Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 337418 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1065 on: November 11, 2011, 04:28:58 pm »

Sean, that's still a spoiler!

Oh, well.
It's not if you don't mention that it is.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: November 11, 2011, 06:21:46 pm »

Welp, finally read through the entire topic's posts. Good times, didn't help much tho.

Anyway, is there any way to control how much a creature needs to eat/drink per week or season?

EDIT: Also, I've heard (but am not sure) that dwarves get a craving for more diverse foodstuff as time passes which you'll have to provide otherwise they'll get unhappy. Is this possible to edit as well?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:37:53 pm by Vandala »
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: November 11, 2011, 08:24:44 pm »

I don't think it's possible to mod the preference for a diverse diet.  As far as I know there is no way to mod the amount of food / drink required for a creature either.  If it varies at all, it's probably strictly due to the creature's size.  Although grazers can have this modded, so maybe I'm wrong.  My experience seemed to be that ponies ate and drank more than dwarves, but I now believe I was just confused by FPS differences compared to my last actual dwarven fort.

Anyway, the magic of friendship is starting to rise in my fort now that I've gotten lazy about keeping the ponies busy.  Celestia made 3 friends in a single season despite being reserved socially.  Her friends aren't going to like it after I atom smash her for killing another pony in jail.  Seriously, she's jailed about 6 or 7 ponies during her reign of terror and half of them died (which is partially my fault.  I have a food / drink stockpile down there but apparently not all of the prisoners could reach it).

The last one to die even showed up in her thoughts list.  I can only imagine that she marched down to the jail and watched him die of thirst.  She's demented.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: November 11, 2011, 10:20:58 pm »

The last one to die even showed up in her thoughts list.  I can only imagine that she marched down to the jail and watched him die of thirst.  She's demented.

Well, she is a sun god, after all. Making people die in her radiance comes with the territory.

Not all gods of fire and light are good, after all. How do you think a desert nomad feels about cooking under the ever-present orb of fire and light for most of the day?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 11, 2011, 10:54:55 pm »

Another question.

Is this mod considered a total conversion mod or is it not there yet? Is there the aim to be one?

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 11, 2011, 11:12:53 pm »

Another question.

Is this mod considered a total conversion mod or is it not there yet? Is there the aim to be one?
It's a mostly conversion mod, not everything of course, but quite a LOT so far.
IMHO, I just like the ponies alone though.. :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:49 pm »

Unfortunately it's nigh impossible to have a "total" conversion in DF, since so many things are still hardcoded. It's getting better by the version though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: November 11, 2011, 11:41:49 pm »

Yet more questions.

Am I right to assume the name for the evil pony civ (Diomedian) was inspired by the Diomedes myth? (Diomedes is a hero of the Trojan War in Greek mythology.)

I don't understand where the name of the pony race/caste "keshi" comes from though.

Also, why the hell is "shadowbolt" a race/caste?

And do I even wanna know where the "tentacle" ponies came from or did someone just say; "fuck unicorns, have a tentacle on your face!"

More so, are buffalo mixed with anything like native american legend/myth or does their stuff just come from the cartoon show? (where does their winged version come from or is this just another case of
, fuck it, we need winged buffalo?)

===

Now for something else. Is it possible to create two separate raw files (or however it's called) for how towns and such are named or are these included in the creature definitions? How are these linked with the civilizations? (I hope this is a clear question, I'm not sure how to ask it.)

((I'm not requesting for this to be done, I'm just wondering if it can be done.))
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:44:15 pm by Vandala »

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: November 12, 2011, 01:29:34 am »

would have to get Nido for a offical answer, but I believe that some of the castes are based on horselike creatures in vanilla, with "shadowbolt" being a conveinent name for the 'evil' flier caste

I think the site names are assembled from the permitted symbols in the entity file.

Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: November 12, 2011, 01:50:23 am »

Well, she is a sun god, after all. Making people die in her radiance comes with the territory.

Not all gods of fire and light are good, after all.

Yeah, clearly DF subscribes to the whole Celestia is a tyrant thing.  She's been continuously freaking out about how one of my guards has a nice tomb.  She finally tantrumed and killed Spitfire by first spearing her lung with her pick, then repeating with her skull.  I forgot Celestia was one of my miners before she was my baroness, then countess then duchess.  Oops.

It was pretty odd though.  No matter how much I ignored her misery, she never went insane.  Not even after the ghost of the dead unicorn in the jail came back to haunt her, after she'd been miserable for the better part of a year and threw many tantrums.  She never went insane.  She only killed Spitfire and roughed up an apple ent in the dining hall.  I'm sure if I'd been trying to prevent her going insane, she'd have done it immediately.

Anyway, I decided I'd implement a little justice of my own, since she wasn't punished for the murder.  One drawbridge later and she's out of her misery and my hair.

I was going to mod the game and appoint Luna in her place as duchess... but apparently she died of thirst atop a wall down in the magma pump chambers during the whole mess.  Ah well, more fodder for dead pony comics.  Just Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle left.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 12, 2011, 04:52:54 am »

Ehm... I require assistance. :/
Somehow, these things happened:

-All the Dark Voice creature castes somehow have all the tissues in their bodies made of hard materials, including the fat, muscle, organs etc. At the same time, the creatures using the same coding (wild tyraponies, Blade Pony castes) have normal tissues, and the only ones that are hard are the ones that should be (bones, hooves, horns, claws, chitin).
-Also, somehow the name for the Dark Voice entity in worldgen is "Infested Ponies" (it's the name of a caste) and all the Dark Voice creatures are represented by an 'i' (like that caste).

Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Entity (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:57:41 am by Valikdu »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 12, 2011, 04:58:47 am »

I'll get back on this, after I eat. Meanwhile, is there a chance you're using some kind of hard material?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 12, 2011, 05:02:34 am »

I am using a custom material template for the chitin/bones/etc.

Spoiler: like this (click to show/hide)

It shouldn't be affecting the other tissues, right? It doesn't in my other  creatures, at least (who have the same coding)

Spoiler: like this one (click to show/hide)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 12, 2011, 05:18:12 am »

Am I right to assume the name for the evil pony civ (Diomedian) was inspired by the Diomedes myth? (Diomedes is a hero of the Trojan War in Greek mythology.)

Diomedian comes from the Mares of Diomedes, otherwise known as the Thracian Mares, a man-eating bunch of horses that Hercules was tasked with taming.

I don't understand where the name of the pony race/caste "keshi" comes from though.

Keshi is horse demon from Hindu mythology, I used him over, say, Slepnir, because he seemed to be a "pure" horsey demon.

Also, why the hell is "shadowbolt" a race/caste?

I was going to call them vampire ponies originally, and have them turn their prey into shadowbolts, but when that didn't work out I just made them all "darkbolts", because I hadn't seen the episode in a while, then changed them to shadowbolts when I realised my derp. I did have an idea a while back of making more powerful subtypes of various castes, like having basic pegasi/vampire ponies, and a rarer wonderbolt/shadowbolt variant that was faster, or unicorns with horns that were subdivided into two or three grasping parts so show the level of dexterity we often see Rarity using, but I figure everything's confusing enough as it is.

And do I even wanna know where the "tentacle" ponies came from or did someone just say; "fuck unicorns, have a tentacle on your face!"

Yup, pretty much, fits the demonic theme better. Someone did have an idea a while back about making them more like the "actual" Mares of Diomedes rather than just regular ponies with goatees,

More so, are buffalo mixed with anything like native american legend/myth or does their stuff just come from the cartoon show? (where does their winged version come from or is this just another case of
, fuck it, we need winged buffalo?)

Partly, yes, it's a matter of giving them the same diversity other species have, but the colour schemes of the eagle buffalo are based on bald and golden eagles, which are quite important in the mythology and rituals of Native Americans who live within the buffalo's ranges. The sacred flying buffalo are based loosely on the thunderbird and white buffalo myths.

Now for something else. Is it possible to create two separate raw files (or however it's called) for how towns and such are named or are these included in the creature definitions? How are these linked with the civilizations? (I hope this is a clear question, I'm not sure how to ask it.)

Town naming comes from entity files, specifically the flavour settings. You can use [CULL_SYMBOL:SITE:symbol_token] to disqualify all words from a certain sym set(you can check or alter these in language_SYM.txt), and use [SELECT_SYMBOL:SITE:symbol_token] to make them name more town, castles, roads that way.

Valikdu, you're using several body detail plans one after the other, they overwrite each other. I suggest you make body detail plans specifically for your creatures, especially since you're using them over and over.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 12, 2011, 05:24:37 am »

Ehm... I require assistance. :/
Somehow, these things happened:

-All the Dark Voice creature castes somehow have all the tissues in their bodies made of hard materials, including the fat, muscle, organs etc. At the same time, the creatures using the same coding (wild tyraponies, Blade Pony castes) have normal tissues, and the only ones that are hard are the ones that should be (bones, hooves, horns, claws, chitin).
-Also, somehow the name for the Dark Voice entity in worldgen is "Infested Ponies" (it's the name of a caste) and all the Dark Voice creatures are represented by an 'i' (like that caste).

Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Entity (click to show/hide)

Let's get the easy ones out of the way.

The infested pony issue happens because the [NAME] tag is not a caste level tag. Stick to [CASTE_NAME] instead. The same thing happens to the [CREATURE_TILE:i] issue. The others in the raws that had [NAME] and [CREATURE_TILE] defined were omitted because they weren't the last caste in the list. Since your last caste down there is 'infested ponies', the race is called 'infested pony', because of the [NAME] tag.

Next, I've noticed that the other castes, excluding the infectees have no color and appearance designators assigned. Only the aforementioned infectee caste has those tags.

Moving on, I don't see any errors in the hard-as-iron materials, except that they are used as chitin, which covers the fat and other layers. Are you sure the attacks stabbed straight through the zerglings, or did they just glance away because of the metallic chitin?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 140