Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Excerpts From the History of Reinhammers  (Read 1249 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Excerpts From the History of Reinhammers
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

Every now and then something interesting, weird, or funny happens in my fort. It's usually not enough for me to want to create a whole topic dedicated to it, so I'm going to use this one as a compilation of everything I get the impulse to write about that happens in Reinhammers.

Some quick facts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I should also note that this story probably belongs here, so if a mod wants to just copy it over as a post and delete the old topic it'd be downright nifty.

The stories I'll post aren't guaranteed to be chronologically connected or even in correct chronological order. Mostly they'll just be amusing anecdotes.

So, on to the first story...

===========================

Excerpt 1: The Foolish Farmer

Iden Idemberul Shanthak Am, or 'Iden Keybastions the Familial Locks of Opening', First Marksdwarf and High Commander of the army of Reinhammers, bit into the camel-tallow roast and chewed thoughtfully. It was a day like any other, although there was a lot on her mind. The goblin sieges as of late had become increasingly impressive. This wasn't a problem because it posed any danger to the dwarves - indeed, even the newly-drafted rookie mace squad had done well this year, having slaughtered an entire unit of goblins by themselves. No, it was problem because so many goblins had been killed that hauling and sorting all of their equipment took up the better part of the following summer.

Oh well, she thought, the bureaucrats can't fault my troops for doing their job properly.

She was sitting on a small platform suspended over a system of water-filled canals. These were the famed 'underwater dining halls' of Reinhammers. Iden preferred to remain seated apart from the other dwarves - not because she didn't enjoy company, but because she spent so much time chatting and sparring in the barracks that a little peace and quiet every now and then was a blessing.

Suddenly a dwarf came barreling through the entryway from the main stairwell. She was covered in dust and filth and dressed in the clothes of a common farmer. Iden recognized her - she thought her name was Sibrek, though she couldn't be certain.

"ELF!"

A mild state of panic ensued. All of the dwarves that had been eating stood. Those who had weapons immediately drew them. A rumbling murmur of tension  enveloped the dining hall.

Until Iden stood and raised a gauntleted hand. Her fabled presence immediately commanded silence. "Where is this elf?"

Sibrek wavered. "It's.. locked in the cage chambers, ma'm."

Iden arched a brow. She knew the elven prisoner of war they'd captured during the first siege by the point-ears had been kept in her cage for years without any trouble. "And how did the elf escape from its cage?"

There was a pause. The planter squeaked, "I was bringing one of the new marmots we've caught into the cage room. The elf asked me to bring it some water.. it just looked so.. so pathetic in there, with its beardless face and.."

"You let it go?" Iden growled.

"No, ma'm... it hit me upside the head with its bow and I ran away. But I managed to lock the door behind me.."

Immediately the entire room filled with laughter. Sibrek bowed her head. Iden permitted the dwarves to have their chuckle before silencing them again by clanging the butt of her axe on the dolomite floor. "You're lucky the elf didn't have any arrows or you wouldn't be standing here. I'll have to remember to have the fool who didn't take its weapon away put on goblin-watching duty for the next six months."

She turned to the two swordsdwarves who had been chatting at a table nearby. They were young, the newest conscripts to the army. They also both had at least one parent who had become a dwarven champion in the past, and were thus chosen to form the backbone of the fledgling sword squad. "Nish. Nil. Go take care of the elf. Whoever kills it will get a bonus on their next pay day."

The two dwarves grinned and ran towards the stairwell. Iden, meanwhile, gave a good long glare to the planter. "You're dismissed. Try not to take pity on anything that eats its victims from now on, hm?"

----------------

Nish and Nil ran up the stairwell they'd ascended so many times before, huffing and puffing eagerly as they neared the cage rooms. Nish was slightly taller and was the faster runner, but Nil was doing a good job of keeping up.

"You can bet I'm going to be the one to get that bonus," Nish called down to the female swordsdwarf.

"Loser shaves their beard off!" Nil returned, obviously feeling just as confident. It was a typical bet among young dwarven soldiers, and one that was generally frowned upon by their superiors.

"You're on," Nish agreed.

They both arrived at the doorway to the cage room in time to see the door burst open from the jamb. A bedraggled elf emerged, snarling curses and swinging her bow around wildly.

"Time to di--" Nil began.

But she was cut short by the elf, who attacked with the ferocity of a wild animal. Both dwarves and the elf traded a series of quick blows, but in the end it was Nil's sword that lopped the creature's head clean from its shoulders.

After catching her breath, Nil turned to Nish and grinned. "Guess I should start calling you 'baby-face', huh?"

Grumbling to himself, Nish stamped off. Nil cleaned her sword of filthy elven blood and followed him, savoring the thought of the pay bonus that awaited her.. not to mention the story she'd be able to tell in the barracks to the next batch of new recruits.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:42:47 pm by Lord Dullard »

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Excerpts From the History of Reinhammers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:48:56 pm »

Caught my interest ;D looking forward to the next excerpt
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:57:52 pm »

I love the fort.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 03:06:01 pm »

Good stuff.  I await the next update.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 01:21:51 am »

That is one flamingly awesome fort.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 04:03:45 pm »

Excerpt 2: Kersplat

Thikut Chainedconstructs - a rather fitting name for the Dungeon Master, considering his profession - walked up the dark gray slope that rose up above him. The monolith he was ascending was newly finished, and was the pride and joy of the priesthood of Reinhammers. Three stories of angular rock connected by smoothed ramps. On the top level there was a hole as large as a small meeting room. A narrow walkway extended out over the hole, forming an 'O' shape. Supposedly there were plans to build a great arch over the entire structure, but today the first phase of the altar had been finished. It was time to sacrifice the first taste of blood to Armok.

As Thikut reached the top level, he glanced down nervously for a half-second. It was a half-second too long. The pit disappeared into the depths of the earth, enveloped by darkness after the first several yards. The miners who had dug it out swore that it went deeper even than the crypts of the city. Thikut didn't know if he believed them, but he certainly didn't want to find out.

The priests were standing on all sides chanting prayers to Armok. Grunting, the Dungeon Master walked over to the nearest cage. Huddled inside was a skeletal-looking goblin. He knew the thing had only been fed enough to keep it from dying. He didn't feel sorry for it - after all, the goblins had never given his kind any mercy during their never-ending sieges.

With a clang the cage door sprung open. Thikut grasped the snarling goblin firmly by the wrists and shoved the creature forward. The chanting of the priests rose to a clamor. The sun beat down overhead - heat was wafting up off of the dark stone in waves, making him feel slightly woozy. But he pressed forward. The goblin had barely enough strength to stand, let alone resist him, but it somehow managed to wriggle around in fright when comprehension dawned on it. But it was too late; Thikut shoved it forward with a harsh blow upon its back. It teetered on the edge, seeming to hang there momentarily, then screamed. The scream dwindled.. and dwindled.. and dwindled. He never heard a sound after it faded completely.

The chanting of the priests rose to a crashing wave of sound. The sun beat down upon the dark gray, unforgiving rock. Thikut turned and walked away.

Video:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-831-reinhammers-kersplat
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:05:16 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:54:55 am »

Not a story update, but I just thought I'd stick a note in here:

Reinhammers has been updated.