Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1216594 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.48 released!)
« Reply #2610 on: August 26, 2010, 05:05:06 pm »

World generation is based on seed AND raws, so with different raws you get different results.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: August 26, 2010, 07:34:24 pm »

Alright, thanks.

And could someone please tell me how to integrate these graphics into a vanilla game that's already started? Or is that impossible?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: August 26, 2010, 08:06:21 pm »

Download the upgrade pack and just drag all of that into your game, merging folders and replacing whatever files get overlapped.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: August 26, 2010, 08:21:54 pm »

Download the upgrade pack and just drag all of that into your game, merging folders and replacing whatever files get overlapped.
Sorry, but I tried that and it didn't work :(. My animals show up as letters, and my dwarves show up kinda looking like these guys (but not exactly, I think they're from a tileset that I can't find on the wiki).

Keep in mind that I get this when I continue a game that I started yesterday with the default tileset.

EDIT: Derp de derp. All I had to do was run the savegame_updater! It works perfectly now, thanks guys.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:29:02 pm by Carpman »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: August 27, 2010, 12:55:19 am »

..I can't believe I'm saying this.

Yes, it's theoretically possible with what we've got now, or are about to get, at least.

Given the generated text, though.. it would *not* look good. You'd probably be better off passing those bits through babelfish in realtime.
Heh, yeah, it'd turn out mangled. I shudder to think what a japanese translation would look like.

That said, for many years before our publishers began properly undertaking localizations of english games, pirate translations were a vital part of russian gaming. You can't imagine the kinds of mangled and mistranslated sentences that could be encountered in those. A most memorable one for me is the "The sun is our destroyer now, Christoff" line from VtM:Redemption, which was translated as "Солнце наш эскадренный миноносец теперь, Кристоф" - with "destroyer" translated into its naval equivalent. So, a mangled translation won't be a problem most of the time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: August 27, 2010, 07:41:45 am »

Sorry, but I tried that and it didn't work :(. My animals show up as letters, and my dwarves show up kinda looking like these guys (but not exactly, I think they're from a tileset that I can't find on the wiki).

Keep in mind that I get this when I continue a game that I started yesterday with the default tileset.

EDIT: Derp de derp. All I had to do was run the savegame_updater! It works perfectly now, thanks guys.

Uh... are you making sure you're keeping ALL the files that are in the upgrade pack?
You should be clicking "move and replace" or whatever is the equivalent in your OS.

the raw folder should merge with your raw folder, and the data folder with your data folder.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: August 27, 2010, 08:12:13 am »

Keep in mind, there's a copy of the raw folder in your savegames.

Including raw/graphics. Which is crazy, really.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: August 27, 2010, 08:38:29 am »

It's not crazy, it's awesome. It allows people to update their Genesis version without screwing up their current forts, and share forts without mods :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: August 27, 2010, 10:37:12 am »

Uh... are you making sure you're keeping ALL the files that are in the upgrade pack?
You should be clicking "move and replace" or whatever is the equivalent in your OS.

the raw folder should merge with your raw folder, and the data folder with your data folder.
Yeah, whenever it asked me if I wanted the files to merge, I said yes, and I told it to copy and replace whenever possible. It's not a problem anymore though, since it's working perfectly in the game I already started.

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: August 27, 2010, 11:12:00 am »

Basically what Baughn said was your problem, save games use the files in

data/save/regionX/raw/

and you need to replace them if you want to mod a savegame.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: August 27, 2010, 06:12:59 pm »

Does anybody know if tile 219 (the solid block) is used anywhere other than the trade depot?  If not, I think it could stand to get a new, less wavy makeover.  Big square tiles with beveled edges and some fine cracks might look good.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: August 27, 2010, 06:19:18 pm »

Now that I'm back in school, I'm not finding a whole lot of free time to sprite.

And I think rather than telling you I can get some sprites out and then failing to do so,
it's better for me to tell you I'm taking a break and then surprise you with a sprite here and there if I can.

So for now, at least until I get into the schedule and on top of my classes, I'm gonna take a little break.

As soon as Baughn gets all that new stuff out, I won't be able to stay away.
But for now, WormSlayer can carry the load.

Sorry, guys.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder anyway.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: August 27, 2010, 06:42:26 pm »

Does anybody know if tile 219 (the solid block) is used anywhere other than the trade depot?  If not, I think it could stand to get a new, less wavy makeover.  Big square tiles with beveled edges and some fine cracks might look good.
hm, that's interesting, worth a try;
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tilesets
says it's "Any solid color tile".

I'm gonna take a little break.
Take care.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:45:21 pm by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: August 27, 2010, 06:52:24 pm »

It's the tile used for designated dig tiles. It might be used for miasma and the like when it is 100% solid miasma, or that might just be hardcoded as a solid colour, can't remember.

Anyway, I added bevel to it as other graphic sets do and yes it looks a lot better for trade depots.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (little break)
« Reply #2624 on: August 27, 2010, 06:54:58 pm »

I know it says "Any solid color tile", but I couldn't think of any other places where it appeared.  Thanks, Harmonica.  A smooth tile would work for dig designations, so that's okay... miasma less so.  Then again, the current wavy tile isn't so great for miasma either.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 329