Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 61208 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 05:17:58 pm »

The speed of light is a very fundamental quantity, even a slight deviation would invalidate decades of research. It's not just the speed of photons in a perfect vacuum, it also defines the quantum levels of atoms and molecules, the time dilatation experienced by satellites, many magnetic phenomena, the stability of nuclei, the colors of lasers and even theoretical calculations of the efficiency of catalysts and solar cells. If C is actually wrong, we're going to have to redefine all other fundamental constants as well.

Esplain?
To boil it down to an understandable, layman's terms-esque format, at the smallest level we can currently "see", matter doesn't have to exist in only one place at once.

It's impossibly more complicated than that, but I'd rather not get that far in depth.  I'm sure there's plenty of information on the 'webz.  Mind, there's a lot of debate, but it's arguably the only way something could go faster than light, and such theoretically involved here too.
I thought that conventional information was still confined by the light speed? That is, collapsing a wave-function would cause effects (such as the location of a particle becoming  well-defined) to go faster than the speed of light, but those effects in themselves do not carry any information (The collapse of the wave-function has an essentially random result, meaning it carries no more information than the wafe-function originally carried). A neutrino appearing at a defined position is very much conventional information though...

How do you know the neutrinos are at defined points? Actually, shouldn't this whole thing violate Heisenberg's uncertainty principle? If position and velocity are linked quantities, and we know how fast its going... then we should have a very poor idea of what its location is. I'd figure it out, but I seem to have lost my physics notes :(
We don't know their true velocity, only their macroscopic velocity. Neutrino detectors can only detect locations. As such, we can calculate an average velocity from the time it took the neutrino to pass the distance between the point of origin and the eventual point of detection, but we cannot, as by the uncertainty principle, describe their exact trajectory (we assume it is a straight line for convenience and to avoid hurting our head, but it's actually a propagating quantum state) or the instantaneous speed at any point.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:25:03 pm by Virex »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 05:40:33 pm »

Neutrinos sent through the ground from Cern toward the Gran Sasso laboratory 732km away seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second early.

But for now, he explained, "we are not claiming things, we want just to be helped by the community in understanding our crazy result - because it is crazy".

"And of course the consequences can be very serious."

Fuck, CERN finally did it.  Light-speed exceeding black holes eating out the center of the Earth, here we go.

Damn you, science.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:57 pm »

Thank fuck I'm not a physicist right now. I'd be dreading the years of potential work involved with redo'ing everything.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 05:47:17 pm »

Fuck, CERN finally did it.  Light-speed exceeding black holes eating out the center of the Earth, here we go.
No wonder I'm always hungry and short of 'blood'.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »

Sounds like light speed would be, in essence, a form of speed measurement, like KPH or MPH.

Alright Assholes, LUDICROUS SPEED, GO!!!

* Itnetlolor disappears in a flash of plaid

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:17:33 pm by Itnetlolor »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2011, 06:11:39 pm »

I have an extremely easy way to test if this breaks causality.

1. Set up a neutrino detector thingy.
2. Write down a language to send messages with it.
3. See if you get any messages from the future.

If this speed of light breaking nukes everything we know about physics, you can be damn sure we'll be abusing it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2011, 06:20:18 pm »

Thank fuck I'm not a physicist right now. I'd be dreading the years of potential work involved with redo'ing everything.
Probably a mix of that and great excitement. One scientist I heard interviewed at CERN a few months back seemed to be hoping that whatever they discovered would upturn current notions and reveal an even stranger universe. If this is as ground breaking as implied it's going to make and break reputations.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2011, 06:25:58 pm »

I love discoveries that unearth more questions than they answer. This one, opened pandoras box of questions : D

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2011, 06:30:01 pm »

If this speed of light breaking nukes everything we know about physics, you can be damn sure we'll be abusing it.
This is assuming that things going faster than light actually do go backward in time. An assumption that could easily be broken while this line of research is shaking so many things up.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 06:59:01 pm »

This is assuming that things going faster than light actually do go backward in time. An assumption that could easily be broken while this line of research is shaking so many things up.
Things which go faster than light actually go to chicago.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 07:03:22 pm »

Fantafuckingtastic. There went your science.

Why did this happen? This must not be real.
Good thing we wont be able to use this for anything.

LUCID DREAMERS DO A REALITY CHECK
...Nope, not dreaming. Looks like you guys aren't part of my mind, darn.

This seems...I dunno, I'm quite baffled. I'm sure physicists are going to be having a wonderful time if this turns out being accurate. I am certainly interested.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 07:16:31 pm »

(All of this is pretty much space fluff until some hard evidence can actually be gathered.  Spacetime is a highly complex, highly theoretical idea.)

Time is relative.
The object traveling FTL will have the effects of time upon them slowed.  Probably stopped.  POSSIBLY reversed.
However, it does NOT allow them to travel BACKWARDS in the "universal" spacetime.
I'm sure you're all familiar with a game that supports some form of time compression?   For those subatomic particles in the LHC, time IS being compressed.
If a clock were sent at exactly the speed of light for the entire journey, it would retain the exact same time as when it left when it arrived.  Time was, for that clock, and that clock only, stopped.
If we could move near or at that speed, we, too, could "time travel" forward.  But not backward.
It is impossible to go backward, unless we can somehow figure out how to move in negative spacetime.
We might be able to do that too, using black holes, but quite obviously we're nowhere near solving that particular puzzle.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2011, 07:21:17 pm »

Heh, one of my pet peeves with science fiction that tries to be hard is when they say getting places will take a long time.

No, it won't take 4 years to get to the nearest star if you're going the speed of light. Not for you, anyway; to people on Earth and Alpha Centauri, yes, it'll take 4 years. For you? Trip will be finished in the blink of an eye.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »

(All of this is pretty much space fluff until some hard evidence can actually be gathered.  Spacetime is a highly complex, highly theoretical idea.)

Time is relative.
The object traveling FTL will have the effects of time upon them slowed.  Probably stopped.  POSSIBLY reversed.
However, it does NOT allow them to travel BACKWARDS in the "universal" spacetime.
I'm sure you're all familiar with a game that supports some form of time compression?   For those subatomic particles in the LHC, time IS being compressed.
If a clock were sent at exactly the speed of light for the entire journey, it would retain the exact same time as when it left when it arrived.  Time was, for that clock, and that clock only, stopped.
If we could move near or at that speed, we, too, could "time travel" forward.  But not backward.
It is impossible to go backward, unless we can somehow figure out how to move in negative spacetime.
We might be able to do that too, using black holes, but quite obviously we're nowhere near solving that particular puzzle.

Does this mean we might be able to gain temporary immortality out of this?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2011, 07:24:52 pm »

Throw the thing into reverse?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39