Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: You Are Islanders--Day Three, Monsoon!  (Read 7100 times)

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Islanders--Day Two, First Contact!
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2012, 03:31:42 am »

What should I do as he dosen't want to roleplay?

1 Man Mine Stone
5 Men Collect Grass with knives
6 Men Build as many houses as possible
2 Men hunt
1 Man Be the Lumberjack
3 Woman Make gardening tools
1 Woman Get some eggs
1 Woman supervise Children
5 Children go swimming (practice swimming)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:33:54 am by anailater »
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2012, 03:32:53 am »

Are the women still tangled?
Spoiler: tribe status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: orders (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2012, 05:45:02 am »

ALRIGHT LADIES LET'S CONTINUE

>Three women: tend wounded

>Two women, three men: Craft weaponry from bone

>Maya: Prepare housing blueprints (wood + grass assembly)

>Children: gather fruit, hunt for vermin

After the children are asleep, Maya shall deliver a speech to the populace, reminding them that they needn't feel empathy for the urchins captured from the enemy, seeking two part-time advisors (essentially, people coming up to Maya at the end of the day and giving him ideas as what to do next/where he fucked up today) and someone that would become a full-time hunter, with all the dangers and rewards that provides. Also note in a rather angry manner that he is aware that our conditions are ridiculous but there's only this much that can be done without them urchins cooperating, so if they could do anything about that, we could get going with building some permanent housing about which he's been thinking all day, and that he's even got some ideas as to where put it so it works best for everyone. Essentially, be the demagogue the island deserves!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2012, 07:11:50 am »

Caerwyn: I'm sorry to hear that.

10ebbor10: You don't heal overnight. Since I don't seem to have mentioned this, the system I invented last night is that people heal one health per day, +1 if they don't work (children pretty much always get this bonus), +1 if someone's there to help. The exception is in cases of negative hit points, where the person is unconscious and near death and such, which requires a roll to improve.

anailater: I'd at least like Gunagua's reaction to learning about the other people.

TopHat: No, why, did I miss that? It was late, sorry...

LordSlowpoke: Ignoring that you don't need blueprints (I'm assuming Maya is trying to get out of a hard day's work again), what are you making the blueprints on and with?
Also, what kind of weapons?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2012, 07:41:16 am »

Blueprints of superior housing. Superior housing being a bunkhouse with two or more floors. Weaponry? Spears, or crossbows, whatever'll work. Probably spears.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2012, 07:50:18 am »

I meant that the additionall wounded of the second turn weren't added. Or was that just fluff?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2012, 07:52:09 am »

I meant that the additionall wounded of the second turn weren't added. Or was that just fluff?
That was likely a mistake, which I am fixing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2012, 07:56:41 am »

Meanwhile, An Island king sits on a rock...........
Gunagua Was worried, his scout had reported that he had met two men who were not of this tribe, this meant they were not alone, and that meant their were forces planning to kill him and his tribe, he would not let this pass, for at the end of this all only One shall rule ths island, and his name is Gunagua!
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2012, 07:59:33 am »

Very interesting.
I take it the First Contact didn't go well?
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2012, 11:41:50 am »

I...Uh...Can't role-play. At all. Sorry, but it just feels too...Tacky and cheesy for my taste.

# of people = Green.
Men = Teal.
Women = Pink.
Children = Yellow.

Five men will use the four chunks of Basalt to fashion a spear and pick out of the Good materials, and another Spear and Adze out of the normal quality ones.
three men will work on constructing simple, yet hopefully wind-resistant hovels out of wood, leaves, and dry grasses.
two men will head to the mines, both using a Pick if possible, or not.
Two men will gather additional, loose wood/lumber, preferably to make sturdy staffs, and sticks that can be fletched to make arrow shafts.
Two more men will focus on the small farms, and help to plant tubers/transplanted berry bushes/etc there.
The final injured man will rest, and recuperate.

Five women will additionally focus on gathering eggs and plenty of thick, wild grasses to help make the huts.
Two women will watch over the children, and try to help teach them to stay safe and gather fruit/etc. They won't actually GATHER fruit, but they'll practice it and team-work.
One woman will fletch small sticks into arrow-shafts.
One woman will gather water for everybody.
One woman will tend the injured man.

All of the (hopefully) obedient children will follow what the women training them are doing, and/or hunt for cool things nearby.

Also, curse you, TopHat! Oh, who am I kidding, gold's useless.
So is the OP updated, or not. The tools and such appear to be updated, but the wounded haven't changed.
Spoiler: Orders (click to show/hide)

1 Man Mine Stone
2 Men hunt
1 Man Be the Lumberjack
1 Woman Get some eggs

After the children are asleep, Maya shall deliver a speech to the populace, reminding them that they needn't feel empathy for the urchins captured from the enemy, seeking two part-time advisors (essentially, people coming up to Maya at the end of the day and giving him ideas as what to do next/where he fucked up today) and someone that would become a full-time hunter, with all the dangers and rewards that provides. Also note in a rather angry manner that he is aware that our conditions are ridiculous but there's only this much that can be done without them urchins cooperating, so if they could do anything about that, we could get going with building some permanent housing about which he's been thinking all day, and that he's even got some ideas as to where put it so it works best for everyone. Essentially, be the demagogue the island deserves!

Now we just need...um...hey, we have everyone!
Sig

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2012, 04:29:38 pm »

Very interesting.
I take it the First Contact didn't go well?
Oooooh I'll never tell. ;)
So how are you today?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Islanders--Day Three
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »

Real life and lunch got in the way of an expedient update, as did some other stuff. Sorry about that.

-----

A massive storm is brewing. Before noon, the rain begins. All rolls for fishing are at -1, but the forests are coming alive with plants greedily drinking the water and animals trying not to drown, giving rolls for hunting, gathering, and so forth +1.
I...Uh...Can't role-play. At all. Sorry, but it just feels too...Tacky and cheesy for my taste.

# of people = Green.
Men = Teal.
Women = Pink.
Children = Yellow.

Five men will use the four chunks of Basalt to fashion a spear and pick out of the Good materials, and another Spear and Adze out of the normal quality ones.
three men will work on constructing simple, yet hopefully wind-resistant hovels out of wood, leaves, and dry grasses.
two men will head to the mines, both using a Pick if possible, or not.
Two men will gather additional, loose wood/lumber, preferably to make sturdy staffs, and sticks that can be fletched to make arrow shafts.
Two more men will focus on the small farms, and help to plant tubers/transplanted berry bushes/etc there.
The final injured man will rest, and recuperate.

Five women will additionally focus on gathering eggs and plenty of thick, wild grasses to help make the huts.
Two women will watch over the children, and try to help teach them to stay safe and gather fruit/etc. They won't actually GATHER fruit, but they'll practice it and team-work.
One woman will fletch small sticks into arrow-shafts.
One woman will gather water for everybody.
One woman will tend the injured man.

All of the (hopefully) obedient children will follow what the women training them are doing, and/or hunt for cool things nearby.

Also, curse you, TopHat! Oh, who am I kidding, gold's useless.
Gold is potentially useful as a trade good; the coins could be turned into jewelry or used as a measure of credit.
On topic...
Kamehameha sends off his men to construct and make stuff.
The crafters work together. They make a pick, an adze, and eight crude spearpoints, and finally broke a spearpoint and a stick while trying to fit them onto each other. (Wow, they rolled badly...) After this embarrassment, they head to walk on the shore some, and rescue an unconscious child!
The men set up a simple hut.
Meanwhile, the miners mined three units of good basalt and one of normal basalt.
The wood-gatherers gather two units of wood, enough to replace the wood damaged by the crafters.
Two men work on the farm, and they say that if they work on it again tomorrow it'll be done.
Two women fight off the chickens and snag eight eggs. The other three in that group gather 31 units of grasses and reeds.
The woman carves 22 wooden arrows.
Water is gathered.
The children listen. Between them and some help from the women, they bring in seven units of food. Sadly, one of the women and a child get poisoned!
The people are content. They have food and such. One man, a fisher before the wreck, suggests making a canoe for when the seas are calmer. A woman suggests making containers fork the food.
Kamehameha and four others enjoy a dry night, while the others find what shelter they can.

-----

So is the OP updated, or not. The tools and such appear to be updated, but the wounded haven't changed.
Spoiler: Orders (click to show/hide)
Wait, radioactive?
Robert spreads his orders as well.
The egg-gatherer smashes the eggs in her pursuit of yummy omelettes, or however they prepare eggs in Polynesia.
Another pries shellfish off. Interestingly, the glow increases each time the prier touches a shellfish. Enough to feed four plus craft a similar amount of tools was gathered, but the flesh was so disgusting that it was tossed to the dogs.
One other woman gathers clay. She only manages to get one unit of low-quality clay, rather silty.
The women gathering food do well. They end up gathering 46 fruit, once the amount eaten by the sow is accounted for. They spot an igulv following them, and drive it off...hopefully successfully...
Two other women gather 23 units of grasses and reeds. They are then attacked by an igulv. (Perfect time to test detailed the combat system! Previously, I was just deciding who lived and what got killed based on what was  rolled.) The igulv badly mauled one woman after poucing at her, but the women return worse and  within a few blows kill it. The one woman was mauled got by the pounce and further bites (-10 Health) but will live.
The woodcutter and -gatherers do pretty well, despite their clumsiness today. They found half a dozen birds' eggs and 16 units of wood. They also ran into an angry green tortoise which was easily as tall as any of them at the shell's highest point. They ran, abandoning four units of wood. No one believes their tale, of course; even they start to doubt themselves by the end of the day.
The fish-gatherer gathers only a single unit of fish; it was a slow day.
The crafters craft. They make a pick, an adze, a good pick, and a strangely twitching wooden spear,
The people again bring up the topic of shelter, all the more important due to the inclement weather.

-----

1 Man Mine Stone
2 Men hunt
1 Man Be the Lumberjack
1 Woman Get some eggs
Gunagua tries to act as though nothing important happened.
He sends out a man to mine some stone, forgetting both the lack of a known source of high-quality stone and of a pick. That man instead gathers some pebbles.
Five collect 42 units of grasses and reeds.
The man with an adze brings in seven units of food and an infection.
The builders take the wood from the woodcutter as fast as he cuts it, but can't fill their time. One comes up with an idea: Bone huts! A leaky but serviceable hut of hundreds or thousands of bird bones is made.
Two hunters hunt. They catch a pair of large, ground-dwelling parrots. Ooh, red!
((IRL, red feathers were often used to make feather capes and such for Polynesian chiefs. Catch a few more of these guys and you'll be able to do that for Gunagua.))
A woman gets the 13 eggs.
The children enjoy themselves. One gets swept away with the tide, but another catches a strange, lizard-like thing. It's bigger than a normal iguana and both shorter and much thinner than an igulv, and has only a pair of forelegs, no hind legs at all. Its hindquarters made it look almost like an eel. The creature is termed a peleguana.
There's a bit if worry about the other group, but they have two huts, so they don't complain overmuch. The peleguana has captured their attention. It scares the chickens, even though it can't move out of the pool the children dug for it in the sand.

-----

Heiruphus knew he had to keep being a strong, present figure to stay in power. He helped one of the healthy men hunt. The two of them did pretty well, hauling in two tortoises.  They both also avoided injury.
A hut is built.
The man with the sharpened knife makes three good iguana bone knives.
Another makes a pile of kindling, while failing to make a spear.
The woodcutter cuts down 13 units of wood.
The miner fails to get useful rock; his pick is too crude. However, he does injure his leg.
The gatherers gather 18 units of fruit and a crushed mess.
The farm is started.
That night, Heiruphus shivered in the rain, having let the children sleep in the one hut. It'll be a long storm...

-----

Maya delivered his orders and sat down, doodling in the sand.
Ignoring worries of food, he ordered several spears made from bone. Two are average, one is good, one is crude. One man wasted his bones.
Out of the children, fifteen grasped the severity of the situation. They gather enough fruit and eggs for a couple days, but one gets mauled by an igulv and another gets hit by a fruit. Guess which one survived? On the bright side, one child found a large canoe, washed up by the storm.
That night, Maya shows the tribe his water-ruined diagram. Angered, he redraws it on a waxy tablet in the canoe. The others agree that it could work...

-----

A few notes. About twice a week, there's a chance for an event to strike the whole region. This time, it was a big storm.
A note about tool quality: Crude gives a -1, good gives a +1, and occasionally you'll find or make a magical item.
Any questions?
Sig

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Islanders--Day Three, Monsoon!
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2012, 05:17:15 pm »

Tribe status will be updated once OP is.

Leader: Heiruphus
Landing Site: Unnamed, surrounded by makatea and a rich forest, near an islet with an obsidian mine
Spoiler: actions (click to show/hide)

EDIT: EDITED.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:23:31 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2012, 05:22:53 pm »

((So i only have 4 kids now?))
So how are you today?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2012, 05:48:09 pm »

Bah, forget the color-coding, I'm getting lazy. I like the updates though; - Lots of info, and long, too...Must take a while to write 'em up. Don't worry about rushing, take plenty of breaks and stuff.

3 Men build More Hut(s).
3 Men Hunt for Food. Using the Bow and whatever Spears are available.
3 Men will take an Adze's and gather plenty of Wood.
2 Men will continue to Mine. (Use both Pick's.)
2 Men will Train with any extra Spears, throwing them and stabbing.
1 Man will make Spear(s).
1 Man will make crude practice "Swords" out out of wood.

5 Women will gather MORE GRASSES.
2 Women will watch the children.
1 Woman will get Water.
1 Woman will tend to the Sick Woman/Child
1 Sick Woman will Rest.

4 Children will search for interesting and useful things.
1 Sick Child will Rest.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7