Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The first stressed dwarf in years  (Read 10418 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The first stressed dwarf in years
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 09:33:59 am »

Haha the nostalgia of fort wide depression.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 05:10:02 pm »

This update sounds wonderful!!! I would love for stress to come back to being a meaningful concern!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 05:20:30 pm »

What do you mean "would"? The update is out. Download and enjoy. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

MrSelfDestruct

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 20 Mountain Dwarf Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 07:59:34 pm »

The buildup of stress seemed to be mostly due to nausea from the sun.

I think I found our new DF Wiki quote.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:26:35 am by MrSelfDestruct »
Strike the Earth!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 08:27:17 am »

The quote's by me, not Leonidas.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MrSelfDestruct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 09:27:28 am »

The quote's by me, not Leonidas.

Yeah, the selection system for quotes confuses the hell outta me because I'm a C++ coder, not some markup monkey. I just changed the name, the time is still wrong but whatever  ;)
Strike the Earth!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 09:34:51 am »

Yeah, the selection system for quotes confuses the hell outta me because I'm a C++ coder, not some markup monkey. I just changed the name, the time is still wrong but whatever  ;)
Shouldn't you be used to nested blocks and corresponding parentheses? Save the first quote tag, delete everything up to and including the second-to-last quote tag.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MrSelfDestruct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2018, 11:39:48 am »

Shouldn't you be used to nested blocks and corresponding parentheses? Save the first quote tag, delete everything up to and including the second-to-last quote tag.

I am used to those, but for some reason markup confuses me incredibly. I think it's because it's almost never organized nor am I allowed to see context colours. I have grown used to those.
Strike the Earth!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 06:44:53 am »

Axedwarf 3 of my backup squad is tantrumming. This could be dangerous. Wonder what's up with him? He's not been in the military long, most action he's seen is watching a bunch of elves get killed by a bunch of dwarf visitors. Where's your discipline, man?

"He is a coward, completely overwhelmed by fear when confronted with danger. He becomes completely helpless in stressful situations..."

Note to self: Check thoughts page before equipping 'problem' dwarves with deadly steel.  :o

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 07:29:55 am »

Axedwarf 3 of my backup squad is tantrumming. This could be dangerous. Wonder what's up with him? He's not been in the military long, most action he's seen is watching a bunch of elves get killed by a bunch of dwarf visitors. Where's your discipline, man?

"He is a coward, completely overwhelmed by fear when confronted with danger. He becomes completely helpless in stressful situations..."

Note to self: Check thoughts page before equipping 'problem' dwarves with deadly steel.  :o
Hm, one would have thought that he'd be completely harmless even with deadly steel, if he'd go completely helpless. I guess tantrum anger trumps confrontation paralysis...
I'd probably try to set him on military training to build up discipline, though, but might consider setting up an adjustment squad. This is assuming you can calm the bugger down to get out of tantruming, though.
This might also call for library censorship to ensure only suitable values changing books are read, with the harmful ones kept out of the reach of the buggers.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 07:35:37 am »

Hm, one would have thought that he'd be completely harmless even with deadly steel, if he'd go completely helpless. I guess tantrum anger trumps confrontation paralysis...
I'd probably try to set him on military training to build up discipline, though, but might consider setting up an adjustment squad. This is assuming you can calm the bugger down to get out of tantruming, though.
This might also call for library censorship to ensure only suitable values changing books are read, with the harmful ones kept out of the reach of the buggers.
Yeah, he should be OK with a bit more training. Going insane while holding a steel axe probably isn't too safe though. Think I'll retire him for now.

He was getting some good thoughts from learning about striking though and he seems to feel nothing watching dogs and cats die, so he made some progress.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2018, 09:58:23 am »

A discovery: dwarf gets positive thought when they put on "an exceptional item", which is a bronze helm, part of his uniform. Good quality equipment makes dwarf happy.

Edit: After a winter and half of a spring, Edyom went insane... It's melancholy.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:01:39 am by §k »
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2018, 11:14:08 am »

As glorious as I think having to care about my dwarves feelings again is, I think this balance may have gone a bit far. I have a thriving fort with every good and pleasant thing a dwarf could want in it. I killed ten goblins two years ago, lost a Dwarf doing it, then cleaned up the bodies. A couple trolls attacked from the caverns.  One doofus drank himself to death in the middle of the tavern. My fort teeters on the brink of collapse with a third of the population flashing red arrows, tantrums common, and borderline terminal insanity breaking out all over the place. 

Almost every Dwarf in the fort has every single long term memory occupied by either watching goblins die or seeing dead goblins. Those memories are so strong they aren't getting replaced so my whole fort is constantly getting hammered with tons of negative thoughts. Even some stress-resistant Dwarves in my military are feeling the strain.

As far as I can tell there are only two things holding it together. First, my mayor has great social skills and likes helping people; there is a line out his office door for a chance to yell at/cry on him. He's brought several back from the brink of terminal insanity and is keeping many others moving.  Second, I've turtled through the next two sieges because even if I won the fight I'd still lose the fort.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 02:57:38 pm »

As glorious as I think having to care about my dwarves feelings again is, I think this balance may have gone a bit far. I have a thriving fort with every good and pleasant thing a dwarf could want in it. I killed ten goblins two years ago, lost a Dwarf doing it, then cleaned up the bodies. A couple trolls attacked from the caverns.  One doofus drank himself to death in the middle of the tavern. My fort teeters on the brink of collapse with a third of the population flashing red arrows, tantrums common, and borderline terminal insanity breaking out all over the place. 

Almost every Dwarf in the fort has every single long term memory occupied by either watching goblins die or seeing dead goblins. Those memories are so strong they aren't getting replaced so my whole fort is constantly getting hammered with tons of negative thoughts. Even some stress-resistant Dwarves in my military are feeling the strain.

As far as I can tell there are only two things holding it together. First, my mayor has great social skills and likes helping people; there is a line out his office door for a chance to yell at/cry on him. He's brought several back from the brink of terminal insanity and is keeping many others moving.  Second, I've turtled through the next two sieges because even if I won the fight I'd still lose the fort.

Yepp the "seeing dead body" thoughts are way too strong. Those thoughts alone are the reason why the system is imbalanced right now.
They should only happen when the dead body is a dwarf or a citizen of your fort. That would balance the system completely. I don't think dwarves should give a single fuck about dead goblins, elves or humans.

Here's the emotions list and their strengths btw: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Emotion

The strongest happy thoughts (-1's) are

Adoration    -1
Bliss            -1
Delight    -1
Joy            -1
Jubilation    -1
Love       -1
Lust            -1
Rapture    -1

You need one of these to become a long-term memory to overwrite the dead bodies atm. Everything below (-2 to -8) are not strong enough to overwrite -1's. Easiest way to do it is by creating temples to pray in to get the enraptured emotion ingrained in their brains. But the other -1's are very hard to get, some like love and lust require social relationships (which don't form properly atm since socialization is bugged) and the others like adoration, bliss etc may require RNG like having a child or talking with a child etc.

Compare it with the worst negative thoughts

Agony    1
Anguish    1
Despair    1
Fear            1
Horror    1
Misery    1
Panic    1
Rage            1
Shaken    1
Shock    1
Terror    1
Wrath        1

It is way easier to get stuff like Rage (argument in a tavern, happens constantly) and horror, panic and shaken (getting attacked in a tavern brawl, or seeing a body).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 03:03:07 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2018, 03:19:33 pm »

We should start seeing fell moods and macabre moods with the amount of unhappy dwarves present.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6