Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Roll to Trope: Turn 7  (Read 9125 times)

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope: Turn 1
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 06:06:16 pm »

Turn 1: Braggarts and eavesdroppers

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

John 'Warhammer' Jones sat surrounded by a small crowd of locals, all of them listening intently to his every word. "Yeah, and then another one appeared, right behind me, dropped out of a cloud." A story he had told many times before, one of his best. "A lesser pilot would have tried to just get out of there, but I had a job to do, and I never leave something half done. I pulled hard to port, the ship could barely take the strain but I got it out of the line of fire just in time, and the second bogey missed me by a few inches, instead taking down his own comrade. Then it was a simple matter to swing around and blow him out of the sky."

The veteran pilot took a swig of his ale, "I managed to delay the enemy long enough for our fleet to get into position, we won the battle, we won the war." The audience cheered, their memories of when the Empire had tried to invade still fresh, and their memories of the decisive victory won still sweet.

"You're a hero!" a young, rather attractive, and slightly inebriated woman exclaimed.

"No," he pauses to take anoter swig from his mug before finishing, "I just did my job." The audience cheers for him again, and the woman swoons a bit. It seemed that he might not have to sleep alone tonight after all, swooning was always a good sign.

Even as he was telling the tale his focus wasn't entirely on his audience, or the bosom of the inebraited young lady, but instead he constantly scanned the room, keeping an ear and an eye out for anything of interest.

"I am simply a bit worried, that's all," Brother Torir explained to Brother Eindall, "Eyrian isn't usually one to be late, and he should have returned a full two days ago."

Eindall thoughtfully chewed on a piece of bread. "True, but I heard from some sailors that the weather up north has been a bit foul lately, and he was planning to return by airship. They probably just had to delay for a few days to wait out the worst of it."

"I hope you're right," Torir answered, unconvinced, and scooped up another spoonful of lentil soup from his bowl. "I would hate for anything to happen to Eyrian, he is a good man."

Eindall broke into a smile, "Ah, always the pessimist, my friend. Look there." He pointed at the door, through which an old man wearing dusty white robes had just entered. "I told you there was no reason for worry."

The two waved to their comrade, who came over and took a seat with them. "Torir, Eindall, it's so good to see you. And here I was fearing that I might have no one to speak to during supper!"

"Perish the thought," Torir replied with a smile.

"Oh, yes, and before I forget, I ran into a woman who asked me to give this to you," he handed over a small amulet to Torir, a simple dove made of copper, "She said her name was Camile and that she wanted you to have this for helping her daughter."

Torir examined the amulet, "I appreciate the thought, but I don't know if I can accept this. I should probably return it to her."

"Come now, that would be insulting to the poor lass. Besides, what harm could there be in accepting a small trinket from a grateful mother? You are far too serious for your own good."

"I suppose there would be no harm in keeping it," Torir replied and put it in his robes, "But now you must tell us of your pilgrimage, Eyrian."

The older priest started talking, and the other two listened with great interest.

Ironicus Owl was in a foul mood tonight, and was brooding quite menacingly in the darkest corner of the tavern. And as usual an intangible voice in the back of his mind urged him to murder everyone in sight, the same voice that had talked to him ever since he found the scythe.

He ignored the voice and motioned towards a barmaid, wanting another pint brought over. But as soon as the woman noticed him looking at her she looked deathly afraid and ran into the kitchen with great haste. A few seconds later she came back out, carrying a flagon of mead, quickly navigating to his table and putting it down before rushing back to the kitchen.

He didn't even like mead, and this did further foul his mood.

Sergeant Frelock kept a watchful eye on his men to make sure that they didn't bother the local women again and ordered in another cup of tea from the tavernkeeper Devlin.

"Most excellent," he said when Devlin brought in a steaming cup of tea, "thank you."

Devlin took the coins he offered, thanking him, and then leaned forward, resting his elbows on the countertop. "What brings the king's soldiers all the way down here, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Routine patrol," the sergeant replied, taking a sip from his cup, "we're mostly here to make sure that people know that we are ready to protect them at any time." He put the cup down before continuing, "This seems like a peaceful town, but if there is any trouble around here I would like to know so I could help."

Devlin scratched his chin, "Trouble? Well, not much goes on around here. I know Kirkwall, that farmer over there, had some trouble with rats on his farm, but some adventurous young fellow came by and dealt with it. So I guess we're mostly untroubled here."

"Mostly?"

"There are rumors of dark creatures moving in the woods to the south, vampires and trolls and such, but those are just old wives' tales," Devlin spoke as if he felt that anyone who believed these tales was a complete moron. "There's nothing dangerous out there other than the occasional highwayman, and we haven't seen one of them in nearly two years now."

The sergeant took another sip of tea, "It might still be worth investigating. We are here to make people feel safe after all."

Devlin looked like he might continue the conversation, but was distracted by one of the barmaids running into the kitchen, looking quite scared. So he excused himself and followed her, leaving the sergeant with his tea and his soldiers.

As Devlin headed for the kitchen several people nearby considered what he had said, having listened in on the conversation and now considering what had been said, either wondering if they might somehow help or if they could profit from it in some way.

Environment: The tavern is filled with people. Smoke hangs in the air, songs are sung and mugs slammed together with cheer. It is getting dark outside.

Locations:
Spoiler: Dullhaven (click to show/hide)

Vehicles:
Spoiler: The Bushwacker (click to show/hide)

Player Statuses:

Quote from: dermonster
Name: Unus Dermonster
Race: Human
Health: Excellent
State: Standing
Equipment: Magical Sword (right hand); Clothes
Spoiler: Inventory: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities: (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Frelock
Name: Sergeant Frelock
State: Gentlemanly
Equipment: Flintlock Pistol (left hand); Sabre (right hand); Army Uniform
Quote from: Warhammer 651
Name: John 'Warhammer' Jones
State: Sitting
Equipment: Cutlass (right hand); Leather Coat
Quote from: Nirur Torir
Name: Brother Torir
Equipment:Magical Staff (right hand); White Robes
Quote from: IronyOwl
Name: Ironicus Owl
State: Brooding
Equipment:Magical Scythe (right hand); Black armor

Here it is, tell me if you find any errors.
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »

Tentatively ask the guardsmen if they are going to try to confront the night terrors down south. Offer to join them in a roundabout way, citing that I know the area better than they do, having wandered there occasionally in my early years.

I don't know much, sir. But there are shapes that I barely saw, sometimes. The mist is always heavy in the area. I know the ground well, though.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:25:04 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 07:54:18 pm »

politely excuse myself from the crowd and offer my services to the ground pounders

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:00:33 pm by warhammer651 »
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:11 pm »

Stand in front of barkeep on his way to kitchen.

"What's this about dangerous creatures?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 01:03:53 am »

Turning to Unus, he responds, We're always in the mood for company, though I'm afraid that my patrol does not have any funds on hand with which to pay you.  But you seem like a decent chap who knows his way with a sword.  If there is trouble that you help us out with, I assure you I will do my best to see you get rewarded for your work; it may have to wait until my next patrol before it can be delivered, or you could come with us to the next guard post.  No guarantees if this turns out to be a wild goose chase, however.  What do you say, my boy?  Yes?  Excellent.  By the way, do you know anything more about these old wives tales?  He listens intently to Unus's relpy.  When Devlin returns, he asks My, my, is the poor girl alright?  Anyhow, on to what we were discussing earlier.

Ask Devlin for more information on these creatures, or who would know more about them.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 10:17:54 am »

After their story, I excuse myself. I haven't done any major "community service" in over two years, and if the sergeant is planning on hunting dangerous creatures, my skills could be greatly beneficial.

"Terribly sorry, but I couldn't help but overhear. May this priest of Pideus be of service to the king's soldiers?"

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 04:44:18 pm »

Of course!  The more the merrier, I say.  It will be a jolly good trip out to the forests and back.  And you never know when having the minister about will help, wot wot.

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Trope: Turn 2
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 08:40:46 pm »

Turn 2: Crowding

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Sergeant Frelock sat in silence, considering what the tavernkeeper had said about creatures in the woods. After a moment of consideration he decided that the very vague 'south' wasn't good enough and that he should inquire as to where these creatures were seen most often, to narrow his search down a little.

"Excuse me, sir," a voice spoke behind him, and he turned to face the one addressing him, "I overheard that you were going to the southern woods to rid them of evil. I know that area well, I used to wander them in my youth, and I could probably help you find your way."

The one who spoke was a young man, probably not more than twenty years old. But despite his youth there seemed to be something special about him, an intangible energy seeming to emanate from him as if he was somehow special, chosen. And the way he moved, as well as the exquisite blade at his side, seemed to indicate that he knew how to hold his own in a fight. There could be no harm in bringing him along, Frelock decided.

After having gone over the situation in his head the sergeant responded, "We're always in the mood for company, though I'm afraid that my patrol does not have any funds on hand with which to pay you. But you seem like a decent chap who knows his way with a sword. If there is trouble that you help us out with, I assure you I will do my best to see you get rewarded for your work; it may have to wait until my next patrol before it can be delivered, or you could come with us to the next guard post. No guarantees if this turns out to be a wild goose chase, however. What do you say, my boy? Yes? Excellent. By the way, do you know anything more about these old wives tales?"

The young man thought for a second, "I don't know much, sir. But there are shapes that I barely saw, sometimes. The mist is always heavy in the area. I know the ground well, though."

"Excellent, I'm certain that your knowledge of the area will be quite handy," Frelock said.

He was again addressed by an unfamiliar voice, "Terribly sorry, but I couldn't help but overhear. May this priest of Pideus be of service to the king's soldiers?"

A priest, most likely from the local chapel, stood before him. And he carried a magical staff, so he wasn't just a normal priest, he was a cleric, and it was always good to have someone along to help the wounded.

He replied with enthusiasm, "Of course! The more the merrier, I say. It will be a jolly good trip out to the forests and back. And you never know when having the minister about will help, wot wot."

The priest nodded his head, "Thank you, I'll do my best to help you and your men should anything unfortunate happen."

The innkeeper came back from the kitchen, an annoyed expression on his face, and the sergeant called him over. "My, my, is the poor girl alright? Anyhow, on to what we were discussing earlier. "

Devlin sighed heavily, "She was spooked by one of the customers, and now she refuses to come back out of the kitchen, silly girl... What we were discussing?" He scratches his chin, "Oh, right, the rumors about monsters in the woods. Well, if you really want to look into that I'd say you should try to find the loggers' camp, they went back into the woods last week, those men probably spend more time there than anyone else. I'm afraid that's all the help I can offer."

"You've been quite the help, here," Frelock hands over a few coppers, "for your trouble."

Devlin smiles at the extra income, "It was no trouble really, but if you'll excuse me I have to go and try to get Melinda out of the kitchen, maybe she'll have calmed down a little by now."

A loud, angry voice suddenly shouted, "GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU DAMNED FOOLS, I HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO!" and everyone turned to see what the commotion was about. There was a very angry man pushing his way through a small crowd that surrounded him, and a young lady who clung to him to stop him from leaving. With a sudden shove he sent a man who had the misfortune of being in his way tumbling over a table, sending both the man and the table crashing to the ground. The mugs and platters on the table likewise crashed to the floor, causing quite a mess and even more commotion.

The man approached the small group that had gathered around the sergeant and his men, "John 'Warhammer' Jones," he introduced himself, "I heard that you were going out to slay some beasties, and I am willing to help you for a small fee. I think you'll find that I am quite useful, should you make the wise choice to bring me along."

The sergeant looked at the man dismissively, he disapproved strongly of the sort of behavior that this 'Warhammer' person had just displayed. "And why would I want you along?"

"I'm the best damn pilot this side of the capital, and a damn fine swordsman too," Warhammer replied, obviously not ashamed of bragging about his own accomplishments. "And if that's not enough for you, I also have my own airship."

Having access to rapid transportation would be useful, he had to admit that, and sometimes one had to ignore what the heart said and think solely with the brain. "Very well, if you help us I'll see to it that you get paid for it, but if there's nothing out there you won't get anything."

Warhammer shrugged, "Seems fair enough, we have a deal then."

The sergeant didn't look all that pleased with this, he didn't like relying on mercenaries, and certainly not one who was so lacking in manners. Before he could reflect more on it he noticed someone stop Devlin on his way to the kitchen. A man clad in black armor, carrying a large scythe, and not looking very happy, altogether not a pleasant individual. The man and the innkeeper traded a few words, and then Devlin pointed in his direction. The man walked over to him, "The innkeeper said that you were the one to talk to regarding night creatures."

Environment: The tavern is filled with people. Smoke hangs in the air, songs are sung and mugs slammed together with cheer. It is getting dark outside.

Locations:
Spoiler: Dullhaven (click to show/hide)

Vehicles:
Spoiler: The Bushwacker (click to show/hide)

Player Statuses:

Quote from: dermonster
Name: Unus Dermonster
State: Standing
Equipment: Magical Sword (right hand); Clothes
Quote from: Frelock
Name: Sergeant Frelock
State: Gentlemanly
Equipment: Flintlock Pistol (left hand); Sabre (right hand); Army Uniform
Quote from: Warhammer 651
Name: John 'Warhammer' Jones
Equipment: Cutlass (right hand); Leather Coat
Quote from: Nirur Torir
Name: Brother Torir
Equipment:Magical Staff (right hand); White Robes
Quote from: IronyOwl
Name: Ironicus Owl
State: Brooding
Equipment:Magical Scythe (right hand); Black armor
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 10:04:32 pm »

Try to sober up. ask about what these creatures are rumored to be capable of and keep an eye out for possible ambushes

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 10:08:30 pm »

Um. Okay. Not really a whole lot of options here. but that's to be expected in the opening rounds.

Voice my minor dislike of Scythe guy having anything to do with us, but make it clear that I would not be completely against having his help, as long as he stays at least ten feet away at all times.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010, 10:15:55 pm »

Waiting listitize me, cap'n!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 02:02:08 pm »

Sneer at the boy, reminding him that weaklings should slink in the shadows of their betters.

Sneer at the sergeant, asking him if he's organizing this pathetic little band to go kill things or not.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 02:10:46 pm »

Frown at the evil one, but hold my tongue - for now.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 05:34:55 pm »

Well now...I never...  For your information, my good sir, we are going to investigate in order to sooth the minds of the populace.  We are not simply going out to "kill things" as you suggest.  These other chaps I'm happy to have accompany us, as they all appear to be, if not gentlemen, he says with a quick glance in Warhammer's direction, at least useful and willing to help.  If you wish to investigate the woods on your own, you are welcome to do so, but you'll have no help from me.  I'll have no ruffians aboard this crew, and certainly no insulting thugs.  Good day sir.

Get the team together, and head on out. (Only accept scythe guy if he apologizes for his rude behavior)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 09:47:45 pm »

*Glances at scythe dude*
Heh, you and I are gonna get along juuust fine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7