Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686151 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6165 on: August 31, 2020, 09:41:23 pm »

And even then, is there a way to stress all the parts of the brain, sorta like a brain version of Prime95, to measure the brain's peak power consumption?
There's probably some drug cocktail or another that could manage it or something fairly close, sure.

Only problem is I'm pretty sure people just die before peak stress is actually achieved. Human brains don't exactly like being particularly overclocked, more or less. You can do it but the brainmeats don't work very well under too much pressure.
or heat. Question: Out bodies being hardware, are our thoughts/reactions/actions software then? I mention actions since to do them processing needs to take place

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: August 31, 2020, 09:52:18 pm »

Some of it's probably about as close to software as wetware gets, I guess. Others probably wouldn't be, there's still thought/action responses we have basically no control over and can't be easily (or at all without brain damage or somethin') manipulated (other than being triggered to begin with, I guess), iirc.

From what I recall the distinction between hardware and software gets fuzzy when you're talking biological stuff, especially considering there's still a lot we just don't understand well (or at all). Compsci jargon, being developed around stuff we explicitly constructed, doesn't really map super well to talking about brains... so far, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: August 31, 2020, 09:56:51 pm »

The relationship between the brain and the mind is not fully understood. We have a lot operations understandings - specific things that we can do to the brain that can produce specific results in the mind, even very complex results in some cases. But we don't really have a good answer as to why consciousness exists at all or how the brain's operations create and maintain a state of consciousness.

We know that consciousness isn't strictly linked to memory or even to cognition, as is particularly obvious in cases of extreme mental illness impairing those things. We know that we're chalk full of reactions to stimuli, some of which are completely vestigial like the dysfunctional version of earthquake sense that doesn't work on earthquakes and mainly seems to make people have panic attacks in a certain infrasound band. We know that the brain constantly redevelops itself based on activity of use, and this is why feral or extremely abused children tend to be so screwed over and why old people descend into dementia if they don't keep themselves active.

We know that we have a lot of memory in computer terms, and that our actual memories are rewritten by the brain every time they're remembered, gradually artifacting them into obscurity. We know the brain doesn't operate on the same principles as a computer, even if there are orthogonal similarities. And we certainly know that simplistic evopsych analytics do not explain the wholeness of human behavior, which is often consistent but yet sometimes radically strikes out and defies predictions, even though we also know there is very little likelihood anything like free will actually exists. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: August 31, 2020, 10:22:09 pm »

What MSH said.

Also, NG, you might like the book Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Thread: a Metaphorical Fugue on Minds and Machines. It's really tricky to summarize, but maybe you can get an idea from the title.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: September 01, 2020, 01:18:17 am »

Hearing this bird (Or something that sounds like one) right now. I live in the UK and it's morning. It produces a call somewhere halfway between a hoot and a whistle. I guess like a single drawn out (2s), higher pitched hoot followed by a sudden drop in tone right before it ends. Anyone know what bird it could be?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: September 01, 2020, 02:32:23 am »

A dove? Or a pigeon? Depends on how lovely the sound is, I guess.   
Actually, I'm not sure about the "drop in tone" part. I haven't heard a dove or a pigeon in a while.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: September 01, 2020, 03:26:32 am »

Only pigeons I know of around here are wood pigeons, which have that sort of "hoohoo-hoohoo" call.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: September 01, 2020, 07:01:27 am »

Do you live at the coast or inland? In a city or in a woods?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: September 01, 2020, 07:08:32 am »

Probably in a house, scriver.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: September 01, 2020, 07:44:10 am »

Probably in a house, scriver.
well yes, but where the house is located can give an idea as to the bird Great Order is hearing

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: September 01, 2020, 07:53:26 am »

A bird outside their house.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: September 01, 2020, 08:02:25 am »

Either record said bird's song and share it, or take a picture of said bird.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: September 01, 2020, 08:04:28 am »

The pigeons I actually heard have a call that's more like a very soft... Purring or even gurgling. Sometimes a bit like a soft, drawn out "coo coo". Barely audible usually.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: September 01, 2020, 08:08:35 am »

A bird outside their house.

I can't even be mad
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: September 02, 2020, 06:55:54 pm »

GEB is great. 

The summary is: if you have a system (math, logic, etc.) of a certain expressive capability and consistency (as in, logical consistency, not is it like soup), that system can have "properties" that are true that you can't (mathematically) prove to be true.

Regarding brain power consumption: I'm pretty sure brain power consumption estimates are based on respiration and blood flow, supported by thermal imaging.

It is pretty fascinating what the brain can do on so little power though. Especially when ADAS systems in cars pull on the order of kW and they aren't nearly as adaptable as the human brain.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 637