I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 578102 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7395 on: June 20, 2023, 02:19:32 am »

I consider fundamentalism to be kind of... a separate thing that can be made unacceptable separately from moderate faith. I try and dissociate from them.

I think that in past centuries Religion are become less and less relevant, a reactive force to changes made by others, relying on scripture written by those who had no concept for things to come. In this sense Fundamentalism is a reactionary force, which tries to shoehorn literal interpretation of dated concepts, while moderate faith is just using conservative buffer/filter to social change happening right now.

Personally, I am more concerned about the Railgun aspect of the equation. I think that all people (irrespective of their belief religious or otherwise) have great capacity to believe what they want to believe, rejecting reality and substituting it with their own. More over in hyper-partisans political climate in age of media sensationalism some people start to confuse the political games with reality, and all of that get in the way of science.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: June 20, 2023, 05:54:22 am »

Apparently holy scriptures aren't unchangeable.
Saudi Arabia removed a verse from the Qu'ran, that described 'christians and jews' as the enemies of muslims.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: June 20, 2023, 08:58:42 am »

Apparently holy scriptures aren't unchangeable.
Saudi Arabia removed a verse from the Qu'ran, that described 'christians and jews' as the enemies of muslims.

Citation needed.

I know that Saudi Arabia is doing a major overhaul of their school textbooks, removing much anti-Israel and anti-Jewish (I refuse to call Arabs antisemitic) stuff. I assume they also may have removed some Quran citations from those textbooks but it is not the same as modifying Quran
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: June 20, 2023, 12:04:54 pm »

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/in-saoedische-schoolboeken-zijn-christenen-en-joden-niet-langer-de-vijand-van-moslims-en-dat-past-in-een-trend~b60b3172/

It's in the article, mentioned together with the changing of schoolbooks.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Hmm yeah it could be that they mean that the verse was removed from the school books, but then they are writing it in a very obfuscated way.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 12:07:24 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: June 22, 2023, 05:33:24 pm »

I kinda get that greek gods are fickle, spontaneous and temperamental because they are personifications of larger-than-life stuff

But an in-myth explanation to their emotional incontinence could be that a majority of them are literal incest babies. It is like that whole Habsburg thing.

I present to you; The Olympian Temper Syndrome.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7400 on: July 05, 2023, 09:50:35 pm »

I kinda get that greek gods are fickle, spontaneous and temperamental because they are personifications of larger-than-life stuff

But an in-myth explanation to their emotional incontinence could be that a majority of them are literal incest babies. It is like that whole Habsburg thing.

I present to you; The Olympian Temper Syndrome.
I always find it funny in hindsight where the hubris tales of Greek mythology were supposed to be lessons in humility for humans who reached for more than they could handle... But some of them are just the gods catching Ls non-stop and the humans can't be blamed for the gods being worse at the things they're supposed to be good at. Like the story of Arachne competing with Athena in a weaving contest; with nothing better to do but torment a poor lowborn Lydian girl who boasted her weaving skill was superior to all - even the gods, Athena challenges Arachne to a weaving contest in the disguise of a mortal.

Athena weaves a tapestry showing the gods punishing the mortals for their hubris. Arachne weaves a tapestry of all the times gods appeared before mortals in disguise, decieving them and ruining their lives just to get what they want. Athena, goddess of wisdom, in her disguise she is using to deceive Arachne to get what she wants, then reveals her disguise (lol) and unable to find any fault or criticism of Arachne's perfect tapestry, grabs her weaving shuttle, smashing Arachne on the head four times. Unable to cope with the pain, Arachne kills herself by hanging - and out of "compassion" wise Pallas Athene uses witchcraft to transform Arachne into a spider

Pallas could not blame that work, nor could Envy censure it. The yellow-haired Virgin grieved at her success, and tore the web embroidered with the criminal acts of the Gods of heaven. And as she was holding her shuttle made of boxwood from Mount Cytorus, three or four times did she strike the forehead of Arachne, the daughter of Idmon. The unhappy creature could not endure it; and being of a high spirit, she tied up her throat in a halter. Pallas, taking compassion, bore her up as she hung; and thus she said: “Live on indeed, wicked one, but still hang; and let the same decree of punishment be pronounced against thy race, and against thy latest posterity, that thou mayst not be free from care in time to come.” After that, as she departed, she sprinkled her with the juices of an Hecatean herb; and immediately her hair, touched by the noxious drug, fell off, and together with it her nose and ears. The head of herself, now small as well throughout her whole body, becomes very small. Her slender fingers cleave to her sides as legs; her belly takes possession of the rest of her; but out of this she gives forth a thread; and as a spider, she works at her web as formerly.

Literally petulant overpowered children losing the argument every time and in their implike seething deciding "WELL I DON'T LOSE BECAUSE I KILL YOU I WIN"
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 09:52:11 pm by Loud Whispers »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: July 05, 2023, 10:11:55 pm »

I'm sorry- Athena, goddess of war, divine being, hit Arachne FOUR TIMES??

I don't know what the original point of the story was, but I consider this a testament to humankind's resilience.
(on top of Arachne being a master artisan greater than even the gods)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: July 06, 2023, 04:33:54 am »

Tldr; Olympians are sexy bitches.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: July 06, 2023, 12:50:50 pm »

I'm sorry- Athena, goddess of war, divine being, hit Arachne FOUR TIMES??

I don't know what the original point of the story was, but I consider this a testament to humankind's resilience.
(on top of Arachne being a master artisan greater than even the gods)

It's generally considered to advise against the hubris inherent in challenging the gods. Even if you win, the gods are still powerful in ways you are not, so don't challenge them out of pride.

IIRC the story comes from Ovid, a Roman poet, though it probably predates him and it's just his interpretation of an existing myth.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: July 06, 2023, 03:39:14 pm »

In which case, it would be interesting to explore the presence of four-time blows in other Ovidian work/Roman culture.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: August 10, 2023, 10:48:00 pm »

As I'm reading about "Religious Freedom" being the stick with which to beat the LGBTQ community, I wonder if the following statement would be protected under Free Speech and Religious Freedoms:

Jesus was born a woman, and self-identified as a man.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: August 10, 2023, 11:22:28 pm »

Personal freedoms override religious freedoms, is my reconciliation. Abusing children is not, in any case, a right you are "free" to exercise.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: August 10, 2023, 11:42:11 pm »

The way I see it, if people had to properly detail why their idiocy is justified under "religious freedom", it would be a far harder legal issue to litigate.

Jesus never misgendered anyone. The original bible had no pronouns.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: August 10, 2023, 11:54:29 pm »

As I'm reading about "Religious Freedom" being the stick with which to beat the LGBTQ community, I wonder if the following statement would be protected under Free Speech and Religious Freedoms:

Better try "Mohammed was born a woman and self-identified as a man". And draw a nice picture of sexy Mohammed with tits.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: August 10, 2023, 11:57:48 pm »

Better try "Mohammed was born a woman and self-identified as a man". And draw a nice picture of sexy Mohammed with tits.
Well, I'm sure that would be protected in American...
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 521