Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 683691 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3900 on: July 16, 2017, 08:24:06 pm »

... not jesting, actually. Phrased flippantly, perhaps, but it was otherwise sincere. I'd totes be down with a swath of genderbending remakes, eastern MMO shakespeare style. Metaphorical cornrows for everything! Also literal ones, occasionally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: July 16, 2017, 08:50:08 pm »

Having seen the movie, I don't know why people keep saying it's bad. Didn't blow my mind or anything, but it was pretty alright.

Ignoring that some elements in the movie are aggravating to some people (Two of the characters in the movie are annoying and people have different levels of ability to ignore annoying people).

A reboot that is simply mediocre when the franchise is considered great... Is terrible.

That and remember that a LOT of the PR around the movie was that if you didn't like the movie, you were sexist and a LOT of people jumped onto that idea and ran with it. So what a coincidence that people who might have also found it mediocre say it is bad.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: July 16, 2017, 08:54:05 pm »

That and remember that a LOT of the PR around the movie was that if you didn't like the movie, you were sexist and a LOT of people jumped onto that idea and ran with it. So what a coincidence that people who might have also found it mediocre say it is bad.
"Remember" my ass.  The movie was controversial.
If you really want to spark debate, you need to present at least a little support.  Don't just post the same bait until someone bites.  Gives us something to chew on, heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: July 16, 2017, 08:59:55 pm »

"Remember" my ass.  The movie was controversial.
If you really want to spark debate, you need to present at least a little support.  Don't just post the same bait until someone bites.  Gives us something to chew on, heh.

I am not trying to spark debate. I am saying that the controversy surrounding the movie polarized opinions. Do you WANT a piece of the PR surrounding the movie that caused this polarization?

Or do you mean my older post that brought this up? I did that because I found the answer and people might have been curious.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:02:45 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: July 16, 2017, 09:04:53 pm »

I might have come off harsher than I intended.  I actually would like to see what you were talking about, it's just that the onus isn't on me... this time.
The gender thread might be a better place, anyway.

EditInResponseToEdit:  You announced an answer, but you haven't presented a case.  Which is totally fine, of course, this is a casual forum!  But if you keep repeating the answer, maybe you ought to present an argument somewhere.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: July 25, 2017, 09:54:38 am »

Cultural inclination either towards related/supporting precepts (individualism, gov't distrust, etc.) or against possible mitigating ones (acceptance of welfare, etc.), mostly. Outside of the whole -infrastructure is here thus more infrastructure- thing, using infrastructure in a political/population sort of sense, anyway. Bit of a lean towards being more accepting about being obnoxiously obvious about holding a particular lean than a lot of places, too.

Alternatively, they're the largest single population group that doesn't have fairly severe depressive elements towards the formation (or at least declaration) of the ideological inclination and/or you noticing the demographic exists (e.g. it's not china and it speaks english).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:57:13 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: July 25, 2017, 10:00:28 am »

Why is it Americans seem far more inclined towards libertarianism than other nationalities?

I've only ever met libertarians that were American. I've yet to meet one from any other nation. I'm not saying most Americans are libertarian, but it seems most libertarians are American.
I assume you're using "libertarian" here in reference to the modern right-libertarian concepts espoused by the US Libertarian Party, in which case the answer is fairly simple: Only the political culture of the United States continues to use the word libertarian. There are plenty of "libertarians" in Europe, they're just called liberals.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: July 25, 2017, 11:36:30 am »

Then that's accurate. The Libertarian Party is somewhat more extreme than most European liberals, but that's just because they don't hold high offices and so don't have to be reasonable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: July 25, 2017, 11:58:28 am »

I dont know where exactly on the "batshit map of US political spectrum" I lie.

See, I hold the following (IMHO, sensible) opinions:

1) Regulation is necessary, since unrestrained capitalism enters "end stage", which results in global plutocracy. This is undesirable. It must be prevented from entering late-stage, in order to maintain any positive benefits of the use of the system by ordinary citizens. This means making the plutocrats, and would-be plutocrats sad pandas. Too damn bad.

2) Taxation needs to be sensible. I frequently see several arguments bantered about-- one is that taxation is not the primary source of federal income-- endless huge loans from the federal reserve bank (eg, printing more money) is.  If this is the case, why does the fed bother to collect taxes at all in the first place?  The second is that there is no real downside to hypertaxation.  This is of course, equally silly.  Taxation is clearly necessary (as per objection 1), but it must not become onerous (objection 2). To this end, government needs to actually budget, plan, and depreciate old agencies and directives in order to live within its means. This need not be a crippling austerity, like the EU handed down to Greece a few years back-- but it does need to realize that endlessly increasing the size of its budget, and adding more and more services (without depreciating and removing old services) is not how you manage things.  Government should be much more concerned with the return on investment (Hey, we gave you money for a national fiber optic network-- ISPs, where's the damn fiber!? Give us what we paid for, or your entire boards will go to jail for fraud.), rather than on the intent of the investment (We tried to give you that infrastructure! HONEST!!), or government spending as a mechanism to spur economic activity (Holy PorkBarrel Batman!).

To those ends, I want the government to do what it is supposed to do; Be the arbiter of what is and is not allowable by law, and to be the enforcer for those laws.

Government is not doing its job when it fails to arbitrate the public good, and it is also not doing its job when it fails to enforce the laws already in place (or enforces them only selectively.)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: July 27, 2017, 10:07:13 am »

Rushall or Merri?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: July 27, 2017, 10:14:38 am »

Merri is fewer letters and more cheerful. Go with that one.
Ask not!
Ask!

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: July 30, 2017, 10:08:45 am »

Quick question to anyone else who plays Splatoon 2 - do people AFK less often at higher levels? I'm growing tired of games being either trivial or impossible depending on which side the AFK players are on.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3912 on: August 04, 2017, 03:04:36 pm »

Are there any real recordings of what it sounds like when a bullet goes through glass? When I google it all I get are stock sounds of glass breaking.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: August 04, 2017, 03:09:31 pm »

Probably? Closest a very lazy youtube search got was this. I didn't actually listen to it, because I'm significantly more intent on food than trawling through gunfappery at the moment, but at least the description looks like somethin' similar if it's not precisely what you're looking for?

E: Actually, this might be closer. There's a possible issue of what sort of glass you want to hear breaking, heh.

... also distance. It's not difficult for the gunshot to drown out whatever noises the glass makes.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:17:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3914 on: August 04, 2017, 03:18:14 pm »

Probably? Closest a very lazy youtube search got was this. I didn't actually listen to it, because I'm significantly more intent on food than trawling through gunfappery at the moment, but at least the description looks like somethin' similar if it's not precisely what you're looking for?
Wow, that actually works, thanks Frump. For those curious (warning, LOUD): https://youtu.be/xbG1K8LU-N8?t=4m46s

Now all I need is one where the gun is far enough away or quiet enough that you can hear the hits without the gunshot sound covering it up.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 636