Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Offering steel and Iron to my king - Does it have any game impact apart from RP?  (Read 1270 times)

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Exactly that.

My civ is starved for steel, so i reclaimed a fortress and turned out to be a great iron quarry. So, for roleplaying purposes, I've decided this city's mission is to send the king a yearly tithe of iron and steel bars. But, ¿Does it affect the global game? The caravan never has any steel or iron coming from the mountainhomes, so I assume the warriors there are using bronze and copper, maybe silver for weapons.

¿Will they have steel gear if I give the king steel and iron? ¿Does it mean anything in case they suffer sieges or goblins invasions?

I'm pretty sure it's been discussed already, I cannot be the first one thinking of it, but I didn't find a relevant thread.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All dwarven civs have access to steel gear whether they have access to iron or not. Also I think trading actually having an impact on things outside of your fortress won't really happen till the economy is re-implemented.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's a literal tangible game benefit aside from RP:

It pleases Armok, and as such makes the economy of the Dwarven spirit stronger.

Thank you.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As mentioned, dwarves always have access to the alloys (steel and bronze) regardless of access to the source metals.
As far as I understand, exported trade goods are stored in giant piles (to be seen in adventure mode), but are not otherwise making any impact. Civs are given resources based on what they have access to in the immediate area around the starting location, and that is static, and probably won't change until an economy shifting things gets implemented.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

Even becoming a capital won't have an impact. I would gladly see other examples, but from my own experience it doesn't matter what you give or what you have under your fortress - the caravans trades will be similar, when it comes to resources (they had no iron - they won't have iron). Giving expensive stuff may make the caravans bigger though, at least it seems so in case of elves.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, well then, s'ok.
RP and silly proyects are anyway my reason to keep playing anyway.

But it would have been so great if the mountainhomes had  some kind of external supply and demand system. ¡ I'll wait, I guess !

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

One exception is that the books available are civ-wide, and your dwarves writing new ones expands that list.

Another is supposed to be artifacts you trade, but I haven't checked personally.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit

It may or may not be related, but in adventure mode, I recently saw my queen sporting some of the very expensive rope reed jewelry I traded during fort gameplay. I found that to be totally awesome, especially since she was really looking like a farmer before that.