Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686037 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Of Farts and Bathtubs]
« Reply #750 on: September 02, 2014, 03:09:02 pm »

I don't think the mass is the problem there; is it not that in the clarified version of the question we don't know the angle of the slope itself (only the angle between the force and the slope)?  I think you'd need the angle of the slope to calculate the height change. 

If you had that I think you could then use trig to calculate mg as the vertical component of the 300N (assuming a frictionless slope and constant speed).

I may have that all totally wrong though, as I say it's been a long time.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 02, 2014, 03:29:58 pm »

Edit: Nevermind, just realized that we don't have the object's mass.

Don't we?

Fy = F*sin 40 = m*g because it's moving upwards at a constant speed

So m = (F*sin 40/g)

Wtotal = Wx + Wy

Wtotal = F*cos 40*S*cos 40 + F*sin 40*S*sin 40 = F*S*(cos2 40 + sin2 40) = F*S = 90000 for S - distance, assuming it is given for slope

If it is = Sx:

Wtotal = S*F*cos 40 + F*sin 40*S*ctg 40 = 137888 rounded up from 7.999

Did I miss something here? I probably did :3
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 02, 2014, 03:40:54 pm »

Yeah, I wanted the mass to calculate the energy, and you used that energy to obtain the mass :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 03, 2014, 09:46:52 am »

how much erdnuss would i need to put in a corn chip before i can legally call the chip a corn-flavored erdnuss chip for retail purposes

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 03, 2014, 06:10:38 pm »

how much erdnuss would i need to put in a corn chip before i can legally call the chip a corn-flavored erdnuss chip for retail purposes
Silly LSP, you can't call something "corn-flavored" if it already has real corn in it.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 03, 2014, 06:22:37 pm »

Corn flavored corn? Corn flavored corn studded with spikes of minced corn?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 03, 2014, 06:30:39 pm »

Silly LSP, you can't call something "corn-flavored" if it already has real corn in it.
Sure you can? It'd just have to taste like corn. Well. Maybe not even then. It's a fuzzy thing, advertising, and they have special words for what most people call "Lying out your ass" that somehow makes blatant deception not false advertisement.

Also, isn't erdnuss... peanuts? Technically you wouldn't need any actual peanut in the corn chip, just peanut flavoring. Which they have that via peanut butter and whatnot. Not sure the exact ratio, but I heavily doubt there is one. Just... some. Enough you can taste it. Or enough you can claim it as part of your ingredient list and say it's peanut flavored, even if it really isn't.

Least that's more or less how it seems to go in the states. Consult someone who actually knows advertising law for your specific area, LSP. It varies from region to region.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 04, 2014, 04:48:10 am »

What area are you from, anyway? I know Western Europe, and I know a couple of countries you're not from, but...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 04, 2014, 07:42:20 am »

What area are you from, anyway? I know Western Europe, and I know a couple of countries you're not from, but...

well if you have to know, i live on the same street as mech#4

don't tell them though

i'm yet to fuck their eyes up so they have to wear glasses like the rest of their family

totes legit m7a1r3 toronto

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 07, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »

Does anyone know how media changes after a big war? Videogames would be good, but any examples are good. I'm thinking mainly of wars that involve the populace rather deeply, so while changes in America media after 9/11 would be a good example, changes in American media after Iraq I wouldn't be so interested in.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 07, 2014, 03:32:36 pm »

Try getting your hands on George Orwell's collected writings (may be on Project Gutenberg). The part after '45 may be what you're looking for, especially since Orwell was both completely undogmatic and piercingly accurate in his writing.
The Bay12 postcard club

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 07, 2014, 03:59:09 pm »

Some of his essays are up on Gutenberg. You and the Atomic Bomb is especially enlightening, considering the theme of "democratic weapons and tyrannical weapons" which is very appropriate for what I need the info for.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 07, 2014, 04:03:25 pm »

The idea has been disproven by our current day and age, though: The main weapons are the rifle and the IED, and yet democracy is receding.
The Bay12 postcard club

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 07, 2014, 04:12:09 pm »

Well, we still have nukes. Really, a weapon that is fired once (Resulting in utter horror and devastation at the push of a button) is more intimidating then a weapon that has been fired multiple times that always results in very localized destruction. How can you challenge a government when the government is able to obliterate not only you, but everyone within your city at the same time while also being hundreds of miles away?

I digress. Thanks for the info!

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 07, 2014, 05:14:28 pm »

I have three questions:
How fast would a car need to move to be invisible?
How many times a second does a human eye send information to the brain?
How fast would you need to run to outrun a mosquito?
I'm with stupid |
                      v
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 637