Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Stupid Question  (Read 11191 times)

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Question
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 04:49:20 pm »

I get the same thing if  try to download it from the the website. I don't think the LNP has anything to do with it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:52 pm »

You may now have gotten beyond this, thanks to the previous posters, but I'm going to try to add a bit more just in case you haven't.

• Download the game, well, you've done that.
  • Depending on which version of Windows (you haven't so far told us you aren't using Windows, so that's my assumption) and which browser, it may or may not have given you a choice of where it is downloaded.  But if you haven't already I would suggest moving the .ZIP file (may have a modified folder-like icon, if you can't see the extension) to somewhere like the "My Documents" or "Documents" folder that you can easily get to from your standard desktop/start-menu shortcuts.
  • Then right click on this and choose the "Extract" or "Extract All..." or similar link.  If it's the default Windows link (certainly available in WinXP onwards, though maybe under a different name) then it'll open a wizard that, if you just Next Next Next on the defaults will extract "whatever.zip" into a folder called "whatever" and open a window in that folder.  If you've got something third-party (WinZip, WinRAR, whatever) that you've chosen to use to handle this, then you should already be familiar with how it works.
  • If you still need to (not auto-opened by the extraction process, above), now go into the folder that you created, which will be the more 'unadorned' folder icon, if there's no other obvious difference between the .ZIP-file entry in the directory and the extracted version).
  • I've never used the Lazy Newb Pack, so I've no idea how that works, but you can at least now run "Dwarf Fortress.exe" (or so the version I'm looking at right now is called, and you may not have set the ".exe" to be seen), which has, as an icon, the capital letters "D F".  The advice about "Running as an administrator" may be necessary, though I've never found it so, but if it still fails instead of double-clicking, Right Click and there should be a "Run as..."-ish option.
  • With the vanilla setup, you should now be seeing a window with the introductory animation.

Then you just need to work out how the bloomin' thing works.

Seems like such a fun game but yet so complicated...  D:
Yes, and yes.  But I'm sure you'll get into it.  And then you'll be exchanging the words "but yet" with "because its". ;)

Bear in mind that it's being developed as we type...  Very shortly, there'll be minecarts, and (if/)when it gets to version 1.0.01 then, if you've stuck with it, you'll be a seasoned veteran, and either eagerly awaiting version 1.0.02 to fix something, or dreading that your new favouritest bug might be being expunged with the next minor release. ;)

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 05:14:01 pm »

I have windows 7.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 05:19:15 pm »

The problem might be that you haven't extracted the file (I think): instead, you're trying to run DF from inside the archive. You have to use a file extractor to extract DF from the archive first.

See this: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4882.

Good luck! Hope that works for you!

Edit: ninja'd several times  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:21:16 pm by Sunday »

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 07:58:32 pm »

I'm not sure which is more complex, the game or installing it ._.

Btw, what's this vanilla thing?

Got it working, thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:02:43 pm by seristal »

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 09:38:50 pm »

"Vanilla" Dwarf Fortress is the game with no mods.  However, there are plenty of mods out there that make the game harder/easier/more varied.  Check the "DF Modding" forum here when you feel like checking them out.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 02:32:20 am »

When I try to run the Lazy Newb Pack.exe it says "Can not find Dwarf Fortress Directory" and when I try to run Dwarf Fortress it says "The program can't start because fmodex.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." And I've reinstalled it several times =/
Did you install Microsoft .NET 3.5?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:51:48 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 06:11:58 am »

The 'fmodex.dll' error happens when you don't extract the zip file. What icon did the df file have when you first downloaded it?

Is should be something like this:

When I try to run the Lazy Newb Pack.exe it says "Can not find Dwarf Fortress Directory" and when I try to run Dwarf Fortress it says "The program can't start because fmodex.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." And I've reinstalled it several times =/

Are you sure that's required for DF? I didn't think it was a .NET application...
[Signature]

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 07:26:06 am »

he got it working...
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 08:49:41 am »

Is should be something like this:
You've probably got WinRAR installed (or similar), to get that icon.

Default (vanilla!) windows from XP onwards generally has an icon that's like the default folder-icon, for that Windows version, but adorned by a zip:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whereas the WinZip application, when installed, changes the icon to an "in a vice" version of folder, (or filing cabinet, or filing cabinet on/in a folder) as can been seen at http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm.  There are plenty of other programs, so it's a bit like DF tilesets... ;)

Nice to know.

Of course you will have more questions, and we will be here to answer them.  Enjoy.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 01:53:12 pm »

EDIT:
Awesome! Can you enlighten us to what you figured out and what you did to fix it?

Are you sure that's required for DF? I didn't think it was a .NET application...
DF isnt .NET, but Lazy Newb Pack.exe IS
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:56:32 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 04:20:55 pm »

• Then right click on this and choose the "Extract" or "Extract All..." or similar link.  If it's the default Windows link (certainly available in WinXP onwards, though maybe under a different name) then it'll open a wizard that, if you just Next Next Next on the defaults will extract "whatever.zip" into a folder called "whatever" and open a window in that folder.  If you've got something third-party (WinZip, WinRAR, whatever) that you've chosen to use to handle this, then you should already be familiar with how it works.

I had to extract the .zip or whatever.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 04:27:33 pm »

Nice to know you're well on your way.  <shudder>... I said "whatever", a lot, in my instructions, didn't I? ;)

Maybe you've already said something in another thread (I'm not one to cyberstalk), but I'm assuming you're now either:
a) Having fun playing, or
b) Still waiting for your first worldgen to complete... ;)

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 07:04:30 pm »

Right now I'm stilling how to play.

Has anyone ever tamed a hydra?  :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:50:04 pm by seristal »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 08:09:02 pm »

Prior to this latest version (or two?), I would have said you'd have had to go and "edit the raws"[1] or be lucky enough to be able to trade for one 'pre-trained'[2].  But if I understand some of the recent changes, you've got a chance (albeit possibly a very low chance, or else it might be slower to accomplish the end result) of taming absolutely any (non-sentient?) creature that you can get your hands on...

But I've not yet tried this new system, myself.  If you're actually in a position to do so, go ahead.  Or wait for someone to come along and reveal their own spade-work on the subject if you've got other things (metal industry, food production, trading) to try to perfect first.  (Or some other problem or other to survive or, if it's all too much this first time round, learn from for your next attempt!)

[1] If you haven't seen this described, already, there's a lot of player-modifiable content.  Text files where you can add descriptive tags like "[TRAINABLE]" to creatures that don't already have it.  That's a feature that has a forum (the "modding" one) all of its own, if/when you feel like poking into that.

[2] From the elves, who tend to do things like this...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5