Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Sunless Skies: Murder a Sun  (Read 15110 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Sunless Skies: Murder a Sun
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2017, 04:40:35 pm »

This is like arguing with someone who insists the sky is red because blue exists in a color spectrum which also includes red.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2017, 04:44:12 pm »

This is like arguing with someone who insists the sky is red because blue exists in a color spectrum which also includes red.

This is an entirely unfair to me.

Offer something up. Anything... No? I thought so.

I can only keep offering details... But I am not going to write an essay for no reason when I don't even know your position beyond "No".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:46:26 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2017, 04:46:11 pm »

It's okay that we don't agree man, don't take it personally.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2017, 04:49:01 pm »

It's okay that we don't agree man, don't take it personally.

The problem isn't that you do not agree... or that you are not agreeing with me.

But that is the thing... What are you not agreeing with? NOTHING!!! You have no argument or belief... It is just "No"... I can't do anything with that.  I can't offer up anything new because there is nothing I can do beyond writing an essay... because what is Lovecraftian to you? What is Lovecraftian to Nenjin?

And don't do "It is ok"... That is typically used for backhanded comments. "Videogames aren't art, but that is ok"... A sort of patronizing remark typically used as a way to fan flames but comes off completely condescending.

I can be wrong... but this isn't a good argument. You don't even know what I mean on even a fundamental level, I don't know how you feel at all. What is this?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:52:47 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2017, 04:54:43 pm »

You stated that the game 'takes place in ryleh' and has strong lovecraft overtones. I don't think it does. That's pretty much the gist of it, and I think I'm done with this conversation. I don't need to convince you my opinion is correct any more than you need to convince me of yours. I just don't feel the same way about the game. I'm not trying to be insulting or anything.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2017, 04:56:24 pm »

You stated that the game 'takes place in ryleh' and has strong lovecraft overtones. I don't think it does. That's pretty much the gist of it, and I think I'm done with this conversation. I don't need to convince you my opinion is correct any more than you need to convince me of yours. I just don't feel the same way about the game. I'm not trying to be insulting or anything.

And that is fine... and you should have been more clear about that.

Because from my point before now, you weren't trying to meet my halfway and dismissed my arguments out of hand. When really you just weren't engaged at all, didn't care, weren't arguing, and thought differently.

Nenjin is a different story... but I'll ignore the condescension.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:15:36 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2017, 05:27:25 pm »

I was done arguing with you last page. Now I'm just watching the verbal trainwreck happen.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2017, 05:29:04 pm »

I was done arguing with you last page. Now I'm just watching the verbal trainwreck happen.

You never argued in the first place.

But lets see why you are arguing this way

it's not derivative Lovecraft fan fiction crap.

That is your argument for why it isn't Lovecraftian. It is the only thing you offer up. "It doesn't suck"
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:31:05 pm by Neonivek »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2017, 05:38:10 pm »

I kinda feel like someone who knew enough about Lovecraft's work to fairly compare it to other works of fiction would at the very least spell R'lyeh correctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R'lyeh

It's also worth pointing out that there's nothing inherently special about the Neath in-universe.  Similar places crop up everywhere hidden from the light of the Judgements.

I might as well claim it's literally Camelot, throw out a couple of vague similarities in setting and then demand everyone counter them at length.  You're being ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:39:58 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2017, 05:41:09 pm »

I might as well claim it's literally Camelot, throw out a couple of vague similarities in setting and then demand everyone counter them at length.  You're being ridiculous.

-_-

I should state that I am using SPECIFICALLY Ryleh the section of ocean under the ocean. Not Ryleh the palace of Cthulhu. (Since I am not sure the books ever really differentiated between the two)

Catch up to the argument lordcooper.

Also because we have two ENTIRELY SEPERATE debates going on at once

There is still an abyss worth of difference between "it's Lovecraftian" and "IT'S IN R'LYEH!"

So make sure you are stating which you are arguing for... because they are entirely separate.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:44:25 pm by Neonivek »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2017, 05:44:19 pm »

Neo, please just allow people to disagree with your perspective and let them be. They're not required to provide an extensive argument to make use of that right.

PS: In the interest of giving this post more substance, I find Sunless Skies moderately appealing as a concept, but I'm rather wary about its potential execution, considering Sunless Sea didn't have much thought put into its actual game mechanics. The stories were swell and all, but it kind of showed the devs had trouble getting out of their browser game box.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:58:59 pm by Greenbane »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2017, 05:45:54 pm »

Neo, please just allow people to disagree with your perspective. They're not required to provide an extensive argument to make use of that right.

Yes but here is the problem

"I think the sky is red"
"That is ridiculous! It is blue"
"But the sky is red because of X"
"X is ridiculous, you are wrong!"
"But why am I wrong? What does it mean to be blue?"
"Give up you loser! I don't need to say a thing"
"But how am I supposed to even argue if you don't meet me halfway?"
"Man... what a looooser!"
"Ugh!"
"Ohh, and X is wrong!"
"We established that... we wanted to expand so I could say what I mean"
"Your such a loser for arguing X"

At least forsaken1111 was like: "Ohh, I just didn't agree... I didn't actually want to argue".

considering Sunless Sea didn't have much thought put into its actual game mechanics

It definitely had thought but its mechanics became overbearing and they didn't think about how it worked long term. The game very much could turn into a chore.

It is more that the creators probably thought the chore was the gameplay... or at least helped build the atmosphere.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:50:44 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2017, 05:51:33 pm »

Nobody has called you a loser, we've just expressed an opinion contrary to your own. You're the one getting all defensive about it. Perhaps I do see the sky as red, what is it to you? You're trying to draw everyone in to prove you wrong when nobody is much interested in proving you wrong. You've stated your opinion, others have disagreed but declined further argument. I think it's time for us all to move on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2017, 05:53:47 pm »

Nobody has called you a loser

Respectfully disagree.

nobody is much interested in proving you wrong

I just wanted to make a point... But people aren't letting me make one because no one meets me halfway while disrespecting my opinion... and it is unfair to disrespect my opinion while not even letting me show my opinion.

Yeah maybe I do see the sky as red... but this is atrocious.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:55:32 pm by Neonivek »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2017, 05:55:20 pm »

I should state that I am using SPECIFICALLY Ryleh the section of ocean under the ocean. Not Ryleh the palace of Cthulhu. (Since I am not sure the books ever really differentiated between the two)
Where are you pulling this from? AFAIK, R'lyeh only refers to the city. I've never heard it used to any section of ocean.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8