Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Please vote wich game is better (if you played all of them, or know them somewhat well enough) and comment on why did you chose that, thank you.

Morrowind (with Tribunal and Bloodmoon)
- 124 (58.8%)
Oblivion (with Shivering Isles)
- 16 (7.6%)
Skyrim
- 51 (24.2%)
Daggerfall
- 16 (7.6%)
Arena
- 4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls  (Read 55833 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 03:18:50 am »

I couldn't really pick which one is better. They each had their up's and downs.

Morrowind had a much nicer land, and was much more fun to explore. Dungeons seemed reasonably varied and interesing to go through. Some cities had sewers/other extra things. In Oblivion, dungeons were barren samey tubes that were completely uninteresting. Skyrim improved them, but sort of fell inbetween the two.

In terms of technical graphics, its obviously Skyrim followed by Oblivion followed by Morrowind. In terms of art though the world of Morrowind much more interesting to look at. (its been a while since I played it (cant remember names) but that city that was basically pyrmids in the ocean, I think it started with a V. That was awesome.). However, the character meshes and (especially) the animations were eye-bleedingly bad. Oblivion improved this, but was still pretty meh-ish. Skyrim further improved this to the point of being acceptable, but they still werent great. (For Morrowind) Installing Better Bodies (I believe the mod was called) rectified the mesh issue, but this is in regards to the base game. Skyrim's enviroment was way to grey-scale and dull for me. I know why alot of modern games do it, due to the limitation of light simulation etc, but it was still quite boring to look at.

However, Morrowind had unique animation's and meshes for the beast races, which I usually played. Sure, they were still terrable, but merely being different was a nice touch and help gave them a little more character. Even the Argonian's had their own swiming animation. Again, the animation itself is terrable, but it was still a nice touch just because it was different. Oblivion ruined them. Skyrim alteres a few animations, but only marginally improved on Obivion.

Im not a lore-person, So I dont really have much to say in regards to this. If a game breaks a few lore-rules I dont mind.

In regards to combat, I preferred Skyrim and Obivion though. Something about swining a sword into someone's face and missing, despite having seen the sword go into their face was rather jarring. I dont subscribe to the statistical-gameplay-is-more-intelligent-and-better argument. Actually I dont understand it at all. I liked that these two games glossed over all the numbers, which don't feel right when I want to enjoy the world and the game (your X skill is 47 giving you a 65% chance of hitting? I dont care). I did like, however, that using weapons in Morrowind in different ways (stab, slash etc) worked in a logical way with regards to the weapon being used. That is slashing with a spear is a bad idea etc. This was a nice feature I was disappointed to see removed. The killing animations in Skyrim are cool for about the first 5 or so times, after that they become annoying and pointless.

I did not like Oblivion's level-scaling thing. As much as I don't like the stats-stuff, it made any for mof advancement feel completely redundant. Skyrim did a bit better. Morrowind did it the best, as they were all a set level. Dangerious places were actually dangerous and made exploring more interesting. It avoided grind by simply providing plenty of things for a low-level character to do, you could just play the game without grinding and advance at a reasonable rate without feeling like a grind.

I liked all the extra armor and weapons of Morrowind. Being able to equip different shoulder-pieces and such made armor more interesting. The weapon variety was nice, the various different types of armor's, and the 3 categories they could fit into were nice too. Oblivion was a bit of a dissapointment in this regards. Equiptment was just less fun and interesting. Skyrim was worse, with even less.

I did prefer Morrowind's text-heavy approach, as I like to read. But I did not mind the change to voice acting (except for Oblivion's issue with limited number of voice actors). The story in Morrowind felt more engaging, but I still enjoyed Oblivion's one too. When I heard Skyrim (being a fantasy game) would have a significant focus on slaying dragons I nearly wanted to facepalm my face inside-out. Seriously? Slaying dragons? Thats the best you could come up with? Whats next, saving princesses in towers? Game made it very hard to explain to people that fantasy stuff is more than just terrable cliché. Also actually slaying them had the same issue as the kill animation. Turned into a repetitive and pointless novelty quickly. The Oblivion gate's (forget their exact name, been a while since I played it) got annoying too though. Actually now I think about it, Dragons in Skyrim were basically flying Oblivion games, complete with a "you-finished-it!" spell/powerup/thingy.

So to conclude, Morrowind had a more interesting world, story and items. Oblivion had better combat, less getting lost (I cannot explain in words how bad I am with directions, IRL or in game), less painful animations and less stat-focused gameplay. And Skyrim was basically an improved-Obivion (but with some of its own problems and faults). Ultimately I put more time into Oblivion, but that was probably because it was the first one that I got.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:35 am »

Morrowind just for the mods. Antares big mod is just obscene. Scouts actually take you to minor locations for a fee. Agents actually give you info and help with great house politics. You can actually hire assassins against a selected target. that is just to start

being head of a guild lets you order subordinates around. If patriarch of the temple you can literally order someone executed for heresy and it will bloody happen.

Vanilla morrowind rocks for the customizable outfits, the landscape, the cultures (remember the first time you realized how Telvanni architecture organically excluded the plebs-- can't fly? too bad, go back to farming, serf)

Plotwise i loved Morrowind for the same reason I didn't like Oblvion (except the excellent shivering isles) and enjoyed skyrim. Oblivion makes a bullshit case for the necessity of an emperor my khajiiti and dunmer characters would have never supported or cared for. Just the fact that I couldn't stab that irritating waspy "lord of the known universe" in the face drove me crazy.

Compare to Morrowind's distinct moral ambivalence. Sure, youre the nerevarine messiah, here to save the world! The emperor's spy chief, who certainly has nothing to gain from destabilizing the entrenched temple hierarchy nor destroying the rebellious god-kings and their silly semi-sovereignty said so, so it must be true. You didn't even have to play along (my telvanni certainly didn't- r.i.p. imperial cult and legion, slaughtering you wholesale was...pleasant)

Skyrim goes for something similar (Go with the stormcloaks, save the nords from the evil empire holding the world together, ignore that embassy file on Ulfric being a tormented pawn of the altmer!) and for that they gt major brownie points. 

Now lets get ready to universally hate the mmo
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 05:21:26 am »

I feel, essentially, Morrowind = Skyrim > Oblivion. Oblivion not being very far behind the other two.

Morrowind was absolutely thick with lore and just in general a deep world. Some nostalgia is definitely factoring into this, since I, like many, spent quite a few hours on it, years ago.
Negative points have already been stated before. Combat was less than spectacular compared to the later games.

Skyrim recaptured a lot of the depth of world that Morrowind had. Just try walking somewhere without even considering fast travel (I try to avoid using it entirely), and you'll find the world is pretty interesting. There's actually a fair few things out there that entirely lack map markers. There's also no shortage of interesting quests and questlines. I could probably fill an entire post just on the ones I've experienced, and I still have at least 50% of the game to go!

As for Oblivion, I can't say I've actually done very much in it. But just from what I have played, it does have its faults, and I feel places behind Morrowind and Skyrim for them. Not a bad game by far, but compared to the other two, falls behind.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 05:42:07 am »

Morrowind. It was my first proper RPG game, and I loved it. Then I played Oblivion, and after than I played Morrowind again and loved it even more. I loved that I could do the main quest in more then one way, I loved how you couldn't do every faction because some didn't like eachother, I loved how you couldn't just walk into the mages guild and join it without learning any magic whatsoever, I loved how there was no fast travel and you acutually had to *find* places, I loved how the world was unique, I loved how if I walked into some random cave, I didn't know if I could get through it easily because of level scaling, I just prayed that the monsters inside weren't too hard to kill.

Oblivion was the worst Elder Scrolls game IMO, Morrowind was the best and though Skyrim basically removed attributes, it still felt fun to play, and there was still a feeling that things were dark and creepy and actually had some sort of uniqueness to it, unlike Oblivion.

In all, I prefer Morrowing with both expansions and the latest graphic packs I can get.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 05:47:17 am »

Technically, Skyrim is the better game, hands down. Its engine allows nice, flowing water effects, sun glare and other lighting things among others.

However, Skyrim is totally shallow in the gameplay department, more so than Oblivion. While Oblivion didn't allow you to wield two weapons left and right, it did allow you to enchant anything into them, allowing you to create unique and clever weapons such as the weakness+100 weapons on hit. Skyrim totally restricts any of that, only allowing you to use boring enchantments for weapons, which have little effect against enemies leveled 30 and up. Also, spells in Oblivion actually packed a punch, while in Skyrim, reach Level 30, spells almost reach Scratch Damage quality, excepting a few others.

But Morrowind, and its expansions trump it all, with its masterful writing and lore, and nice gameplay. Too bad Morrowind plays quite slow at the start.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 08:09:13 am »

Scratch Damage

another 30 mins of possible productivity down the drain. at least may working day ends in 1 hour.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 08:17:29 am »

Comparison is strange. Morrowind + 2 expansions and years of patches vs Skyrim base game?

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:26 am »

Comparison is strange. Morrowind + 2 expansions and years of patches vs Skyrim base game?
Unless they completely remove the down dumbing that happened nothing can bring skyrim over morrowind.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 08:37:12 am »

Unless they completely remove the down dumbing that happened nothing can bring skyrim over morrowind.
Opinion stated as fact is still opinion. I'd still prefer to play skyrim or oblivion over morrowind. I would play morrowind remade in Skyrim's engine though.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 08:45:10 am »

Skyrim felt a bit like a hack and slash, couldn't get into Oblivion because of the lackluster main story.
So my vote goes to Morrowind!

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 09:26:28 am »

Definitely Morrowind.

Oblivion and Skyrim did improve in some bits of gameplay, the big one being no more swinging and missing despite connecting (I got killed by a rat the first time playing Morrowind after Oblivion because I couldn't hit anything at all) and having people actual wander around, go into buildings, etc, but the setting just fell completely through and became pretty unoriginal, boring and generic. I mean, try to sum up 90% or so of Morrowind's culture and setting using one Earth culture, you can't. But Oblivion? Medieval. Skyrim? Vikings.

That's the big thing that makes Morrowind so much better than its sequels in my opinion. You had a crazy and unique culture with mushroom dwelling wizards, vaguely desert-architecture-like merchants, crab-shell dwelling warriors, a native religion that had a vaguely Catholic Church-like organization spread throughout the land and wasteland-dwelling nomads. You had varied ruins from the past, Dwemer ruins, Daedric ruins, Dunmer ruins and Velothi towers. It all meshed together to make this really interesting culture that I wanted to learn more about, and really let the Dunmer move away from their origins as the Elder Scrolls' Drow substitute into their own interesting unique people. The writing was also much better, including actually having an interesting villain with motives beyond "Because I'm EVIL", not to mention that what exactly happened at Red Mountain during Nerevar's time isn't ever properly established, leaving some ambiguity that makes it even better. Having no voice acting means you don't end up having to listen to the same five (Oblivion) or ten (Skyrim) voices for everyone, and can put a lot more detail and amount into what people have to say because you don't have to pay a voice actor for each line.

Also the way things have become much more restricted, you've got less spells, less skills, to the point that Skyrim won't even let you make custom spells, meaning the spells in the game become useless after level 20 or so because enemies are too strong for the weak spell-strength. Levelling obviously is also an annoying thing, particularly Oblivion's glass-wearing highwaymen, but also the fact that there's really no big challenge or particular point in looting. All you'll loot is what you're allowed to loot at your level. Quest compasses are annoying, especially since you can't deactivate them (Skyrim's one reactivates the moment you get any sort of quest update) and since people don't give directions at all, you have to use the quest compass to track down a place that's not marked on the map, with no choice in the matter. Cities must be in their own worldspaces, meaning no levitation (levitation was awesome, especially how Telvanni towers were built basically as a 'if you can't cast a basic levitation spell you don't deserve to go see the Master').

Factions have become pretty bad. Skyrim in particular was terrible with factions that didn't feel like they existed outside of their respective guild hall (c'mon, the College I can understand, but the Companions were supposed to be a famous group solving Skyrim's problems and hunting down monsters, why does no one mention them outside of Whiterun?) or had too many randomly-generated quests or generic quests as opposed to actual proper scripted quests (Dark Brotherhood being a big one that irked me, especially considering Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood had the best quests in the game). Going through factions is also too quick, Morrowind had skill requirements before you could be promoted, meaning you actually had to be able to cast spells to get higher in the Mages' Guild or Telvanni. When I got to Archmagister of the Telvanni, I knew I earned it. And of course, factions have pretty much just become a standard 'Mage Faction', 'Fighter Faction', 'Thieves' Guild', 'Dark Brotherhood', as opposed to the bigger diversity and setting-specific factions Morrowind had with the Imperial Cult, Temple, Great Houses, etc, or Daggerfall with its separate Divine Orders and Knightly Orders. Also strongholds. Seriously, they were awesome. You can have your city houses back, having your own stronghold as leader of a Great House was much cooler.

I complain a lot, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy Oblivion or Skyrim. I mean, Oblivion was the first one I played, and I can't really decide if I like it better than Skyrim or not (partly from nostalgia, partly from Skyrim being so restricted and being unstable the moment any mod is added, I swear). I sunk hundreds of hours into both and still enjoy them, but they're definitely worse than Morrowind.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 09:41:43 am »

I feel, essentially, Morrowind = Skyrim > Oblivion. Oblivion not being very far behind the other two.

Morrowind was absolutely thick with lore and just in general a deep world. Some nostalgia is definitely factoring into this, since I, like many, spent quite a few hours on it, years ago.
Negative points have already been stated before. Combat was less than spectacular compared to the later games.

Skyrim recaptured a lot of the depth of world that Morrowind had. Just try walking somewhere without even considering fast travel (I try to avoid using it entirely), and you'll find the world is pretty interesting. There's actually a fair few things out there that entirely lack map markers. There's also no shortage of interesting quests and questlines. I could probably fill an entire post just on the ones I've experienced, and I still have at least 50% of the game to go!

As for Oblivion, I can't say I've actually done very much in it. But just from what I have played, it does have its faults, and I feel places behind Morrowind and Skyrim for them. Not a bad game by far, but compared to the other two, falls behind.

I actually very much like Morrowind and very much like Skyrim. Yes, Skyrim is terribly cliche for an Elder Scrolls game and it was far simplified from the previous games. However, I considered it very fun to play. In fact, in the first 8 or so hours I played, I did not even know about Fast Travel. I had assumed that it would be like Morrowind, so there wouldn't be any fast travel. Furthermore, I had no idea how the carts worked, so I walked everywhere. I remember one memorable journey to Riften from Whiterun, where I decided that I could not pass the river, so I was forced to enter Darkwater Crossing, still fresh in experience. Now that...was interesting. My spellsword Argonian just barely managed to get through alive and on the other side and it required a hell of a lot of saving, sneaking, healing, and care.

In another quest, I trekked all the way from Whiterun through the snowy mountaintops to a location that was near Solitude. Interesting experience and I grabbed a Word along the way.

Honestly? That was completely on par with my experience with Morrowind. For certain areas, yes, they are same-y, especially the plains near Whiterun, but they're about on par with the northern half of Morrowind. God, I hated going to that dry, deserted, barren place. In fact, if I were to compare the two lands, I might actually prefer Skyrim's, just so I don't have to go through the sadness of going through a desolate wasteland for a couple hours. The Urshilaku camp was just terrible. I hated that part. Oh, and not being able to hit a damn mudcrab at the beginning for some characters was pretty annoying.

Although Aequor makes a lot of good points that might sway my opinions.
Also often called Boowells.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:14 am »

I remember with my first adventurer, I teleported to Caldera through the mage guild, stolen a warhammer, and head out exploring. I eventually got into some shrine, it was creepy, but after I saw that nobody is in it, I just stopped sneaking. Then saw a skeleton on an altar, with an 5000 worth glass dagger in his hearth. When I grabbed it instantly dremoras appeared, I had to run a hell lot to survive.

Also the undercity under Mournhold, and you go deeper and deeper, eventually reaching daedric hidden temple. But that is 7 or 10 levels under normal city floor.
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11:05 am »

Voted morrowind because out of the three(did not play daggerfall) it was the only one i enjoyed till the end without having to resort to mods
Oblivion and Skyrim is a superficial gaming experience though Skyrim has a nice world atmosphere.
Main reason is the level scaling which made me feel like there's no point in progressing and in a game which intends for you to go dungeon crawling and where the quests is a bland experience, that does not leave much for me to do.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 10:36:09 am »

*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22