Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Please vote wich game is better (if you played all of them, or know them somewhat well enough) and comment on why did you chose that, thank you.

Morrowind (with Tribunal and Bloodmoon)
- 124 (58.8%)
Oblivion (with Shivering Isles)
- 16 (7.6%)
Skyrim
- 51 (24.2%)
Daggerfall
- 16 (7.6%)
Arena
- 4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls  (Read 55932 times)

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
Re: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 10:56:20 am »

Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 11:01:50 am »

I deleted Skyrim when I met a guy in Whiterun who just kept regenerating to full whenever I tried to kill him (something Greyback) after getting his breath back (when he's invulnerable) and Morrowind's graphics make my head ache (literally), so it's Oblivion for me.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 11:09:23 am »

Towerdude, can you please put your images in spoilers.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 11:28:38 am »

-snip-

just a hint for the future [ spoiler] [/ spoiler]

Anyways...Seen any elves?
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 11:33:50 am »

I dont think that spoilers keep images from loading tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »

At least they don't stretch the page for people with smaller resolutions.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »

Hah, I was one of the two that picked Oblivion...

...I never got shivering isles for oblivion...

If you really liked Oblivion, you should probably play Shivering Isles. It's absolutely delightful.

Anyway, all three games (haven't played Daggerfall, unfortunately) have their high points and their short comings. I still play Morrowind semi-regularly, the others not so much.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 12:48:15 pm »

I gotta say Morrowind, its the first TES I played and the environment is jut so... Alluring, oblivion and skyrim were nice but Morrowind is just somehow magical.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »

I voted Morrowind.

First off, let me say I played Oblivion first, then Morrowind, then Daggerfall, then Skyrim.

Oblivion is a lot of fun as a game, but it has some very bad mechanics (level scaling for example) at the same time. Also copy+paste dungeons. It being my first foray into the series, I still love it despite it's shortcomings. One thing I don't like so much looking back is how "mainstream fantasy" Oblivion went- you've got Minotaurs, imps, mithril armor, etc.

Morrowind is the best one, in my opinion. The locations and enemies were unique, but there were still things you could relate with history (the Empire's obvious Roman influences for example). I liked the diversity of skills and how the weapons skills were broken up into several different things (rather than just Blade and Blunt for example). The weapon variety was also good, with spears, throwing knives and stars, darts, crossbows, katanas, tantos, sabres, etc. I also like the non-leveled loot, and the rarity of high-level loot like Daedric (I recall there is only one full set you can get in the game). The unique items were also fun to collect and almost always had unique models. In Oblivion you had forts, caves, and Akaviri ruins; in Morrowind you had more mysterious and exciting locations like Dwemer ruins and Daedric temples.

Daggerfall is okay, I think. I honestly don't understand why people love it so much. I guess the thing that gets me is that everything is just same-y as a result of most of the content being randomly generated. All the cities look the same, all the people look the same, all the dungeons look the same, etc. A big part of The Elder Scrolls was exploration for me, and interesting exploration is impossible with the boring and drab landscape in Daggerfall. It's almost entirely flat and devoid of content. The only variety came from reskins. All the quests I did involved "go kill this monster in a house" or "go kill this monster in a dungeon". And then the game ultimately just turned into a dungeon crawl with me just going to towns in between to sell loot. For me, it was repetitive and boring after maybe 20 hours of gameplay. I did like the variety of skills, however.

I think Skyrim is good, but I'm disappointed with where they've taken some of the mechanics. I was excited for Fallout-style perks, but got what I think is a pretty crappy system instead. There are barely any skills now as well. I like the carriage fast travel system, but don't like how you can't travel via boat like in Morrowind. I would have preferred mostly non-scaling stuff like Morrowind, but the scaling now is at least better than Oblivion. Magic is generally a disappointment as far as variety goes, but the spells that are in the game do look nice. There are some interesting enemies, but mostly I find I'm just fighting bandits, undead, or Falmer. Dragons were definitely a fun addition, and I think they were done well, but at the same time it can get repetitive. I played this much less than Oblivion or Morrowind, and I think it's because there aren't as many roleplaying opportunities as in previous games. I guess overall I would say it is a good game by itself, but doesn't compare well to Morrowind. I do like how the Empire is more Roman-like again, like it was in Morrowind.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:25:45 pm by The Mechanical Man »
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 01:24:48 pm »

Woops, double post. Sorry about that.
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:58 pm »

Everyone picks morrowind :P

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:36 pm »

I think it's popular to like Morrowind, but I don't think everyone says it's the best just to jump on the bandwagon. I really do think it is the best in the series, and a lot of people seem to agree with that sentiment.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 01:40:58 pm »

I kinda like Morrowind the best because it feels like it works better with my play style. I can do things. I feel that in both oblivion and skyrim you are suppose to do things in certain ways. I actually like oblivion more in pretty much every other way, but the whole, choice of character is such a big thing that I have to go with that.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 03:05:42 pm »

Morrowind, because of the variety of everything, starting from towns, monsters, weapons, weapon types, skills, dungeons, guilds, dialogues... ending to whatever you want. Basically it felt like a much deeper game because it had so many different things in it. Gameplay be damned, Morrowind was never about it. It was about expiriencing the world. I was 10 when I first played it (2003) and I've only gained a level after playing through 3 different characters and loads of hours. That's how much it sucked me in. When I begun I didn't even know how to gain a level, since the game was in russian, and I still loved it.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 03:28:31 pm »

I also love the fact that you can steal items, and sell them to a different store, unlike in Oblivion/Skyrim, where everyone magically knows what belongs to who, and that it was stolen.

Yeah, I was irritated when I realized that I couldn't sell all my pickpocketed gems at stores, and pretty much anything at people's houses was worthless unless it was money or could be used in crafting. So sad, because I had become a savescumming kleptomaniac shortly after I started the game.
Also often called Boowells.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22