Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 152976 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone - Online Warcraft TCG in Open Beta
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2014, 11:36:21 am »

I probably would have picked the mana wraith anyway, especially with an innervate already chosen to bully my way out of the mana restrictions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2014, 05:15:34 am »

You know I have been thinking about Harvest Golem, ranked number 3 neutral common, and why I don't think it is as good as it is made out to be. Firstly it isn't a 4/4 worth of stats, it is a 2/4 worth. While with something like Silver Hand Knight where you have 6 damage on the board, Harvest only ever provides two at a time. Also, it isn't even a 2/4 worth, but rather a 2/3 with divine shield, although slightly different. Normally a divine shield minion means you treat it in two phases, the 'ping' phase where you just try to do minimal damage, and the real phase where you try to actually kill it off. Harvest golem works in reverse, where you try to kill ff its main phase and then ping, but in the end the effect is much the same. A 2/3 with divine shield for 3 mana is still a decent card, but not as good as the 4/4 for 3 some people treat it as.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2014, 07:33:04 am »

It's easily one of the best cards for holding board advantage.

Let's assume you are looking at it using the common arena assessment; you get the card without anything else on your side of the board, without any other specific cards (so no certain combos or follow up), on any turn you could play it (but with emphasis on the first one).

The main scenario where it's strong is, well, that. You get a Harvest Golem to play onto your empty board at the start of turn three (or coin into on turn 2) and it's more likely you will get a body left on the board going into turn 4 than with any other 3 health minion or 3-drop in general. It is also good when playing against late game AOE to have something left on the board that requires some extra resources beyond the first spell. Against turn 4 consecrates or turn 7 flamestrikes that can be a significant advantage.

Looking at all neutral common 3 drops this becomes even more obvious.
The Jungle Panther's stealth means it will likely survive the turn, but then it's only likely to trade 1-1 and any 2 attack 1-3-drop will be able to clean it up. A halfway awake opponent can play around it and deny it the option of trading up (unlike a charge minion) or hit it with AOE (plays right into a turn 4 or 5 consecrate). It actually gets better late game, assuming they don't have that AOE to waste on it, when it's more likely to trade up so long as you can survive the turn and they can't drop a taunt in its way.
Razorfen Hunter gives you an extra body straight up, but only at a 1/1 (unlikely to trade up, likely to be pinged, potentially lets them enrage a minion) and more vulnerable to AOE cleaning both of them off the board.
Scarlet Crusader is really nice, but if they clear her on their turn the odds are they can do it more efficiently than clearing a Golem. Any two 1 damage hits kill her, compared to a 3 and a 1 for the Golem, so unless playing onto a board where they will have to trade down to deal with her you would get better value from the Golem.
Shattered Sun Cleric comes close to being more valuable, but needs to have another minion on the board to be effective. It's painful to play her out as a 3/2 3-drop if you aren't getting that buff. Ironically running her alongside the Golem means you are more likely to always have a buff target.

As for why it ranks so highly overall, 3-drops are generally valuable. Given the way most decks build their mana curve you would expect people to value 3-4-drops most highly. Looking at Trump's rating you see the two most powerful common neutral 4-drops, then the two most powerful common neutral 3-drops. I'd almost reverse this, as there are lots of excellent class specific 4 drops and only a handful of such 3-drops, although that does obviously depend on the class you are playing.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »

The point that it is hard to easily destroy in one turn is certainly true, but that is true of any divine shield minion. Scarlet Crusader will just as easily survive a flamestrike, or other board clear. The Crusader is also able to more easily clear out a wider range of minions (such a River Crockalisk, Bloodsail Raider, Void Walker, Northshire Cleric) in a single swing, and by turn 2 to 3 it isn't uncommon to see a minion with three health. As a three drop her ability to clean up for you seems to be a better option.
The advantage of the Golem is that with 3 health + shield instead of 1 + shield it is actually capable of surviving more than two hits. If your undamaged golem takes a hit and doesn't die it starts doing work, but even then it isn't that amazing. You can expect it to engage in combat about three times (About two for the main body and one for the backup) then it will do six damage overall. As opposed to the Crusader that will be doing six anyway, except it can get that six damage off onto higher damage minions that would outright kill the Golem in one hit (Reducing him to two attacks).

Yes, the Crusader is a higher variance play, but I think the rewards are greater than the risks, especially when for a lot of classes, 1 damage twice in a turn is actually not that common.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2014, 05:04:46 pm »

The story so far:
Well, I did it - I made a screenshot of every card selection I got in a draft, I'll get around to transcribing them later - lots of controversial choices to argue over! I chose Druid from the selection as I haven't played them much in arena (Mage and Warrior were the other options). For now, here's the deck - very importantly, there's also 2 innervate (0 cost, gain two mana crystals this turn only) in the deck, cut off from the top of the list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any predictions on how I will fare? I haven't played any games with it yet. Since I went to this trouble, I fully expect to fall flat on my face and post a 0/3.
So I narrowed down the six most difficult picks I had in the draft (I'll probably post the full list later). See what you make of these, first spoiler gives you the choice I had, second spoiler explains my decision:

Controversial pick #1:
Justification #1:
Controversial pick #2:
Justification #2:
Controversial pick #3:
Justification #3:
Controversial pick #4:
Justification #4:
Controversial pick #5:
Justification #5:
Controversial pick #6:
Justification #6:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:07:41 pm by baruk »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »

1. Either Ironbark or Crusader are very valid options. Both great cards. I personally would have gone Ironbark but I wouldn't argue with anybody going Crusader. Innovate, on the other hand? Na...
2. MCT is all of the good stuff.
3. I think bite was actually the right choice here.
4. Not the best choices, but claw was the most solid pick.
5. Force of nature easy. Mountain giant is worst giant.
6. Ancient of war, it is a better card and your mana curve was begging for a heavy drop instead of another 3.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »

Yes, the Crusader is a higher variance play, but I think the rewards are greater than the risks, especially when for a lot of classes, 1 damage twice in a turn is actually not that common.
Very simply, the value assessments reflect this statement. IF you build a deck and/or encounter situations where the risk/reward trade of Crusader over Golem is worthwhile, it's a better card. IF you take all possible situations into account and assume nothing, the Golem has an edge.

As for that draft, I agree with Max on most of those.
1) Ironbark is nice.
2) Mind Control Tech is either a solid 3/3 for 3 or one of the few Hail Mary plays I've actually had pay off and win me a lost game.
3) When it comes to the Nourish/Bite/Mana Wraith choice your mana curve is almost too flat and you have two Innvervates without excess late game, so the Nourish would be wasted. Bite is more reliable than Wraith, so right choice.
4) This is a toss up for me. Bite is far more reliable (don't need a good minion on the board for it to be useful, plus cheap to throw into a turn), but you have 3 cards that work better enraged (Berserker and 2x Raging Worgen). Those are tempting Mark targets for me. Probably would have gone with the MotW on this, but only just.
5) Having the Ironbark would have made this easier, but even so the FoN is the only real option.
6) Not having the Ironbark made the AoW a must-have. I had a 0-3 Druid run today (3 Swipes in deck, 0 drawn in 3 games, GG) where I took two Ancients of Lore over Ancients of War because I expected to go late game and need the draw. I never made it to a point where I was top-decking. A single AoW over AoL would have saved me at least one game (painfully close...) and potentially kept me in a second. Blood Knight is still nice, but frankly without any shields in your deck it's a 3/3 for 3 most of the time. Still reasonable, but not compared to the alternative or in your 3-drop rich deck.

The other two questionable cards are the Winfury Harpy (don't think I've ever seen one of these swing in a game where there wasn't lethal without it) and Arcane Golem where I'd have gone with the Wraith. Both are situational, but the Wraith carries far less downside than the Golem.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2014, 09:59:48 pm »

The thing about Mana wraith is that its ability is going to affect players on their next turn after it is played. If you have other things you want to play beside mana wraith, play them first! Anyway, the turn after you play mana wraith is your opponents, so they suffer from it first. Either they can try to kill it (Often either wasting valuable removal) or they play creatures at a heightened cost. If they removed it then great, you get off ever having to pay the higher cost! Otherwise when it comes to your turn you can run it into something to lower costs again, or just keep it around and let your opponent face the same problem next turn. Either way you will always go one less turn with higher costs, so while it looks even, the adverse effect actually helps you more than them.

EDIT: Oh my god it comes with German voice acting! This is amazing!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2014, 02:03:42 pm »

I think Pint Sized Summoner was a good pick. MCT can be great, but most of the time I find it to just end up being 3/3. The Summoner has two nice things going for her: One, she meshes well with your creature-heavy deck. If she lives past the first turn, she's probably going to be quite helpful. Second, she's a cheap target. People put a LOT of emphasis on killing creatures like her, and I've seen people waste removal cards on her when I had much more dangerous things out. Her advantage, more often than not, is psychological as much as it is mechanical.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:14 pm »

I played my druid arena deck last night, and it crashed and burned to a 1-3.
The take home from that run:
- Innervate has to do something significant to justify its inclusion, either by helping you get early board control, doing a lot of damage, or just regaining the card that it cost. Playing a first turn 3/3 doesn't cut it when you're in an environment with a lot of cheap 3 damage removal cards - perhaps a second turn yeti or a third turn druid of the claw would have been more impactful. To make an M:tG reference, it's a dark ritual that has yet to find its hypnotic spectre. Also, drawing both innervates in the opening hand is pretty bad, so perhaps only use one at most.
- Blood knight is not a metagame pick, it's just a gamble in a deck without divine shield. Also, two of the strongest sources of divine shield tend to use up that shield the turn they come into play: argent protector and argent commander.
- Removal rules the Arena. If you don't have enough removal, perhaps you can survive to late game by playing out a never ending stream of chunky minions, keeping the enemy busy. To turn things around, you need a late game powerhouse: here's where I could have used the ironbark protector and ancient of war. These definitely seem like the correct picks in hindsight. My concern is consistency, getting stuck too often with late game in the opening hand, so I prefer aggro-style decks that focus the mana curve on 2 and 3 drops. You can definitely take this approach too far.

Here's the full draft of my druid deck (my picks bolded). Perhaps there's a really good deck hiding in there somewhere:

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »

All in all you made most of the right draft choices. One of the more controversial choices I might have made is Spiteful smith for number 11. I know, crazy right? But I do think the the vanilla 4/6 for five has good enough stats to be worth considering in a non-weapon class. Against innovate... Well it would have been a very hard choice and I would have had to give a very careful look at my curve.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2014, 11:59:56 am »

- Innervate has to do something significant to justify its inclusion... Playing a first turn 3/3 doesn't cut it when you're in an environment with a lot of cheap 3 damage removal cards

True, but look at it this way regarding the removal.  In the 3rd game where he used a cheap removal to counter - you just drew out one of his best removal cards in the first few rounds on a cheap (but good) minion.  That removal card was in his hand and going to be cast at some point in your game, Innervate or not; what the Innervate did was force it out early, adding that much more safety margin to your later minions.  Like you said, Removal is really important in Arena, so you essentially traded Innervate and a cheap minion to remove one of his best removal cards.  Not the best possible trade in terms of # of cards, but not a terrible one in the grand scheme.  Ideally, as you said, you'd be Innervating to get out something a bit more impactful than the Worgen - but what would've stopped him from using the Wrath to make that 'impactful minion' into easy pickings for one of his disposable minions?  Arguably, even an early worgen is solid, your Innervated worgen won you game 1 by putting out an early beatdown - how many games do you see the opponent at 15 on turn 4? 

I'd argue you lost Game 3 for other reasons.  The Claw/PowerOTW/Raptor/Worgen for Tazdingo/Swipe/-9 health bought him a 2 card advantage at the overall cost of his health.  Arguably, you could've played conservative, and saved Innervate and Coin to eventually coin out a big creature (in this case Stormwind C) and used the Worgens/Raptor as early trade and removal bait; that might've gone better, but that's hindsight. 

Edit:  I just caught your Dark Ritual reference; it's a good observation.  But a counterargument is that in Magic, people run decks that are vastly more loaded with removal than you'll ever see in Hearthstone Arena.  Dark Ritual to get out an early black heavy of questionable flavor is just removal bait in constructed play, but Dark Ritual would be much nastier in draft-style play when removal is not nearly as common.  The reason Dark Ritual 'needed' Hypno S was because removal was so common in constructed that the combo must have great potential to risk losing two cards to one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:45:10 pm by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2014, 04:04:32 pm »

I've used this Shaman deck a lot for quests and entertainment. It's a completely basic deck but plays as a near-OTK semi-control deck with very little effort. Really good fun. Mostly based around Windtalker/Rockbiter/Bloodlust combos. Get board control and two or more of those cards around turn 9 and you can finish them no matter their health. I think my best was dealing 20+ health damage through an 8/8 taunter while on less than 10 health myself.

Then today I started a Shaman arena and got a few rather nice cards. See;
This is after he healed for eight on the previous turn.

Unfortunately I disconnected during the fourth game after going 3-0. So it's now a 3-1 unbeaten deck...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2014, 06:03:16 pm »

So I play this too, now, apparently. Though not very well.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2014, 07:23:49 pm »

So I play this too, now, apparently. Though not very well.
First mistake every new player makes: This is not a 'who ever has more health is winning' game, this is a 'who ever has more cards in hand/minions on the board/unused key cards' is winning game. Go from there... Or watch Trump play, I do.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 109