Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686038 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7230 on: April 30, 2021, 04:11:25 am »

Who needs a 360 controller when you have a touch pad on a laptop.

Now that's just cursed. I could see a touchpad being a stand-in for a touchscreen (minus the screen, obviously), actually, but as an analog stick stand-in? Awful. I remember sliding my greasy fingers across my phone's screen to play Pokemon Crystal; that has to be what it feels like. Eeugh. I suppose the older version of that would be the Turbo Touch 360.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: April 30, 2021, 04:34:53 am »

mouselook with a touchpad is cursed alright.

But mouselook with a trackpoint?  (AKA, the infamous "clit mouse" ) DOUBLE CURSED.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:36:34 am by wierd »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: April 30, 2021, 04:43:20 am »

It's not that hard to do mouse look with a touchpad, because I've played Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, and all the Stalker games with one as I have no where for a mouse.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: April 30, 2021, 05:00:19 am »

My condolences. That sounds like absolute pain. I'd compare it to playing FPSes with a trackball, but I've heard of old-timers doing just that in Quake Arena and other similar games. And they were winning.

I suppose it's easier for FO3 and NV, since you've got that nifty VATS thing, but Skyrim and Stalker just sound like frustration all the way through. How many times did you die in those specific playthroughs? How far did you get?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: April 30, 2021, 05:26:03 am »

I'd compare it to playing FPSes with a trackball, but I've heard of old-timers doing just that in Quake Arena and other similar games. And they were winning.
I don't see how that's possible I can't even get a trackball to work for regular computer stuff.

I suppose it's easier for FO3 and NV, since you've got that nifty VATS thing, but Skyrim and Stalker just sound like frustration all the way through. How many times did you die in those specific playthroughs? How far did you get?
I don't really use VATS in Fallout as it feels like cheating, but as for number of deaths I don't think I died any more times than someone with a mouse, and I never beat any of those games as I always got distracted by side stuff, then my motherboard died and I haven't played them since.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: April 30, 2021, 05:48:24 am »

I'm asking because I play almost all games on keyboard + mouse. I'm playing Breath of the Wild (emulated Wii U) with an Xbox 360 controller, and I'm constantly noticing that I tend to just slam the sticks fully in the direction I want to go. No smoothing, no intermediate positions, just *slam*. Very keyboard-esque, where you simply don't have any more control over the movement keys than "on" and "off".

There are shrines and stuff where you want to adjust your position just slightly to throw an object from a different spot. Not wanting to fall off a thin plank is another time to use more precision.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: April 30, 2021, 12:09:18 pm »

I'm asking because I play almost all games on keyboard + mouse. I'm playing Breath of the Wild (emulated Wii U) with an Xbox 360 controller, and I'm constantly noticing that I tend to just slam the sticks fully in the direction I want to go. No smoothing, no intermediate positions, just *slam*. Very keyboard-esque, where you simply don't have any more control over the movement keys than "on" and "off".

There are shrines and stuff where you want to adjust your position just slightly to throw an object from a different spot. Not wanting to fall off a thin plank is another time to use more precision.

Yeah, I played Zelda (Ocarina of Time) on an emulator as a kid and it was ... difficult. I don't fully remember what my workaround was but it was something like switching the emulator's internal sensitivity every time I had to aim the hookshot.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: May 01, 2021, 10:19:02 pm »

Have hard drives gotten worse in access time performance over time? I know that software bloat makes running Windows 10 on a hard drive an intolerable experience, but I wonder if hard drives simply got worse as they stopped being used as boot drives. I've been reading through the Red Hill Hardware Guide's hard drive section, and the author keeps talking about "fast" (e.g. Seagate Cheetah) and "slow" (Quantum Bigfoot) hard drives. I didn't even know there was a distinction.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 10:30:05 pm by methylatedspirit »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: May 01, 2021, 11:24:18 pm »

Hard drives have gotten soft over the years.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: May 02, 2021, 12:27:20 am »

Have hard drives gotten worse in access time performance over time? I know that software bloat makes running Windows 10 on a hard drive an intolerable experience, but I wonder if hard drives simply got worse as they stopped being used as boot drives.
Running Win 10 on a hard drive is no less tolerable than... any other windows has been, over the course of there being windows. Probably more so than the earlier ones often were, for that matter. It's a bit slower than a solid state or whatever, but it still doesn't exactly take long on most hardware in use nowadays.

Folks have odd expectations for computer performance, sometimes...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: May 02, 2021, 12:32:32 am »

Yeah like Linus Tech Tips ripping on budget phones because he's used to seeing and using flagship products all the time. Take the monetary price into account!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: May 02, 2021, 12:34:23 am »

Have hard drives gotten worse in access time performance over time? I know that software bloat makes running Windows 10 on a hard drive an intolerable experience, but I wonder if hard drives simply got worse as they stopped being used as boot drives.
Running Win 10 on a hard drive is no less tolerable than... any other windows has been, over the course of there being windows. Probably more so than the earlier ones often were, for that matter. It's a bit slower than a solid state or whatever, but it still doesn't exactly take long on most hardware in use nowadays.

Add anything disk-intensive, like virus scanners, and you'll see why I wouldn't recommend hard drives as boot drives nowadays. Scanning files tends to hog the drive like nobody's business, and that kills performance. I don't use (external) virus scanners myself, but some people swear by those things, and I'm not about to try and convince them to not use them. God knows they probably need them.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: May 02, 2021, 01:19:51 am »

I've caught some horses in BoTW, and after only getting 2, I've run out of name ideas. I named the first one "Scringus" (I wanted "Dingus McScringus", but it's too long), and the second one "U+1F40E".

I need new names. Joke names, preferably. There's a 9-character limit, but I think most ASCII characters should work. Even "\" works, which sounds risky as hell.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:21:40 am by methylatedspirit »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: May 02, 2021, 02:28:12 am »

You could use this as a name.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: May 02, 2021, 06:28:21 am »

Pålle
Brunte
Russ
Horsey McHorseface