Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153241 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #645 on: September 14, 2015, 01:00:37 pm »

The characters are all based on Warcraft lore, as are the expansions (lore wise). So far it's mostly based on WoW raids.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 14, 2015, 01:37:13 pm »

I am starting to wonder if Hearthstone is canonical to Warcraft...

Rexxar references it as something he plays in his offtime in heroes of the storm (In his angry poke quotes). So basically I prefer the "They are actors" sort of thing.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 14, 2015, 02:06:16 pm »

I know Gul'Dan is dead in Warcraft but not Hearthstone. I think it exists outside the timeline, where they can pull concepts they want from any part of WoW lore.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »

I know Gul'Dan is dead in Warcraft but not Hearthstone. I think it exists outside the timeline, where they can pull concepts they want from any part of WoW lore.

He's actually alive again due to that whole timeline thing thanks to the Bronze dragonflight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 14, 2015, 03:09:19 pm »

He's actually alive again due to that whole timeline thing thanks to the Bronze dragonflight.

Ahh yes I forgot how insanely messed up the whole Warcraft canon is now thanks to World of Warcraft.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 14, 2015, 03:14:10 pm »

I think the thing that is the most messed up is Muradin that resurrected.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 14, 2015, 03:31:14 pm »

Warcraft canon

World of Warcraft

choose one

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 14, 2015, 03:40:28 pm »

The heroes you're playing aren't actually necessarily alive for Hearthstone. They're all abstractions for the card game. It's not the heroes themselves, it's whatever random Warcraft character who's playing the card game, who build a deck with a given class and then each class has a representative character that would be known to everybody inhabiting the Warcraft world.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 14, 2015, 05:16:18 pm »

Warcraft canon

World of Warcraft

choose one

Unfortunately... to my knowledge they have yet to state that WoW is running off a different continuity.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #654 on: September 14, 2015, 05:37:01 pm »

WoW was never really considered canon AFAIK?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 14, 2015, 05:52:24 pm »

How is it not considered canon? It's the biggest game in the series.

The heroes you're playing aren't actually necessarily alive for Hearthstone. They're all abstractions for the card game. It's not the heroes themselves, it's whatever random Warcraft character who's playing the card game, who build a deck with a given class and then each class has a representative character that would be known to everybody inhabiting the Warcraft world.

I don't know, look at the Magni Bronzebeard teaser. Specifically this section:
An imposing, broad-shouldered figure lingered at the door. Patrons squinted, their eyes adjusting to the light as they tried to make out the newcomer. Hesitation brought with it a mild tension as for a brief moment, no one moved or spoke.

The innkeeper’s warm, hearty laugh echoed throughout the common room as he gestured the newcomer inside, breaking the sudden silence. The patrons laughed along with his infectious guffaw. Mugs were hefted high, and cries of challenge were shouted, clamoring to be heard.

To me, that says Magni Bronzebeard himself walked into the inn in the Hearthstone "story", and the heroes we can choose from all hang out there and play together.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 14, 2015, 07:05:15 pm »

A lot of the promotional material for Hearthstone shows Warcraft races playing with magical cards.  For example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hearthstone's flavour is also all very non-serious - you can imagine it as satirical in-world.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #657 on: September 14, 2015, 09:11:59 pm »

How is it not considered canon? It's the biggest game in the series.
Not the same canon as the Warcraft games, I thought. Although I might just be talking out of my arse.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 14, 2015, 09:29:42 pm »

I know Warcraft has a separate canon that includes the books. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple other canons, it seems convoluted enough to warrant it.

Huh, I forgot about those. So they portray the game one way in images and another way in writing? We may already have two separate Hearthstone canons.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 14, 2015, 11:07:44 pm »

I know Warcraft has a separate canon that includes the books. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple other canons, it seems convoluted enough to warrant it.

Huh, I forgot about those. So they portray the game one way in images and another way in writing? We may already have two separate Hearthstone canons.

It's not a separate canon, it's all one long storyline, Warcraft the video games, though some were superseded by updates in book form, World of Warcraft is not "Separate Canon"

Same with the Hearthstone, there's no two canons, it really is just one and you are overcomplicating it.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 109