Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Who are the Gnosia? Game Over - Crew Win!  (Read 18190 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the Gnosia? Game Over - Crew Win!
« Reply #315 on: May 06, 2021, 01:47:05 pm »

I also like this setup a lot and hope the next iteration is more challenging for town.

Given I knew I wasn't able to give much time to this, my whole strategy was just to try to subtly hint that I was the GA to make it more likely I'd be NK'd, to cover the real GA but it didn't end up necessary.
I noticed this. I tried framing Jim as the GA too because why not.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:50:57 pm by ToonyMan »

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 06, 2021, 01:51:25 pm »

I do like the game concept in of itself - hope to see it again.

Maybe I can be town next time.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 06, 2021, 01:53:59 pm »

Yay, I won!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 06, 2021, 02:15:29 pm »

Nice one. I didn't do much but I'll take the win.

This is exactly how I feel about this game.

My reads in my second post of the game turned out to be accurate so I feel pretty good about that I guess even if I did suspect webadict a little on Day 1.

Given I knew I wasn't able to give much time to this, my whole strategy was just to try to subtly hint that I was the GA to make it more likely I'd be NK'd, to cover the real GA but it didn't end up necessary.
I noticed this. I tried framing Jim as the GA too because why not.

I was also trying to drop hints that I was the GA.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the Gnosia? Day Two - 7/9 Still in this Universe
« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2021, 02:22:08 pm »

On the bright side Jim what we did was avoid the temptation to make fancy plays or whatever, and just engaged authentically which ended up solidifying us as town, helping speed the game to its conclusion:

Correct. The simple fact is that if ToonyMan is lying, then... who's the last Gnosia? It can't be Caz, because they're not here. It's not likely to be TricMagic, in spite of themselves. It could potentially be Jim or NQT, but... I don't see Jim Groovester killing Jack. NQT? Maybe. They'd gamble it. Jim is very by-the-books, plus they were willing to throw Vector under the bus in that case. Jim Groovester is very unlikely.

So, if it's not BluarianKnight, then it's probably NQT.
@Web:
NQT was the vote that put Vector into cold sleep, it would have been a tie otherwise.

I was waiting for Blue to vote Vector but they never did.

Jim and NQT are town.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2021, 02:52:46 pm »

Gnosia chat:
https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/dqvc7nwNYxHM
Dead chat:
https://www.quicktopic.com/53/H/r4EKFStTYSg5

Vector did make an error with their claim but this setup does force decisions on the mafia players very quickly compared to almost any other setup, which is tough when you are unfamiliar with it. Toony and webadict having a strong understanding of the setup and both having power roles didn't help, and there were actually a few strong non-mechanical reads going around from town players too.

I'd be happy to run the setup again whenever people want it. I do think there was a lot of good discussion in this game, and that should help everyone have a better understanding of how this differs to other setups next time. One change I'm considering making is having a "Night 0". That night would have no actions but it'd give the Gnosia a bit of time to talk to each other and decide on a strategy before claims start flying in the thread.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 06, 2021, 02:59:30 pm »

One change I'm considering making is having a "Night 0". That night would have no actions but it'd give the Gnosia a bit of time to talk to each other and decide on a strategy before claims start flying in the thread.
That's a good idea.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 06, 2021, 03:27:42 pm »

My understanding of the game came from watching a few minutes of gameplay. That's why I knew to claim ASAP.

Also happy I read not only the scum, but also the GA, as well. Can't believe I got that one.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 06, 2021, 03:52:14 pm »

One change I'm considering making is having a "Night 0". That night would have no actions but it'd give the Gnosia a bit of time to talk to each other and decide on a strategy before claims start flying in the thread.
That's a good idea.

I agree. I had no idea the gametype was about fakeclaiming.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 06, 2021, 04:29:22 pm »

Well, this is embarrassing, since you all now know dead EJ thought Vector might be the GA....

Wasn't me!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 06, 2021, 06:57:41 pm »

Well, that was fast.

It being an open setup really benefited the town.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 06, 2021, 09:48:27 pm »

I was wondering about the viability as Coroner of initially lying if the result was Gnosia by claiming the result was human, then before the vote revealing that the result was actually Gnosia.  I had mostly rejected it in this scenario where the Town had basically figured out the Gnosia, but thought it may be a valid tactic if there was still one unknown Gnosia.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 06, 2021, 10:43:04 pm »

Since the remaining Gnosia knows the Coroner is lying (since they know that the species of their scumbuddy), the remaining Gnosia may consider the Coroner anti-Crew (either an AC Cultist or a Bug). So you, as the lying Coroner, could make the remaining Gnosia trust you, at the cost of making everyone else distrust you if you admit to lying and reveal the true result. Potentially useful, but you'd have to weigh the pros and the cons.

EDIT: You don't have to ever reveal that the scumbuddy was Gnosia, by the way. If you say the scumbuddy was Human, and then somehow push the freeze onto the remaining Gnosia, the game ends automatically. So you can keep up the facade of the scumbuddy being Human as long as necessary.

EDIT2: I think this strategy can only work against the Gnosia if you aren't a confirmed Coroner, and if there is a realistic possibility of you fake-claiming the position. If everyone thinks you're the genuine Coroner, then when the Gnosia hears that their scumbuddy has been exonerated, they're just going to be confused. They know you're lying, yet they also know that you aren't looking out for their interest...so they don't know why you're lying. They won't trust you though, which is what I think is needed for EJ's tactic to work.

EDIT3: Note that this strategy may be a bad idea if there is a living Bug. The Crew may focus entirely on the Gnosia threat, thinking that the Gnosia is more powerful than they really are...and that they can worry about the Bug threat later. The Bug, meanwhile, can win if the remaining Gnosia accidentally outs themselves and gets frozen.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 11:04:15 pm by Skynet »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 07, 2021, 08:39:11 am »

Well, this is embarrassing, since you all now know dead EJ thought Vector might be the GA....

Wasn't me!

Sort of makes sense, and crossed my mind watching: maybe the coroner wasn't protected because the GA was frozen! It might make sense for GA to claim engie? Gnosia might take you for AC, thus preserving the GA's protection.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 07, 2021, 08:44:06 am »

I think not fakeclaiming made it obvious I was GA.

I would have claimed Engy or Coro if I was real or scum and I would have claimed GA as crew.

So claiming Engy or Coro as GA might be viable.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23