I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 578106 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #4605 on: January 13, 2016, 03:20:56 pm »

I'm wondering if the whole sacrifice of Isaac story was fabricated by the Council of Nicaea.

Nope. It's in the Dead Sea Scrolls, which are at a conservative estimate two centuries older than the Council of Nicaea, and at a liberal estimate closer to six.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: January 13, 2016, 03:41:18 pm »

What version would you suggest? I've read some pretty old literature so I wouldn't mind reading the King James Bible if that's the most accurate and/or popular one. Or should I try one of the newer versions?
I'd Recomend the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible) It is not as well known as some of the others, but it is very colsely translated to the original Hebrew/Greek that the Bible was written.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: January 13, 2016, 03:45:10 pm »

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

There is no resolution that will leave both of you happy.

Uuuuugh! I feared that might have been the case. I'll give the prostration thing a shot, though. Even if I don't get spiritual insight from reading the Bible it'll lend me more insight into how others view the world. What version would you suggest? I've read some pretty old literature so I wouldn't mind reading the King James Bible if that's the most accurate and/or popular one. Or should I try one of the newer versions?

Why settle for one? Use Biblehub's paralell translations, either of five side-by-side translations of whole chapters or well over a dozen translations of individual verses.

I'm partial to Young's Literal Translation (YLT) and Berean Literal Bible myself though
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: January 13, 2016, 03:56:34 pm »

Upon reading up on  Carthaginian Child Sacrifice and the new camp that says that it's probably a blood libel the Romans came up with, I'm wondering if the whole sacrifice of Isaac story was fabricated by the Council of Nicaea.

... if you scroll down you'll see that there's too much awful evidence of Carthagian child sacrifice for it to be just the product of propaganda.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: January 13, 2016, 04:28:55 pm »

@Frumple

After looking through my options I've settled on the New King James Version. It uses the same design principles and source as KJV, but with much more modern language like NIV. There's also a nice series of readings online so I can listen while drawing. Right now, I'm midway through the Gospel of Mark and it's been very interesting. Mark 4:16 really jumped out at me because it felt like it was specifically addressed towards people like me.

@Arx

Thanks. One of the greatest things about Christianity is how open it is to interpretation with things like this. I'll keep these passages in mind and bring them up in our next discussion. And don't worry, I don't plan to make an informed descision about my faith until I've poured through every last word of this book. :)

@origamiscienceguy
@Bohandas

So many options! Even though I've committed to this version, I'll definitely have to look through these other versions. Translation accuracy has always been a favorite subject of mine. (Blame Clyde Mandelin)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: January 13, 2016, 04:41:26 pm »

The New KJV seems to retain some of the original's mistakes. Lucifer is mentioned by name, at least.

Personally I go with NIV most often, but I use biblegateway.com so I can switch around to any translation I want. Though I usually only check multiple translations when I'm picking at specific language. I have a paper Bible too that I like (it's a very well made book) and it's Today's New International Version. I have no idea what the differences are between that and the regular NIV.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: January 13, 2016, 04:44:03 pm »

biblegateway.com does, IIRC, 12 different translations.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: January 13, 2016, 04:48:54 pm »

They have 50+ different English translations, and it looks like you can view up to five at once.

You might be thinking of a different site. I've accidentally ended up on similar-but-worse Bible sites many times.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4613 on: January 13, 2016, 04:53:34 pm »

NIV is the better version these days, iirc.
NIV is considered more accessible, but the ESV is a better translation, and is what I would recommend. King James is cool-sounding, so I lean towards that one for presentations and such, although it retains a few errors.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: January 14, 2016, 02:21:57 am »

Given insanity has been defined as doing the same thing many times and expecting different results, does prayer fit the bill?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
 - Albert Einstein

To be honest, I'm not sure that quote could be applicable to religion. If I recall correctly, in the original context Einstein was talking about the scientific method. And if you think about it, the scientific method is pretty insane. You come up with a hypothesis, prove yourself right via testing, then spend the rest of your life repeating the experiment and trying to prove yourself wrong. In contrast to religion, science revolves around constantly trying to prove itself wrong. It is...insanity.
It's not applicable there, because of the unspoken context that gives credit to the quote being lost due to how prevalent its use is nowadays [especially for superficial prevalence, or "[I'll use this quote because it makes sense with my statement]" x_x

@Arx

Thanks. One of the greatest things about Christianity is how open it is to interpretation with things like this. I'll keep these passages in mind and bring them up in our next discussion. And don't worry, I don't plan to make an informed descision about my faith until I've poured through every last word of this book. :)
Always be reminded of context so some words won't be lost due to association with modern definitions. :) Many people...accidentally misinterpret many verses due to incomplete context. x_x

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: January 14, 2016, 02:44:42 am »

Given insanity has been defined as doing the same thing many times and expecting different results, does prayer fit the bill?

I don't think you can counter a platitude with another platitude

EDIT:
Or was it that you can only counter a platitude with another platitude?..
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4616 on: January 14, 2016, 03:35:57 am »

It's also kind of a funny point to make about religion when the entire point of empirical science is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: January 14, 2016, 04:34:56 am »

the entire point of empirical science is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
What no it isn't? It's about doing smilar things with slight differences to try and find what factors relate to what outcomes and in what way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4618 on: January 14, 2016, 04:46:51 am »

Details, details.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: January 14, 2016, 05:00:09 am »

Details, details.
Yes, exactly! Well, or sometimes when you realise the whole model was wrong but that doesn't happen too often.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 521