Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 287901 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- CG vs Traditional?
« Reply #465 on: July 10, 2012, 04:08:48 pm »

The problem is simple

The action scenes arn't very actiony, the characters arn't that memorable or well developed (hey did you know that the old guy is a widow?), the drama is almost completely unimportant, and even the dynamics between both science factions seem crazy.

In otherwords as a drama and as a action movie it fails.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 10, 2012, 05:47:47 pm »

Eh, it wasn't the worst movie, or even the worst animated or video game-based movie ever. It definitely looked nice.

As far as CG vs Traditional animation, I'm open to both, even mixes of the two. Some of my favorite films have been Disney-Pixar works like WALL-E and Up. Then again, traditional animation really has it's moments.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 10, 2012, 06:52:27 pm »

Honestly I seen WALL-E and I really don't get what is the big deal but whatever.

UP though is good, albiet too silly at times.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 10, 2012, 06:56:52 pm »

As one of the nine people who saw Spirits Within in the theater at release, yeah it was a rote science action-fantasy with wooden acting skill and some okay visuals and a few good scenes.  It was definitely forgettable.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 10, 2012, 07:00:56 pm »

I really didn't think The Spirits within was all that bad and I actually rather like it. I just know why it is so bad.

It just goes to show that you can like something AND know what is wrong with it. (which for the internet is a unfathomable concept)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 10, 2012, 07:04:29 pm »

Honestly I seen WALL-E and I really don't get what is the big deal but whatever.

UP though is good, albiet too silly at times.
I liked WALL-E, though it's not the best Pixar film. It's implausible at some parts (humans without responsibilities aren't going to turn into unproductive sloths), and I wasn't too into the romance between Eve and WALL-E, but otherwise it was great.

UP was better. The dogs were kinda annoying (all of them), and the house going from some American suburb to South America in like 1 day was really suspension of disbelief shattering for me, but otherwise great as well. I loved the old guy's character development.

Dunno what my favorite Pixar one would be though. Maybe UP. Maybe the Incredibles, just because I always love a villain who has the right ideas but comes to the wrong conclusions (makes for a great mix of sympathetic and loathsome).

It just goes to show that you can like something AND know what is wrong with it. (which for the internet is a unfathomable concept)
I know! I don't know how many times I've written some rather scathing reviews of things I like, and people reply with shit like "don't watch it if you don't like it." You can like things that aren't perfect, people. That should be rather self evident since nothing is perfect in the first place but I guess not.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile

Dammit, I've been watching all those Justice League episodes some hero uploaded to YouTube.  Like this one, which has nothing to do with Green Lantern and he still gets one of the best moments in the show.

DA DAA DA DAAA, DAA DAT DA DAH

I just want to mention I am about to re-watch the entire show. Thank you so much for linking this.

As for WALL-E, I thought it was sweet. Not meant to test your capabilities as a viewer in any way; mostly I just thought it was that sort of innocent romance (both in the interaction and worldview senses) that gave it a sort of charm. Particularly how curious the Captain was, and the almost childlike wonder and happiness he had when he started learning about Earth.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 10, 2012, 07:32:16 pm »

innocent romance

Their friends.

"It's implausible at some parts (humans without responsibilities aren't going to turn into unproductive sloths)"

Actually the hardest part for me to stomach is the ending. Which I won't spoil but is totally unbelievable. To the extent that I cannot supply ANY single shred of suspension of disbelief and I'd rate the ending "Garbage"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:34:12 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:08 pm »

Apparently suspension of disbelief doesn't seem to work for me the same as other people.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:44:05 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 10, 2012, 07:43:13 pm »

Neonivek...it's a DISNEY movie.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 10, 2012, 07:48:39 pm »

Apparently suspension of disbelief doesn't seem to work for me the same as other people.
Do elaborate! Different people have different things that jerk them back to reality.

Might as well complain about Belle bringing the Beast back to life.
To be fair, that didn't have the best ending either. He really should've died or stayed as the beast. This is coming from someone who fucking loves that movie.

PS: Spoilering a movie that's like two decades old? There's a statute of limitations on this stuff man :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 10, 2012, 07:50:25 pm »

You know whats funny? I am not even refering to that.

No I am refering to the much DUMBER part of the ending that none of you caught.

I am not refering to the Power of Love/Friendship... I eat power of friendship/love for lunch and I never get tired of it. In Anime "Power of friendship" is actually something I really love that I wish Western animation did more.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:52:21 pm by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 10, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »

The part during the credits? Hyperdrive?
C'mon dude, just stick it in some spoiler tags.

PS: Spoilering a movie that's like two decades old? There's a statute of limitations on this stuff man
The spoiler tags were primarily for WALL-E's ending.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 10, 2012, 07:54:48 pm »

The part during the credits? Hyperdrive?
C'mon dude, just stick it in some spoiler tags.

PS: Spoilering a movie that's like two decades old? There's a statute of limitations on this stuff man
The spoiler tags were primarily for WALL-E's ending.

humans without responsibilities aren't going to turn into unproductive sloths

Actually that wasn't the issue. The issue was that you couldn't be productive. The entire ship was not only automated but there were little facility to actually do anything productive. Want to study new fields of technology? No facilities on the ship. Want to grow something? No facilities on the ship. Buisness? Automated. Essentially people COULDN'T be productive even if they wanted to.

Mind you... Even I have known people who genuinly enjoy exercise... but I allow suspension of disbelief for thematic reasons as well sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:58:19 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 10, 2012, 07:59:14 pm »

? I'm pretty sure the end credits took place over the course of multiple generations. Hence the tree.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 200