Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524249 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #345 on: January 11, 2014, 09:41:19 pm »

Priest levels. Sorry I never know what to call them.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 11, 2014, 09:56:12 pm »

I have this pretender concept to be ironed out...
"The Daimon is a captain from Marignon that led a doomed expedition into the jungles of Mictlan in search. In one final act of madness and hubris, he ritually sacrificed all the men under his command and feasted on their blood, forever altering his essential nature. Now he has returned to Marignon, donning a godly mantle, and intending to rule over Inquisition, Diabolists and Mictlanese alike. The Daimon is a capable blood mage, and chaos, horror and bloodshed follow in his wake, and unrest and murders will increase in whichever province he resides."
(as you might notice, it's is heavily influenced by Aguirre and Carvajal... maybe it would work better as a rand -or not rand- hero?)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:04:51 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 11, 2014, 09:57:30 pm »

Priest reanimating is a different thing entirely and yeah, as you note, primarily takes corpses (or just plain population, in some cases).

Reanimating Souless uses fresh corpses
Reanimating Ghouls uses population
Reanimating Longdeads is free (they're coming from existing crypts/graveyards)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2014, 10:17:59 pm »

Decided to give it an extended demo spin.  So far it kind of feels like they're doing the sports game thing, a lot of stuff is the same.

Moving Ermor to Middle Age is an interesting change, hopefully it'll make Late Age less of a battle of the hell-dominion chaff swarm kingdoms, though I wonder what Lemuria is like
Shoes...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 11, 2014, 10:51:23 pm »

Lemuria is Dom3 Ashen Empire with the Soul Gate global, essentially.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 11, 2014, 11:12:57 pm »

Uhh, unless they changed it from Dominions 3, you should be able to build them wherever, but you need a unit with holy magic paths to build them.

They changed it... slightly. Now temples can be built (anywhere) by any sacred commander, regardless of whether they have Holy levels.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 11, 2014, 11:13:20 pm »

Oh that's really nice.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 12, 2014, 01:21:18 am »

Priest levels on the unit you want to build the temple.

On that note, I'm perplexed how Blood Dominion is supposed to work. Clearly, their Dominion is stronger than mine because on either side of a continental mountain range, where dominion can't spread through, my Dominion reigns. But even across an ocean of provinces I own, enemy dominion is completely flooding me. I have B3 guys with Jade Knives working over time, and for the most part they barely make a dent within half a continent of a homeland.

I started with Dominion Strength 8, so I know it's a little weak but I thought extra temples were supposed to take it to 10. I've got three guys sacrificing in a circle around an enemy homeland, and have watched dominion go up, down, left and right. I know it's a temple check and it's random, but why does Dominion not spread from behind where the enemy dominion can't reach? Another nation doesn't have temples within 10 provinces of my sacrificiers, and they're dominion is still smoking mine.

Is Mictlan just, fundamental weaker when it comes to dominion spread? Because playing just about any other nation, even at the same comprable dominion strength, I've never been this far behind. I suppose I'm probably just not doing it as I'm supposed to, and having a temple and sacrificer in literally every other province.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2014, 01:49:25 am »

Not sure if this is still true for Dom4, but in 3, your temples used your original dominion score in the strength of the temple check, even if you'd raised it through temple construction.

That said, 8 is still a pretty high strength, especially if you regularly have many guys making 5 blood sacrifices/month, so I'm not really sure what's going on there. Care to provide a screenshot?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2014, 02:26:31 am »

It's huge so I won't display it in the thread: http://imgur.com/Gse514I

The big red ring is Pangaea's seemingly impenetrable wall of Dominion. The gold dots are temples. Note the gold circle, where there are three temples that were keeping Kailasa on lock down. To the immediate west of them, I have not seem positive dominion yet. And as for Mictlan, for a while I had it up to 10 Dom, and then it bottomed out. I *just* got back into positive dominion on my own panhandle after putting three temples there, and after I built the Ark.

The stuff is Mictlan's western lands has stayed pretty consistent after three priests spent a lot of time there. But I think that has more to do with the fact it's insulated by mountains on two sides more than anything else.

Not all of my temples are manned by B3+ priests or buy full-time priests. But most are, especially the ones at the borderlands.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 12, 2014, 02:37:59 am »

Oh... yeah, pan's kinda' hard to dislodge when it comes to dominion. Cheap temples and all that, they tend to get that crap up everywhere. And it looks like they've got tons, just from that image. Every province of theirs you don't see probably has a temple in it, too.

I'd say in this case, it's likely not so much that your dom push is weak, per se, it's that it's pushing against something that's pushing back hard, too. You want to drop them, you'll probably want/need more temple checks then they're getting (probably more than you're putting out)... or start breaking their temples >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 12, 2014, 02:41:15 am »

I felt like I should post this here. Not sure whether this is Dom 3 or 4 though. I'm only halfway through this thread so far but this eater of the dead has gotten so powerful I don't think it'spossible to kill anymore.

This is a linkie to it's current stats from where I'm at in the thread. http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/28362785/images/1384841442468.png

And this one is a link to the thread to itself.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/28362785/

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 12, 2014, 02:43:23 am »

Yeesh, solid 10 black candles all the way through? Yeah, that isn't going down easy. Practically, it's probably easier to conquer all their provinces than to push even half that back. Mictlan is particularly unsuited towards this task, yes, but only because their priests can't preach, you have to build temples everywhere.

See, the higher the dominion is in a province, the more it resists change. Basically you need to stop sacrificing in the middle of 10-black candle land, those temple checks are pretty much wasted right now, and focus on the borders. Any province with 5 or less black candles is one you have a conceivable chance at taking. If you really want to start pushing those candles back, I'm guessing you'd need to at least double (and probably triple or more) the number of sacrificing temples you have in operation.

EDIT:Also, you have like 100 stone idols worth of gems there, so that might be an option.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:49:03 am by Karlito »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 12, 2014, 02:58:37 am »

It's all pretty academic at this point, but that's good to know I'm wasting my time sac'ing in 5+ black candle regions.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 12, 2014, 03:08:37 am »

So I finished reading that thread I mentioned earlier. It finally died. Not because they could kill it, but because it got so much HP it apparently shifted into the negatives. It was 21k kills when it died and had wiped every other faction from the game before it had died. Christ. Oh well, that was a amusing read.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 236