terrain features do not influence troop movements, because that would be too resource intensive. Local terrain features aren't loaded unless the player is there. That is why player made fortresses need special considerations and why armies avoid them for now.

EDIT: Large scale terrain should work though. Armies on an island would be unable to reach another island for example.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:16:29 pm by Parisbre56 »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: September 08, 2013, 12:25:35 pm »

Check the main page. It's the link that says @Bay12Games.
Well damn, how long has that been there?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: September 08, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »

Check the main page. It's the link that says @Bay12Games.
Well damn, how long has that been there?

6 days to a week. The oldest entry is from the 2nd September.

Toady will we have trees (oasis) at places that are particularly dry but have Aquivers (like the Tree of Ténéré)?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dapper Clapper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: September 08, 2013, 01:12:56 pm »

Now that there are less-than-lethal forms of combat, will adventurers be given quests along the lines of "Beat the snot out of my annoying neighbor", or "A drunkard is terrorizing the locals, go teach him a lesson"? Perhaps even "Capture the outlaw alive, and return him here so he may be brought to justice"?  Also, what different levels of combat are planned for the next release?

edit:

On the topic of non-lethal combat, will there be weapons designed specifically for non-lethal altercations? For example, a sap or blackjack meant to render an opponent unconscious.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:26:11 pm by Dapper Clapper »

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: September 08, 2013, 03:02:09 pm »

No wonder population growth was so slow back then- nine months would have been much more time with fewer months in the year!
From what that wiki article mentioned, it seems they had days that weren't part of any month but were still there, so it seems they weren't that much longer.

Not at all, in fact - many of them were 29 days.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: September 08, 2013, 05:28:20 pm »

In future releases, can we still get things like the Elf King of the Dwarves, or are those things of the past?

I just think things where you occasionally get a king/queen of an alternate species as a ruler of a civ is something that should stay a part of DF.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: September 08, 2013, 06:11:25 pm »

In future releases, can we still get things like the Elf King of the Dwarves, or are those things of the past?

I just think things where you occasionally get a king/queen of an alternate species as a ruler of a civ is something that should stay a part of DF.

Yes, those kind of things will keep on happening. The entity claims might allow for even more interesting stuff as time goes by. Multirracial forts have been discussed by Toady and they'll likely happen as the Tavern Arc unfolds, and that framework would not ignore taverns in other, non-playable sites.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: September 08, 2013, 10:44:00 pm »

Quote from: toady
I also messed around with the new personalities a bit and taught the new dwarven brain how to stand up again, which has been an ongoing issue.

Quote from: toady
(06/15/2012) Entering a state of terror or being in a state of terror for a while also works as a stressor that can have longer-term personality changes/effects (which'll also be the rewrite for dwarf-mode happiness/tantrums etc. as we re-interpret the various stressors in the thought list there)

This is very interesting and something I have completely forgotten about. 

So are we still having a personality re-write for this update? How will the long-term personality changes affect how the dwarves act in-game? I wonder if we'll have to start retiering soldiers that have had one too many morale failures...  will post-traumatic stress disorders be a thing? Also, how exactly will you re-interpret the various stressers, assuming this won't simple mean changing the values around the current system? 

I mean, the fact that you can have a dwarf remain "estactic" because he's eaten a legendary meal in a legendary dining room even though he just lost a close family member to tragedy seems wrong, but just changing the numbers would make tantrum spirals an even bigger problem in the current system. I wonder how this could be balanced. Can't wait to see what happens in this next release...

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: September 08, 2013, 11:01:15 pm »

It'll probably be less likely with this release, because Toady made succession less random, so it should actually make the son of a kind more likely to be monarch, instead of a random civilian.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: September 09, 2013, 02:30:45 am »

It'll probably be less likely with this release, because Toady made succession less random, so it should actually make the son of a kind more likely to be monarch, instead of a random civilian.

I understand. it makes me think then about other things like will there be arranged marriages between nobles of different civs sometimes depending on the circumstances?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:35:37 am by Zavvnao »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: September 09, 2013, 02:48:28 am »

I understand. it makes me think then about other things like will there be arranged marriages between nobles of different civs sometimes depending on the circumstances?
If you mean "sometimes" as in ever, then yeah that's planned. If you mean in the upcoming release, that would require some pretty substantial systems that Toady hasn't said anything about, so almost certainly not.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: September 09, 2013, 09:05:34 am »

Though if the king has no living descendants or relatives (as might be the case with vampires), someone will have to come to power. Instead of a random civillian, it should be more likely that someone in the nobility would rise to power.

Also, right now, in history mode, the game only seems to consider the children of the king, at least I've never seen anything saying that so and so inherited the throne from their grandfather/mother.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: September 09, 2013, 04:54:27 pm »

...At risk of being suggestiony, I think right now simply letting us change the priority system's weights so things like cleaning don't have to always be apparently lower priority than idling would be sufficient to alleviate most of the complaints I've heard about the current priority system...

My issue with this is that before, people were complaining that dwarves all rush out to pick socks. Then last version (or recently anyway, I forget) Toady made it so one dwarf would take a bin, go out and pick the bin full of clothes, then take it back. Granted, it doesn't work ideally, but he gave us the STORE_DIST_ settings in d_init to fiddle with to find an "optimal" balance. Yet as far as I know, little to no SCIENCE has been done on that.

Likewise, pathfinding being heavy gets a lot of attention, but the PATH_COST setting probably doesn't get enough. So yea, giving the community the tools to adjust game behaviour like pathing, item storing or job priorities isn't always a magic bullet that solves everything. I'm all for having less stuff be hardcoded and be in the raws instead, but not all the stuff that's already modifiable gets the attention it deserves, either.

Okay, so here's my question:

Regarding the new moving army feature, how does the large-scale pathfinding will work? Will the game consider the local terrain features too, or it will just ignore all obstacles (and distances) like merchants do in the current version?
I would like to know will it be possible to build 'The Great Dwarven Wall' with connecting walls between adjacent sites, and locking the fun outside the dwarven territory.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry if I asked a previously answered question.
Armies do not path through player made fortresses. Not yet at least. So you could build that "great wall" simply by repeatedly embarking and abandoning adjacent fortresses.

And to my knowledge local terrain features do not influence troop movements, because that would be too resource intensive. Local terrain features aren't loaded unless the player is there. That is why player made fortresses need special considerations and why armies avoid them for now.

EDIT: Large scale terrain should work though. Armies on an island would be unable to reach another island for example.

What about the opposite: building (or obsidian-casting) bridges to islands, either with 1 or multiple embarks? I suppose access is checked only at world-creation, if civs don't build roads after world-gen (or has there been news that they would in the next version, as part of bringing the post-worldgen world to life). And if armies continue to not path through player-made fortresses, I guess the point is moot. Building bridge-forts and retiring them would still be great for adventurers, of course.

The "simple" way of handling road-building etc. by the player would seem to me to be to check for paved roads when the "retire" command is given, then check which map edges they access, and fill in the world map based off that.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: September 09, 2013, 06:13:06 pm »

Might as well ask.

Is there any plans with the old tree code? Perhaps create bushes and larger bamboo, for instance? Would the woodier of bushes and bamboo be able to be harvested for things like charcoal (and in bamboo's case, construction)?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: September 09, 2013, 06:13:48 pm »

Ninth before January and February were added, yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_calendar , if it's of any real interest - although it didn't have anything to do with the roman emperors for whom July and August are named, which is what I assumed. I knew two were added, just not which two. Ah well, I suppose that'll just serve as a reminder to actually check things before saying them, from time to time  :)

Actually the new year remained in March (I think), rather than January even after January was added. This made September the 7th month, December the 10th month, and February the 12th month, etc.

Advice: people ask questions on the twitter feed, and they get them answered quite quickly. It looks like the Bay12Games twitter feed is the new best place to get questions answered and find out what is going on.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:18:55 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 748